Biggest Euro flops

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by FireTrapatoni, Jun 18, 2004.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    I'm wondering, what are some of the biggest Euro flops we have seen over the years, meaning teams that were expected to contend for the title, but didn't advance past the group stage.

This year, we have Italy, who were favored 2nd by oddsmakers to win the entire thing before is started, and now have what I would say is only a 40 percent chance of advancing. What is the last team with such high odds that did so poorly?

2. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal was supposed to go really far in WC 2002

3. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as Argentina and France. I think France were the biggest disappointment ever in the WC. This was the defending champs who only got better in the 4 years since France '98. And they couldn't even score a goal in their 3 group games. Dreadful.

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's really fun to watch italy. Like morbid train wreck fun.

5. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spain, they have so much talent and are always a favorite going into a tournment but never produce. i would say spain as the #1.

6. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    Its got to be Holland so much talent and the still can't play worth a damn

7. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Portugal. Especially if they do not make it out of the group stage.

8. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    How, exactly, are we a flop right now?

9. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be Portugal if they lose to Spain. If they fail to advance out of the group as the host nation I can't imagine a bigger flop.

10. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    ;atvia no just kidding. how the hell could germany not score

11. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

if Germany fails this time, they won't have enough confidence to win the WC 2006.

12. zizou98-00-04

zizou98-00-04 New Member

May 17, 2004
    USA
    Spain isn't a flop right now...

They're just a flop in every tournament from 1964 until now...

:D

13. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    italy plain and simple. although germany's failure to score against latvia is pretty close to flopping as you can get (not to take anything away from Latvia) .

14. Nedved04

Nedved04 New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    UK
    italians and the french i'd sa so far. the french have been so lucky with their results.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  16. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dick Advocaat is the biggest 'flop' for sure.........

17. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Not flops from Europe - flops in the Euro Championships. WCs don't matter.

Or at least that's what I thought the point of this thread was.

Thing is - any country who gets to the Euro finals cannot be considered to be a flop. Going out in the first round at the Euros isn't the same as leaving in the first round at the WC.
    Obviously there's the holders and hosts issuw but nevertheless nobody there is a flop.
    Now the Turks on the other hand....

But put a gun to my head and I'll say Italy are the biggest wastes of space so far at Euro 2004 (apart from some of the first half against Sweden).

18. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    *cough*

19. footie-fool

footie-fool New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Florida
    And pull the trigger too, cuz you appar4ently haven't watched all of the games. No way Italy are at the bottom. Try making a poll and see what you get.

20. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well now you can say we are a flop. And a well deserved flop.

21. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Yep, Spain 2004 is a flop. They were given the third best chance to win it all by the oddsmakers behind France and Italy, although at one point after it began they were 2nd.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    definitely agree on spain, blame the idiot saez - sitting baraja and moro wasn't the swiftest move ever

23. chisko1

chisko1 New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The question is who isn't at least a semin-flop? Greece and Czech? France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Holland, Germany, England... all yet to be really impressive and dominating. Well and the spaniards are totally out.

24. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm not making yet another pointless poll to gather the pointless opinions of the likes of you.
    Italy are among the favourites (infact at one point they were the favourites) yet for a game and a half they've done precisely bugger all. Save for the half against Sweden that I've already mentioned and given Italy credit for, they've looked decidedly less than special.

So prior to last night and the Spaniards doing the normal thing and leaving early, who would you have said was the biggest disappointment?

Portugal? Disappointing loss to Greece who then inturn showed themselves to be ok against Spain. Plus Portugal were never among the favourites at least IMO. So not that bad.
    Greece? Not pre-tournament favourites by any stretch of the imagination, good results against Portugal and Spain.
    Spain? Up until last night they'd got 4 points (well spose they still do) which cannot be considered that bad surely, though obviously them being semi-favourites means that any slip ups will be magnified.
    Russia? A flop can only be a flop if you expected them to do otherwise.

Switzerland? See Russia
    France? A close one. I'll see what the Swiss do before passing judgement. But a couple of daaaaaammmmnn scabby draws from the pre-tournament favorites doesn't show them in the best light.
    Croatia? Again a couple of draws but then no-one expected that much from them so whatever happens how can they be considered a failure?

Denmark? Currently on 4 points.
    Sweden? On 4 points, demolished Bulgaria and got a draw against the 'mighty' Italians. Both Denmark and Sweden are 2nd tier teams here. Expectations were always realistic.
    Bulgaria? Crap frankly, but then who expected much to be different?
    Italy? Well as I said, not shown their much vaunted class apart from a half hour period against Sweden. So far on 2 points against who they would consider to be lesser opponents.

Germany? Flops? Well hard to say, they are being absolutely pitiful but then everyone knew they were woeful coming into these Championships. And pretty much the 3 or 4 years previous for that matter.
    Holland? Yes disappointing, but that's a damn hard group. Losing to the Czech Rep is no great shame. They played good football but lost. Flops? No because they actually played football worth watching - which doesn't always happen with other teams <cough>Italy<cough>.
    Latvia? No. Hell they weren't even meant to be there. Anything they achieve is a bonus.
    Czech Rep? Well, no. Leading the hardest group in the Championships and already through to the next round. Nuff said.

So far in the Championships it's inconclusive, we really need to wait until wednesday to figure out who might take the title of 'biggest flop'. Spain have the title at the moment but Italy, Holland, England and even France could all miss the next round.

25. footie-fool

footie-fool New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Florida
    Is there a point in that blurb?
    I don't see support for your Italy flop theory pouring in...
    Hot air...