Biden is President - filling out the cabinet and beyond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Nov 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just read her wikipedia page. Turns out, I've been to her Baltimore bookstore in the 90s.

Never been to Hyde Park in an automobile, tjough, so there's no way she worked on my car.

JohnR repped this.
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that is the thing and she is being roasted because of it and hurting her totally righteous cause along the way. That crew is not the savviest from a political and strategic standpoint.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisa Monaco seems to be the obvious pick at DOJ now. I don't think Biden will push for Sally Yates, knowing the Senate may block her.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Irony is, the spoiled rich kids who never did a damn thing that daddy didn't buy for them, meaning Junior and Ivanka and Jared, will call this woman from a middle-class family who worked her tail off for everything that she achieved a "coastal elite," and red-state voters will wholeheartedly agree.

Deadtigers, Mike03, fatbastard and 5 others repped this.
  5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is well done. Good job the team rolling this out.

dapip repped this.
  6. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can’t one oppose Israeli policy and NOT be an anti-Semite? The two are not synonymous are they?

7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’m not sure I agree here, Biden’s resurgence benefited from a perfect storm........Sanders was the front runner......until “bloody Monday”

I even acknowledge that after Covid, and Trump at his worst, revolution was no longer the immediate objective. Any other time I don’t think the dude running on universal healthcare free college and a living wage would be unpopular

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It depends who you ask. If the person you ask is sane, then of course it's possible.

Deadtigers, Mike03, xtomx and 5 others repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my wife would be more than fine with a leftward shift economically; she's worried about the particular variety of leftism that progressives push.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 bigredfutbol, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    That's your take from her out-of-the-blue surmise that a Jewish SOS might "suppress" her right to free speech?

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And weren't we just assured that she was 'really' talking about the current administration cracking down on the divestment movement? Or was that not true, and this was somehow a critique of ISRAELI foreign policy...in which case, why would the AMERICAN Sec. of State be a threat?*

I've seen posters here spin this in different ways, and people on Twitter do the same, but the more one tries to find a reasonable interpretation the worse it looks.

*You know why.

dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Exactly. It was bad all around. I may have had a similar thought cross my head, but I also don't always spout out the first thing that comes across my mind, unless I'm drunk.

If I'm not depressed and drunk, then I'm a lot of fun. If I'm not, then.... well, I hope my insurance is good at the nearest ICU.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps She’s probably the wrong messenger...I think Netanyahu is a POS....his antics with congress to undermine Obama...his speech during lame duck session....

I’m not sure how boycotts became “antisemitic” either.

I Suppose I should only speak for myself, I vehemently oppose Netanyahu’s policies… But that doesn’t make me an anti-Semite nor am I that

And after re-reading above this post, I think we may be talking about two different things.

My position stands, but yea, I don’t know why talib would go right to that.

*my bad*

Deadtigers and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a poor choice of words from me. Fringe is incorrect. The left is an important and vibrant part of the Democratic party . I have a lot of respect for Warren and I voted Sanders in 16. I am pleased they pushed the party to the left on a number of issues the last few years.
    Having said that, the AOC, Tlaib etc are really on their own island now and I am not really sure what they aim to accomplish at this point. I don't want to give them ownership of the left either. There so many better and more strategic thinkers than those.

bigredfutbol and soccernutter repped this.
  15. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mate, I doubt you will find too many around here who support Bibi. The dude is a scumbag and a criminal, period.
    Having said that, I did feel uncomfortable with Tlaib statement and it seemed rather hostile to a new SOS nominee that even the Bernie folks praised profusely.
    Her tweet could be easily construed as anti semite and I was hoping she would have clarified that.

Deadtigers, dapip and Boandlkramer repped this.
  16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea that Biden's SOS pick was Jewish.

Given that the CURRENT SOS is pushing pro-Israel, anti-US Constitution policy, yes, my take from her tweet was that she hopes the next one is less pro-Israel and less anti-US Constitution. From your other post - how can the American SOS be a threat to the 1st Amendment? Pompeo is, right now, and she wants that to end.

I want to ask - do you follow Tlaib on Twitter? If not, how did her "problematic" tweet come to your attention? Why do you care what she says, versus 434 other Representatives? How many members of the House do you follow?

I'm asking because there is a right wing bullshit machine that is raising up "leftists" and trying to make the rest of America think that those "leftists" represent all Democrats. They're doing this because they want to damage Democrats. It's the same type of machine that demonized Hillary Clinton to the point where a whole bunch of perfectly reasonable Americans couldn't vote for her in 2016 because they thought she was corrupt. The machine generally picks women - taking advantage of the built-in sexism in our society - but not always, see Bernie Sanders for an example. And right now, this bullshit machine is lifting up "the squad".

You have the ability to ignore what the right wing bullshit machine says. All Rashida Tlaib is doing is expressing her opinion and representing her district. If her district doesn't like what she's doing, they can choose not to re-elect her. You don't have to take what she is saying and amplify it yourself - the right wing bullshit machine is already doing that. You have the power to ignore it - this will make "the squad" less powerful.

luftmensch, sitruc, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your attempt to dogpile on the Squad, you seem to be missing the point. By having the SoS and Federal government as a whole say that BDS is an illegal act and, as mentioned previous, having states enforce that with laws, it should be very obvious exactly why someone's 1st amendment rights are being infringed on in such an environment.

As for why this specific candidate would be called out for it. Blinken has, on a number of instances, voiced his support for Israel's response to actions by the Palestinians and it is a valid concern that he would take a similar stance as previous administrations with regards to BDS and that movement.

Deadtigers, Mike03 and xtomx repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Yeah. But you are informed!

Charlie's point is that most of the electorate isn't paying that close of attention, and this is handing ammunition to the opposition.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just showing why her comment is valid. You are attacking her very valid concern given the history of previous administrations based what appears to be her religion..

xtomx repped this.
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? This just proves her point. You are literally saying that a Muslim woman cannot express concerns about someone who has previously expressed their support for Israel just because that person is Jewish. Being Jewish is NOT a shield from criticism, even if it deals with Israel.

Mike03 and xtomx repped this.
  21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No. It's that she's expressing a point that requires a lot of history and nuance. At face value, it looks bad.

Most US citizens don't really care about what is going on in Israel/Palestine. Her comments are easily taken out of context.

Her twitter post is easily misconstrued. I'm saying, even if it is a legitimate point, a single tweet is a super clumsy and self-harming way to go about it. Release a thread or an op-ed to give the context of his previous support for Netanyahu's administration in light of her skepticism. However, she just threw a comment out on twitter without context which plays right into the hands of her detractors.

Dr. Wankler and Smurfquake repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for reconfirming her point. A Muslim woman is not able to criticize Israel without being called anti-Semitici. That's called Islamophobia and is just as bad as anti-Semiticism, but, for some reason, it is entirely okay in this country to be Islamophobic.

Deadtigers, Mike03 and xtomx repped this.
  23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Her being Islamic has nothing to do with it. What if Hilary Clinton said it?

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.. Yes it does. Her very valid concern about how the incoming SOS, who has expressed support for Israel's actions against Palestinians as recently as 2016, is being branded as being anti-Semitic precisely because she is a Muslim.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Blinken has voiced support for Israel's actions against Palestinians as recently as 2016? Is there a reason why an AMERICAN politician cannot question an AMERICAN cabinet nominee for his stated position on a country that has a long history of questionable treatment of a conquered people in its borders?*

*You know why

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.