Bielsa For Assistant Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by MarioKempes, Feb 16, 2022.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t know who the gray hair is who sits next to Pep, but coaches need a truth teller who won’t defer to the boss on staff. It’s why Phil Jackson had Tex Winter. It is a check against groupthink.

MarioKempes repped this.
  2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The problem is instituting a Leeds style of play would force a change in tactics that Greg probably won't go for.

I love watching Leeds play, and would kill for us to adopt their counter attacking style, compared to the slow. plodding, hold the ball up in the opponents 1/3rd drudgery we currently have. We are painful on the eye to watch, whereas Leeds is the opposite. I'll take that any day of the week, and we have the horses to do it.

Quite frankly, I don't care if it results in us giving up more goals over time, as I think we would be a better team overall.

3. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not necessarily advocating for Bielsa-style tactics. I just wish Berhalter would hire assistants who complement his strengths and weaknesses, not duplicate them.

Namdynamo and MarioKempes repped this.
  4. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Why do you think that's what he's done?

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Imagine Bielsa finishes up at Leeds at the end of the season. Now he wants to retire to the beach at Mar del Plata. He can take a six-month gig with the USSF and pay cash for the beach house. You just need the USSF to come up with the $2M.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the question is who is someone who is a realistic option who would fit what people are looking for?

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, its starting to look like he will have some availability soon.......

That said, think its the wrong decision by Leeds to do that.

But.......Jesse Marsch looks like favorite to replace him

8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter is as likely to ok Bielsa as an assistant coach as Mourinho is to ok Berhalter as an assistant coach. ..... But the probability is not exactly absolutely zero.

dams, jaykoz3 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This looks like pretty close to done deal. Meaning Biesla is available, but not coming to be the assistant coach to Berhalter. And unfortunately US Soccer has created the Nick Saban system of hiring fired coaches an analysts while they wait around for their next coaching job.

Mostly hope to see Marsch do well at Leeds, who seem to be a good style fit at least.

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bielsa has a romantic view of the game. If we're honest, we can say that he can't coach defense for chit. His teams are awful defensively, because he always plays an offensive, open game. That's why I would never want him as a head coach. He can't win anything. However, offensively he's got something, and I want the USMNT team to have that something. This was kind of a joke thread, but now it is turning into a meme. #success

Now we see the intersection of the Bielsan Universe and the Marschian Plane which will do 2 things: (1) Cause the known football universe to explode, (2) Drive Bielsa to GGG's house of pain.

TOAzer repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be a great coach to watch in MLS. Imagine him heading up FC Dallas?

MarioKempes and TOAzer repped this.
  12. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    How is this News and Analysis? This is 100% fantasyland. Maybe we can discuss how cool it would be if God was the assistant coach. That would be awesome. Being almighty and all knowing, we wouldn’t even need tactics. If we’re getting torched by a player on the other team, God could just tweak his hammy or make him trip. He would just need to be onboard with Berhalter’s system. It could work.

RossD repped this.
  13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see an MLS team take a swing at him. Would definitely make the league more interesting.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that in 2011 US Soccer pursued Bielsa for the head coaching position, and in 2016 he was again considered, right?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ch-mad-scientist-to-take-over-us-mens-program

15. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not speaking for the guy, but I'm pretty sure his argument isn't that Bielsa coaching the US as being ridiculous. It's more along the lines of Bielsa, who is someone that could arguably be hired for any team in the world, accepting a position as an assistant coach behind (with all due respect to Berhalter) a run-of-the-mill coach with the US.

I personally would love to see Bielsa as the head coach, but I also think that people have unrealistic expectations for the US Men's coach. Regardless of how you feel about Berhalter, facts are facts and he has the best record as a coach in US Men's soccer history.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bielsa sticks to his rigid philosophy, which means he's not likely to win anything. The modern game requires flexibility. Having said that, Bielsa is a great developer of young players and his offensive approach is refreshing. It's a mixed bag. He could be a technical advisor for US Soccer rather than an assistant coach. What I'm looking for is his input on how to develop young players and how to break down defenses. We have a lot of talent and I don't feel that we are getting the best out of them. Injuries have been a huge factor, no doubt, but our attacking schemes lack creativity and are not as lethal as they should be.

deejay repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #43 Clint Eastwood, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Leeds replace a flailing Bielsa with Marsh........................and USMNT fans demand Bielsa.

Bielsa's Plan A is always figured out, and he has no Plan B. Leeds conceded the most goals in the Premier League. They had a -31 GD with him at the helm. They conceded twice as many goals as frickin' Newcastle. Yeah, that's what the USMNT needs! Perfect!

That guy Jesse Marsh knows our player pool and has been available for months.

ChrisSSBB and Marko72 repped this.
  18. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Don't you call my dog dim-witted and mangy. Only *I* get to call my dog dim-witted and mangy.

Well played on the OP, Mario, but it feels like it's time to Old Yeller this thread.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I can see Bielsa taking a 6 month gig as an advisor with an addendum that he gets to go whenever he wants..

20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    he coaches half a team and its led to a disaster within two years. his team is exhausted and beat up while being the worst team in the league they play in. what would he 'advise'.? press the ball don't worry about giving up goals it will hopefully workout...it may be a disaster but hey atleast ur players will be beat up when is all said and done either way.

what young players has he developed?

he also doesn't breakdown defenses at all he just runs guys at the defense hopig they make a mistake.

lastly the us doesn't have a lot of talent. yes the us lacks creativity but its a result of a lack of creative players.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    why does jesse marsh know the player pool? being available isn't a positive either

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It fell apart at the end but Biesla did a very good job at Leeds and was beloved by the fans. He got them promoted and had a very good first season in the EPL. He also was fairly successful as an international manager. If you want him though you’d have to offer him the job for next cycle, not bring him in as an advisor or as an assistant.

23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    it fell apart at the end...thats all you need to know

fans dont matter when hiring a coach you dont hire a coach because the fans like him lol

24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of coaches had success and then had it fall apart at the end. It doesn’t mean that they are terrible coaches all of a sudden.

It fell apart for Conte at Chelsea at the end too. That doesn’t mean he suddenly became a bad coach.