Bill Archer and his anti-Canadian rhetoric

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by lerxst, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not sure if everyone's read this guy's blog entry on Carver after the Columbus game, but how the hell is he allowed to get away with his constant abuse of Canadians?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=1120

"...small town rag from Moose Piss, Saskatchewan to Smelly Cheese, Quebec..."

This isn't the first time nor is it probably the last. Anyway, I'm pretty ********ing offended to say the least. Somebody better control this twat.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  3. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Big Soccer should be ashamed that that allow that hack to continue writing his vitriolic garbage.

4. Khaleeji

Khaleeji New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Bahrain
    That's terrible. I posted a comment to his blog as follows:

I've never heard of those places, Bill. Perhaps your atlas needs some updating. It seems to me Carver may be picking a fight with the officials, but his language isn't nearly as offensive as yours.

5. mikey99

mikey99 Member

May 15, 2007
    Nazis like Archer will always try to find something that seperates others from what they consider to be the "acceptable standard". Colour, religion, or nationality are the easiest ones to use to incite bigotry.

6. mikey99

mikey99 Member

May 15, 2007
    unintentional double post.

7. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not quite sure who Candaian's are but I appreciate the advice.

8. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    If you guys want to have a team in our league, then you're going to have suck it up and put up with it.

Your pessmistic view of your own country's ability to form its own league, your history of deriding the American soccer scene, now your presumption of equity and equal say all invite jest and harsh criticism.

If you're offended, that's too bad. It's not a happy life, is it?

9. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Criticism is one thing. Being a pompous ass full of hate and vitriol is another thing all together.

10. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    That's binational soccer, my friend. It's not all snapping up bargain paperbacks and gushing over Cuban beer. You want the passion and intensity? Well, here's another face of it.

11. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What the hell are you talking about? "...your history of deriding the American soccer scene...?" That's a fairly blanket statement. I'd like to see that specific blog entry please. That comment sounds pretty damn irresponsible to me.

Your response sounds more like an American who's upset at the fact that there is a Canadian club in your league and a successful one at that. To tell you the truth; I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact MLB and the NBA don't seem to mind either.

Look, I understand that we're going to exchange some barbs at the expense of our two respective nations, but the sheer venom in his posts makes one certainly wonder. That's all.

12. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008
    personally I think we canadians are too PC... Just call them mexicans and its even... :cool:

13. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Bigotry is part of the game? I don't know what's worse, the bigot or his staunchest defenders.

Like I said, I don't mind criticism and I sure as hell like a good joke. But Bill Archer goes way over the line. Hell, even the powers that be censored his original title. Too bad they don't remove that hack from their blogs all together. Bill Archer must have some interesting photos of the people who run this site though.

14. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    But you know what? This is not a court of law or a debate at Oxford. I stand by the statement, sir.

15. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wrong again. Club soccer has it's roots in basic tribalism meaning I could care less about the nation of origin. I give you the Ottawa Senators. I'm a die hard Toronto Maple Leaf fan and despise the Senators even more so than the Montreal Canadians; so much so that I was cheering my guts out for Anaheim in the 2007 Stanley Cup finals. Ottawa lost and I was happy. 'Nuff said.

I reserve nationalistic support for international competitions.

16. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.

17. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill writes a blog that Carver, your coach who love and admire, is both a whiner and a liar (over-exagerator, at least) and the main complaint is that he said "p*ss" (so I don't offend any sensibilities) and is anti-Canadian?

Guys, there are other ways to express yourselves, other than throwing streamers. Use your words.

1. Moose P*ss, Alberta is akin to Bumblef*ck, Kentucky, a colloquialism for a small, out-of-the-way hamlet. The USA has them too.

2. Bill's article was no more anti-Canadian then, well, I can't think of anything else anti-Canadian except Quebec. It was certainly anti-Carver. That is probably what you could be complaining about if you could just get past p*ss.

18. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    OK. So when the US is playing in the quarterfinals in South Africa will you cheer for them?

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW. How does a piss take get equated with the systematic extermination of about 15 million people?

20. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    What are you talking about? Is Archer's vitriol itself not evidence of the friction that results from a forced cross-cultural marriage? It may be wrong and offensive. But, so what? It still exists. It's there.

21. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nah; I don't think it's that at all actually and your post is rather indicative of the common sentiment apparently.

"...well, I can't think of anything else anti-Canadian except Quebec." Wow! That wasn't even the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Thanks, I'll be sure to pass that along.

You're right about one thing though; it certainly was an anti-Carver rant which lends even more credence to the claim that there really wasn't any need for that additional trash.

22. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    And now you have one of the Canucks thinking that he's the cat's meow by dismissing us as Mexicans.

That's really enlightened. Clever. Stuck up punks.

They are smug up there it makes me sick. And now we have to put up them in our league.

Thanks, Garber. Those Alberta ski-bunnies must really be showing you a good time.

23. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I won't lie to you. I probably will. I like a lot of the players on the US squad and don't forget about the likes of Wynne and Edu. These are two players that are loved here and would certainly garner my support. Although the Gold Cup is still fresh on my mind. ;)

24. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    There wasn't any need? Who cares?

25. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hesitate to speak for Bill, but, if I could ponder a guess, I would presume that the vitriol is not caused by TFC being a Canadian club or club of a different culture, but by the massive amount of annoyance fans of both teams caused each other before the beginning of the season which continues to the present, obviously.

Simply put, I doesn't care for TFC simply because they are TFC, certainly not because they are Canadian, which would truly be offensive. If the Crew had played the Revs in the opener and the same thing here on BS, perhaps we'd be reading a similar article about Steve Nicol after next week's game.

But that could just be me.