Biden is President - filling out the cabinet and beyond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Nov 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly choosing to avoid making a contentious nomination is not the same thing as refusing to defend the person who hasn't, in fact, been nominated.

If he DOES nominate her, and then backs down, or only weakly defends her--then sure. But until it actually happens, you're attacking him for something that hasn't happened.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, sure. But it is not the first statement along those lines she has said. I'm assuming most discussing know this.

Just about everybody I read had her as a possible to SoS. Yes, Biden didn't indicate he was considering her, but his transition team has also been very good about being tightlipped. That said, McConnell basically said a day after the election Biden should pick anybody "conservative find controversial." She was hammered for Benghazi for something she had no part in, and other than that, she is a Black woman. The indications are that McConnell/Reps could not handle 2 Black women in the two most important non-President positions in the Admin (VP and SoS).

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, even though it's NOT the first time she's resorted to the antisemitic dual-loyaties dogwhistle, it was bad to point out that she did it again? I'm honestly perplexed here.

You two or three degrees of separation too far away to make my comment that Biden is likely keeping the GA Senate runoffs in his calculations into some sort of admission/indictment that he's unwilling to support a Black woman.

McConnell is a shameless nihilist. Biden knows this.

charlie15 repped this.
  4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is the day Biden became President-elect...

Oh wait!

sitruc, rslfanboy, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Amen, brother!!

Auriaprottu and charlie15 repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Kind of amazing that Sleepy Ben Carson made it all the way through

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hey now!! Make room on the fainting couch. She is a stunner. What tribe is she? And she should definitely head it up as the last head was pro Trump and she came out for Biden. Shame her name is not more tribal like my personal fav Lawrence Eagle Hawk.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Gotta disagree. What happened to Omar and the way the way the press spins it is her concern. Duct tape over the mouth physically is not how 1A right are taken. Being harassed and attacked for sharing a view point is. At no point has any US president or government ever dropped the hammer on Israel for their actions. Papa Bush cut funding due to settlements and was torn apart in the press. So Israel has left the two state solution behind and they should be called out on it. But as soon as anyone does they are attacked for anti-semitism. The GOP is gonna play that card, it would be nice if the Dems stood behind their reps right to Express their opinion. Also Tlaib is Palestinian-American and reps the largest Muslim city in America. Israel Palestine relations matter to her people. She should be free to go off the ranch as much as a guy like Gaetz is but instead her party continually have people who criticize Israel out to dry.

Meanwhile people are free to pile on Muslim nations. Watch how much shade will be thrown at KSA and no one will question is it Islamophobia.

fatbastard, Auriaprottu and soccernutter repped this.
  9. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Sonny Sixkiller is available.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the Future.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DSB only targets the single Jewish state in the world, that is why it can be anti-semitic.

Maybe if it were a movement to force American companies to divest from countries with terrible human rights records then it could pass as not anti-semitic.

But China would probably be on that list, good luck getting American companies to divest from China.

Deadtigers and Funkfoot repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I guarantee you that I am the only person on this board to have seen Sonny Sixkiller play live, both in football and in basketball.

fatbastard, Dr. Wankler and chaski repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I do follow some very Lefty Chicago fire fans on twitter, well some of them are not liking some of Biden picks, what did they expect, Sanders and AOC for everything?

I also did not know that Glen Greenwall had a nice following with the far left, I guess is the thing. (The replies is what I am talking about, sorry I posted the initial tweet only)

1331757380669943808 is not a valid tweet id

14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I guarantee that I am the only one who saw Sonny Sixpackkiller play.
    (That was the name of an intramural flag football team when I was in college.)

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's a damn fine college IM team name. The Hung and the Restless was probably the best at my college, though my indoor soccer team's was pretty good: White Punks on Dope. Which was funny largely because the team was mostly Indonesian Muslims who thought the Tubes' song was hilarious, and I was the only white guy on the team.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, the list did include one...

charlie15 repped this.
  17. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    NORML repped this.
  18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that means I won't hang out art the WH. I am allergic to cats. :sneaky:

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers, dapip and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean unfair as it is on Rice, there is no real need for Biden to open up an opportunity for the rage machine right now like you say.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still probably my favorite college quarterback
    I've only seen him play football live (and a bunch of times on TV).

I'm not 100% on board with all Biden's picks, but they are all actually qualified for the jobs they're being mentioned for, so that's a nice change.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It was a "Husky basketball alums vs. current Husky football team" charity hoops game, so I was reaching deep down there.

Deadtigers, chaski, crazypete13 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There is a part of me that wants to tell every GOP type to go die in a fire and pull the same shit that the GOP has pulled on us for years. And the last four years have made it stronger.

Deadtigers, bigredfutbol and dapip repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...p-polarized-climate-change-health-immigration

Interesting article. It starts with a pair of premises. One is that the GOPs are going to engage in bad faith arguments and obstruction and general ********ery in an attempt to tank the US and hurt the president's party in 2022. The other is that under Obama the Dems failed by operating under the "old" rules, in particular the notion that the "right" way for a president and his party to pass their agenda is to pursue one big initiative at a time. (The article has a good recitation for you kids out there of how the GOPs responded.)

The writer proposes that Biden steal a page from Trump, in a way, by trying to do everything at once. Trump showed that in our current political-media climate, brazen, constant, pervasive lying has no repercussions. The writer's corollary is that Biden should try to push his entire agenda all at the same time. The idea is that the GOPs are going to react to everything as an American version of Maoism, that the number of persuadable voters is nearly nil, and that the media is wedded to both sidesism. So Biden should flood the zone because the reactions are going to be the same regardless.

"By constantly acting, being on the offensive, generating new stories and controversies, he [Trump] simply overwhelmed the ability of the system to fasten on any one thing.

Biden should learn the lesson. All that matters is what gets done, put on paper and into law. The rest is vapor.

The administration should staff up as rapidly as possible with ambitious young progressives and tell every single civil servant that the next two years are going to be a full sprint. Start immediately rewriting and reimplementing the environmental, public health, and worker safety regulations Trump has weakened. Reverse his immigration policies. Drop his lawsuits."

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And lots of executive actions (if dems fail to win in the run offs).