Biden is President - filling out the cabinet and beyond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Nov 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I disagree. But I admit, I could be wrong. I think if AOC had said the same thing, it would be the same.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if true, that still shows the problem with Americans. It is literally impossible to criticize a Jew with regards to their own stated positions supporting Israels actions. That's a problem Americans need to address and it is preventing the US from properly addressing the issues in the Middle East.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is complete nonsense. There is nothing obvious about the infringement of her first amendment rights in her tweet.
    By they dogpiling on themselves, so they don't need my help. As I said, If you need to explain the " point" of her tweet to me, I guess her tweet missed the whole point to begin with.
    Anyway, if that is what she really meant, she may need to rewrite her tweet all together.
    Funny part, I was listening to a Blinken's interview in French to RF1 from 2 years ago and he very much balanced in his views and supportive of the palestinians. Even Faiz Shakir and Matt Duss, Bernie foreign policy advisor, praised the pick profusely but I guess she felt it was the right time to claim that her 1st A rights will be violated. Great timing sense, I guess...

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a pretty vague accusation, have any link to support that?

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

I think Netanyahu is a dangerous, illiberal populist. Everything you say about him is true. He's not doing Israel any favors, either.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Don't pay attention to what high-profile members of Congress say" doesn't work great for me.

charlie15 repped this.
  7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'll agree with you there. But you have to play the cards you are dealt, not the ones you think you deserve.

I agree that Netanyahu/Likud are the worst. I agree that Isreal right now is an apartheid state. I think almost all Americans don't, or haven't even really thought about it.

Boandlkramer and charlie15 repped this.
  8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is she "high-profile"?

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you agree with Tlaib and hope that a person with a history of strong support for Israel will not take the tact of previous administrations and protect Israel from criticism from other Americans.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's a member of Congress who is more famous than most members of Congress, and who appears on numerous news broadcasts as well as being amplified on social media.

Imply that I'm a naive dupe being played by algorithms all you want, but I'm sure you would agree with me that politics is, in many ways, about shaping public opinion. There are conversations which are consequential whether you or I find them particularly compelling. She's loudly participating in a counterproductive manner.

rslfanboy and charlie15 repped this.
  12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.. You are responding to her very valid concerns in a counterproductive manner. You are applying your interpretation of what she is saying simply because Blinken is Jewish. You are not looking at it beyond that and are construing her comment as anti-Semitic, when it is not. Perhaps you should internalize your criticism and find out why you seem to think that a person being Jewish means their stated positions on Israel can't be criticized without being accused of being anti-Semitic.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are really twisting yourself into a pretzel here to defend a tweet that at best is completely ill timed and ill-conceived at worst can be seen as anti semitic.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think pointing out that he holds and expresses pro-Israeli positions means that it's perfectly reasonable to worry that he will target the civil rights of a Palestinian-American legislator?

She didn't express criticism of his foreign policy. She very specifically questioned whether he would target her freedom of speech. The Secretary of State would somehow attack the civil rights of an American member of Congress.

I know we're all numb to this kind of rhetorical hysteria after four years of Trump, but that doesn't make it right.

charlie15 and rslfanboy repped this.
  16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also quotes Blinken in 2016 voicing his ironclad support for Israel and notes that he stood apart from the rest of the Obama administration who were "simply difficult" towards Israel.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that you care, but you do realize that this is not good for right wing evangelicals or Trump, right?

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, every US officials always use the same words, as a matter of fact this ironclad term seems to be a constant. Funny enough, in the right wing circles in Israel, they are very wary about Blinken as a "leftist Jew" and an Obama holdover. You can just browse the comments in the J Post and you will notice.
    Beyond that, you are moving the goal posts big time to interpret Tlaib's tweet. Pretty hard work there though.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because her freedom of speech HAS been impeded upon by previous administrations by people who are strong supporters of Israel and who claim that any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic.

We are seeing it right now in your response. You are literally telling her to sit down and shut up. That's on you. She has a perfectly valid concern and it is something that Blinken needs to address. Will he be accepting of criticism of Israel by Americans, or will he take the same tact that other Israel supporters have taken and accuse her of being anti-Semitic.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it isn't. The Obama administration on several occasions was critical of Israel and its treatment of Palestinians. That made it very unusual for an American administration which generally trip over themselves to back Israel.

But that's because he was in the Obama administration and Obama's administration was critical of Israel. As already addressed, Blinken's position on Israel was reportedly different than that of the larger adminstration. If it wasn't, then it is something he needs to address.

What goalpost am I moving? I have, from the beginning, said the problem with Tlaib's tweet is your interpretation of her tweet. You are the one adding the context that Blinken is Jewish when she is not. She is addressing an issue that she has with supporters of Israel have had with her previous comments about Israel. She literally can't criticize Israel without being accused of being anti-Semitic, being called on to apologize for her comments, then having the House pass a resolution condemning anti-Semiticism as a direct result of her comments. How can you possible say she shouldn't be concerned about her 1st amendment rights being impinged upon given her experience with her 1st amendment rights being impinged upon?

Mike03 repped this.
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's not louder than other members of Congress. She's being amplified, mostly by people who don't share her goals. Again, you can choose not to be a part of that, but you're actively participating in that amplification. You're the one who brought up her "problematic" tweet in this thread. I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't shared it here, because honestly, what a junior Congresswoman from Michigan says doesn't have a big impact on me. I bet you don't know what my Congresswoman tweeted lately (*), because it's not that important, but also because there isn't a right wing bullshit machine trying to make her out to be the enemy of America.

(*) Jackie Speier. Her last tweet was about the anniversary of the Jonestown massacre, where she was shot and left for dead by Jim Jones' guards, and the tweet before that was about Armenian genocide because she has Armenian ancestry.

Mr. Bandwagon, charlie15 and Yoshou repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And the reason she is being amplified is because she is Muslim and that scares a hefty chunk of Americans.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy smoke.....Dude, she literally wrote "So long as he doesn't suppress my First Amendment right to speak out against Netanyahu's racist and inhumane policies" in response to a tweet from Faiz Shakir, himself a muslim american praising the nomination. If you are her spokeperson or her anger translator, you may need to do a better job.
    How in f*** hell a new SOS nominee is going to suppress her 1st A? Is he going to send the State Dept goons to her house to shut her up?
    By the way, I am not in Gvt and know that he is Jewish. The idea that she does not know is a stretch.

bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe that she is making an habit of being loud and obnoxious and attracting attention unecesserarily. We all can agree that she has some responsibility in this as well. Her tweet today was the perfect example, totally self inflicted wound, despite all your efforts to rationalize it.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By not criticizing her for making the comment? Seriously, she made the comment because the previous SoS was part of the group that resulted in her 1st Amendment right was impinged upon. Her comment is based on her previous experience with other supporters of Israel twisting her criticism of Israel into being anti-Semitic and using her religion to justify this position.

I'm sure she does know he is Jewish. She also knows he is a supporter of Israel and her experience is that, as a Muslim American, her criticism of Israel will be twisted by supporters of Israel to be anti-Semitic. This is something that Christian and Jewish supporters of Israel have done to her and it is something Democrats have done to her as well.

You are the one applying anti-Semitism to her comments when her comment is not anti-Semitic and are showing the validity of her comment. Her comment is based on her experience of previous comments she made and is concerned how the incoming SoS will respond to comments she makes on an issue that is important to her.

Deadtigers repped this.