Big Soccer World Draft????

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by stevieg987, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If either are needed, judge or participant, I would be willing. I have been watch enough soccer these past few years to arely have a semi-normal life.

If neither are needed, good luck, it was still fun to follow last year as an observer.

2. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Are teams generally locked down after the draft has taken place, or is there the possibility for alterations?

I ask this because perhaps you draft a few too many central midfielders or the judges feel your wingplay is horrible, but there is another team with the opposite problem, and a trade would help you both.

On the otherhand, I can also understand the logistical nightmare of having someone constantly update a master list of teams and make sure only that list is used for matches.

I'd be interested in hearing any other info about how the league is run as well. Cool.

3. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me if the answer to this has already been stated. Because I haven't participated in any of these BigSoccer World Drafts in the past. But how do you determine a winner?

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    meanwhile, I want two clarications.

If I draft Rio and Cassano in the 1st round, how would people rate them?

Rio as one of the best centerback in the game or the out of form Rio this season, or Cassano the exciting player or Cassano the player who did not play much this season..........

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    personally, i've always found rio to be slightly overrated, but he's certainly one of the best 10 center backs

cassano is what he is: a very talented guy who is an almost constant disruption to the team... so i guess it depends on the judge :D

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    The draft is in the format of any major tournament. A group stage with 4-6 teams and then knock outs to the final. You hand your tactics into the judges on each occassion and they measure what you've said against your opponent and determine a winner from their perspective. All the judges do this and the pdrafter who gets majority rule wins. The judging panel is always an odd number for this reason. IF needs be it even goes all the way to pens in the latter stages, but that doesn't happen often.

7. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Completely agree I was just as annoyed as everyone else that people who drafted in the first round just up and took off without letting us know. However I looked at it as a handicap of sorts for everyone that was drafting.

It would be awesome if this aspect of our little game was eliminated but the chances of working out all the errors is a little unlikely. Still good to see an effore to remove as many as possible.

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It might be a tired tactic, but... FYP.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't think that's all-too fair though. I think maybe requiring people with under a certain number of posts to have a teammate who has more (maybe if the teams' total has to come to over 2000 posts?) would be a better idea, since some newbies (at the times) came in and did a good job in terms of participancy in the draft, such as Perchik, ASUCruz and Stevie G... some of them even had pretty good teams (or in ASU's case, one of the best. He was partnered with TPMazembe, but apparently did a lot of the picking).

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you take the oath and agree to worship the Fletch and all that he stands for, so help you God?

Do you agree to undermine all Chelsea players in the draft and disregard them as being sent off inside the first 10 minutes, thus leaving their teams with 10 men, so help you God?

Do you agree to recognise the fact that Henry will not show up for the big games... so help you God?

;) :p

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D
    You mean Darren "Chelsea Destroyer" Fletcher? Of course. I expect we'll start hearing him mentioned for Fifa player of the year real soon.
    I have to disagree to this one. I think it is fair to assume that no Chelsea player will ever get sent off again. I will vow to assume that the side facing Chelsea will suffer a serious injury (and get carded for "getting in the way of Essien's fists) in every game.
    No problem. I hear he'll be at Barca by the time this starts anyway.

;) :D

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nah, he's bigger than all that.

Ah, but I doubt their drafted team will have the financial backing to keep them on the pitch.

With Ruud over at Madrid... and both United and Arsenal fighting for the signature of the man mountain that is Michael Owen (who, after his display yesterday, now has half RVN's tally on the season ;)).

13. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005

I agree that isnt fair at all to not allow some newbies to join because Ii think my first ever post was asking if I could be in the draft and I was one of the few people that never missed a pick or let other players know who to take for me. If you dont have a partner I think you should have someone as a buddy to send your picks to if you will miss a round.

14. Perchik

Perchik New Member

May 24, 2004
    Chicago
    I wonder if we could create a qualification system for judges. Posting 2 random teams (from last years draft, for example) and let them write analysis and the final result. Then, the participants vote whether they are satisfied with the judge's analysis (not the decision itself, but how it was obtained). At least that would give everyone an idea of what each judge is looking for and his priorities.
    And I believe we should select the judges prior to the start of the tournament, so that they could keep up with the entire draft and make notes.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    meh... not so sure about judging the judges.

16. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Lets also get a fair draft order this time.

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What no swimsuit competition? :eek:

I was worried about beating Sara in that one. ;)

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You were okay last year, but we could not trust the next stevieg987. Last year, I actually suspected someone was a sockpuppet from an active poster in the WR. He later disapperaed. I did not want to make accusation at that point. He actually helped me by drafting dumb picks.

I proposed 2000 posts, but now I took it back. I think 200 posts should be fair. The participants from last year should be exempt from this rule.

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I got the last pick last year. At first, I was not too happy picking the 30th choice. That was a actually good place to be. I controlled two picks in a row. :) Due to time difference(I am perhaps the only one in the Far East), I will get the last pick again. :p

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    As in?

The order last year was based on timezones, the question of where we start is difficult but given that the two people running the draft both wanted posting times early in the morning for Britain it was pretty logical.

21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think that's going a bit far. Judges aren't paid for this, they're doing this as a favor. I think we should just cast a bigger net and ask people we know watch football.

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    It was fair. Ballack lasted until the middle of the second round. No one should have any complaints.

23. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suss and I have discussed and would like to be partners. Suss is a returning drafter. We've both got the "requisite" number of posts, open access to the internet, shared team interests and a avenue of communication outside the forum. We would not miss any picks and would like get our names on early to try to stake claim to a spot.

- Jack

24. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    JANUARY into early FEBRUARY is best for me actually just before Carnival and just before midterms!

Whenever it is, count me in again!!!

25. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My take on judges, i think we should cast a large net! but the participants in the draft should have some say (possibly a vote as to acceptability)!
    I also believe special attention should be paid to seeking out at least one judge with a special interest in one of the so called lesser leagues French, Dutch, Portugese, Turkish, etc.

I still not at 2000 posts and i have been on this bad boy almost two years!
    Might i suggest, the idea of re-inviting and then accepting new applicants based on referrals!

Curse of the Nirvaan Dhanrajh JUVE F.C. team last season: -
    Gianluigi Buffon (Injured for all of this season so far)
    Arjen Robben (Injured more often than fit)
    Paolo Maldini (That whole Istanbul mess)
    Antonio Cassano (Contract comess)

Nirvaan's first four picks!
    Being a WC year i am gonna pick all Brazilians....

My personal suggestions for improving:-
    1) Drafting be done for teams of 18-20 players! (Personally the guys who impressed me most were the ones who made the steals late on!)
    2) I kind of like the idea of drafting on my own personally but at the very least drafters should select their drafting teammates personally.
    3) Judges ideally work together for one score for the game. Not a weighted average of four or five different judges!

Again just my ideas!