big screen must-sees

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Almost all films of any quality are at least a little better on the big screen than on the tube. But I thought I would start a thread about films that improve incredibly when seen on the big screen, essentially must sees in a theater.

Here are five to start, in no particular order:

1) Days of Heaven -- probably the most beautiful film ever shot, or on the short list anyway, it's much easier to breathe in the sensational color schemes. ANd the film just resonates beauty and stillness.Absolutely created as a film for a screen

2) 2001 ASO :Kubrick is so meticulous about his placement. and its resulting meaning that this film loses a lot when chopped into pan and scan. It's unreal in full 70 mm.

3) Taxi Driver -- There comes a time late in the film where I felt almost hypnotized by the visuals. You achieve what Roger Ebert calls an "out-of-body" experience, where you almost believe yoiu're living in the film. Fortunately there's the hard-to-swallow romance between DeNiro and Cybill Shepherd to break the spell.

4) Lawrence of Arabia -- pretty easy choice. The vastness of the desert, and the runtiness of human life, come across wonderfully on the screen., And Lean uses every one of the 70 millimeters.

5) Bottle Rocket -- this is the surprise choice. And it was surprising to find so much difference. But on the small screen it plays like a sitcom. On the big screen, yoiu see how well it's directed -- the sound shifting, the wonderful way that the soundtrack intertwines with the visuals. The scene wehere Luke Wilson runs from the Denny's clone and back to the motel to make out with the Paraguayan girl, it's really goose-bump-inducing on the screen

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good choices, especially Bottle Rocket, except I think Lean is overrated as a compositionist.

Of course anything in cinemascope should be shown on the big screen, but the two best at it were Anthony Mann and Nicholas Ray. Watching their movies on television is a sin.