Big Soccer: sexist?

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by Tishoudy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Tishoudy

Tishoudy Member

Aug 4, 1999
    LA
    Anyone ever wonder why we have to scroll down past a bunch of forums that are less popular than the women's? Why do women always have to play second fiddle to the men?

2. scousekiwi

scousekiwi Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i can agree somewhat. definitely, the ladies section should be above the MLS and US MNT:whistling:.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually I think you've got it rather backwards. Considering that BS is a US-based site, those are probably the last two that 'should' get put beneath the Women's boards. Also, the OP mentions popularity; those are two of the three most-used areas in the forum (MLS has 5+mil posts, USMNT has 1+mil. The EPL has 2+mil; those three are followed by Italy with 0.8+mil and Yanks Abroad with 0.6+mil.)

Anyway, to answer the OP: while obviously not deserved, relegating the women's game to "unimportant" is simply the reality of the larger soccer community. That might be changing as of the past two years, but it'll take a while before it even becomes a blip on most fans' radars.

5. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    That was once the reality for women in the workplace, politics, etc. There's two sides to change.

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole ordering is kind of strange. Even though MLS and the USMNT are among the most popular discussions, the American section is still toward the bottom of the list. Euro-snobbery?

7. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well, since this is a US based site and the USWNT does appear to be the most popular soccer team in the country :whistling: these days, one would think that the women's section would be toward the top of the page.

8. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The average crowd for a US Men's game is 33,000 people. The average crowd for a US Women's game is 11,000. In 1999 the US Women had their highest average attendance ever at 33,000. Obviously due to the world cup. Should I even bring up television ratings or have I thoroughly proven your statement to be absurd? MLS averages 18,000 people a game. I know some people don't like to let facts get in the way of a good rant. If being Romario's "gurl" doesn't work out for you I think you have a bright future as a Fox News pundit. They don't like facts either :D

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...way to necropost.
    Also, way to completely miss the tongue-in-cheek sentiment of the post you quoted. The whistling emoticon not enough for ya?
    You sound kinda desperate, too; compensating for something? :p

10. Tishoudy

Tishoudy Member

Aug 4, 1999
    LA
    I would like to add that I have been a member of Big Soccer since 1999.

11. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also don't like the way the Women's section is so far down. It makes it hard for newcomers to really find it if they were just quickly looking at the website. Instead of segregating women completely why not incorporate them in the other forums? For example, there's a USA forum erI think. They got a "US Mens" forum within that. Why not put "US Women" underneath "US Men"? Put Women's Analysis next to Men's Analysis. For the international teams, they could have Spain Men, Spain Women, Italy Men, Italy Women all in European sections. For FIFA tournaments section, they can put the women's WC and Olympics in that folder as well along with the men's.

I don't understand why the women are in one category on their own on the bottom. They aren't good enough to have their FIFA WC threads in FIFA tournaments? Unless they assume the sexist males that browse BS will get mad or mistakenly wander into the women's forums god forbid... :ROFLMAO:

I don't know, I guess I believe in equality? I mean, what would the issue be if women's forums were more integrated? Perhaps these questions would best be asked in whatever thread is "HOW CAN WE MAKE BS BETTER". If there is sucha thread on BS.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but it's considerably higher than the cooking and the parenting sections.

GambitSWE repped this.
  13. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's because I wasn't hugged enough as a child. Maybe I just haven't found a SiberianThunderT to call my own.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well this SiberianThunderT is always open for hugs! *opens arms*

15. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At the end of the day, it's not politics. It's entertainment. There's no inherent insult in the fanbase watching women kick a ball being smaller than its counterpart that watches men kick a ball, any more than there's any insult in Serena Williams having a bigger fanbase than the #200-ranked male tennis player- who'd probably still beat Serena in straight sets. There's no insult in a female opera singer getting more attention than the male singer.

No one with any sense is going to choose a male Senator, physician or attorney based on gender (I hope). Sport doesn't influence public policy or education or non-sports job preparedness (and it shouldn't) but athletics does have a speed/strength/agility bias and it's not one that women can erase.

Well, it's a website dealing with football, so it's understandable that the bigger traditions (both club and national team) would be listed at the top. If this were a gridiron site, I'd expect the NFL to be at the top of the page no matter how many more people were talking about the game as played by HS and college kids. Plus, there really isn't a physical location that says "This is an American site". The balance of posters could change over time.