Alert: Beware! Here Be Not-Minnows! - US v Mexico | CONCACAF Nations League Final - 6/6/21 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jun 4, 2021.

?

What will be the result of the USMNT's 6/6/21 match vs Mexico?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2021.
  1. Win by two or more goals

6.3%
  2. Win by one goal

3.1%
  3. Win in extra time

3.1%
  4. Win by penalty shootout

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lose by penalty shootout

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lose in extra time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lose by one goal

21.9%
  8. Gregg Berhalter Disasterclass (formerly Lose by two or more goals)

21.9%
  9. Tiro! Tiro! Tiro!: Steffen makes >2 saves and Mexico takes >13 shots (worth 2 points!)

37.5%
  10. "And now... to reveal my ULTIMATE POWERPOINT!" -Gregg Berhalter

6.3%
  1. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United States vs Mexico

CONCACAF Nations League Final – Sunday, June 6, 9:00 PM – Empower Field at Mile High

Broadcast: CBS Sports Network, Univision, TUDN, Paramount+

Vitals (last five matches):
    United States
    4W-1L-0D | 15 GF / 4 GA / 11 GD

Mexico
    3W-1L-1D | 5 GF / 2 GA / 3 GD

Goal Leaders (on roster):
    United States
    Christian Pulisic - 15
    Sebastian Lletget - 7
    Weston McKennie - 6

Mexico
    Andrés Guardado - 28
    Hirving Lozano - 14
    Uriel Antuna - 8
    Jesús Corona - 8

Previous Meeting:
    Friendly
    September 6, 2019 @ MetLife Stadium, New Jersey
    United States 0, Mexico 3

Notes:
    Neither team was especially convincing in their previous match. And I'm not about to go back and watch the Mexico-Costa Rica match so... I don't know what to expect other than pain and offensive chants.

BRING IT ON!

*bald eagle sound*

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost went for the two-pointer, but I’m not sure it’s a lock that Steffen even plays.

3. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm going to roll the dice!

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Steffen doesn't start I'm rooting for El Tri

Salacious Bum and LaMacchia repped this.
  5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?
    Why wouldn't he start? Yeah, he made a bad play out of the back and made a bad decision on positioning in that scrum in front of the goal, but he also shut down a 1v1 which should have resulted in a goal.
    No way I'd play Horvath, much less Ochoa, instead of BMF.

6. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Habrá muchos tiros. Mas tequila por favor.

chr1st repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *looks at poll*

[​IMG]

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't been playing, and he's not in great form.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not ADVOCATING for starting someone else. There's just enough doubt to make me not want to select his option in a nonsensical unofficial internet contest.

9. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're being mean to me so it doesn't matter what you pick; you aren't getting a Grouchy.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  10. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ********. That should have been a private conversation.

ZipSix repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See you in pretend court, motherf***er.

You're in trouble now, because every point my lawyer gets me earns him a 12-pack of Kyle Brews.

CybrSlydr, the_rickler and chr1st repped this.
  12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually private messages are where the tough guys are nicer and work things out. Not our boy, @chr1st.

CybrSlydr and chr1st repped this.
  13. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen plays with the one of the best teams in the world and trains with one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

“Form” is not really the same with goalkeepers as field players. Zack is in form, I promise.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The combination of the kickoff times and 90 minutes of Berhalter ball makes anyone who stays up for the whole match a MOTM or Realest Fan candidate.

ZipSix, GoCrew1996 and TKyle repped this.
  15. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    From ESPN,

"Mexico's roster averages at 28 years, 89 days and 40 caps, with the U.S. squad has an average age of 23 years, 336 days and 18 caps."

Lots of young talent, but we are a cycle away from competing with Mexico A team versus A team.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree--right now. A lot will depend on how this team gels. Young teams can sometimes best more experienced teams. But it's unlikely to happen today. By the end of 2022 (World Cup time), it might.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Losers mentality!!!!

YITBOS and TKyle repped this.
  18. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to some podcasts yesterday and they brought up a point I hadn’t thought but makes a lot of sense - when some of these “future star” players were coming up through the national team, they also had a huge veteran presence to take some of the load off and allow them to just play. These young guys don’t really have that. Sure they have all the club success but when they play with the national team - it’s all on them and there’s not a lot of vets to help keep the team in line.

Brooks is the only player in the pool with WC experience. Acosta, Lletget, and Pulisic are the only others with WCQ experience.

When Dest balls out at Barca, he has a world class set of players around him to help out. Same with Reyna, McKennie, Pulisic, etc.

There is no doubt the talent is there but it’s going to take time to reach their full potential - especially in a crapshoot like CONCACAF.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said lose by 1. Even with Mexico down Jimenez, Vela, and others.

I see a lot of promise but little production from our group so far. Especially in USMNT jerseys. Steffen, Dest, Pulisic, & Reyna have not even approached Keller/Friedel/Howard, Dolo/Frankie, & LD/Clint. And I don't see a McBride, Jones, Ramos, Claudio Reyna, or prime Bradley either.

Yes, they play for bigger clubs. But have not seen it for the Nats yet. Early days, however.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big games for Curacao (Room) & Etienne (Haiti) on 6/8. Curacao host Guatemala & Haiti Nicaragua. Winners advance to play in ties for spots in the Octagonal. Losers go home.

Draws should also work has Haiti has a better GD than Nicaragua. Curacao & Guatemala are tied but Curacao lead on goals scored. T&T were eliminated last night.

FWIW, Curacao are in the Gold Cup. As is Costa Rica. Haiti & T&T could still qualify.

TKyle repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the US problem is that all our players are supporting players for their clubs, no one is “the man” or at least one of the top two or three undroppable players. There is no player for the nats used to taking on all the pressure. The closest players we have to that are Brooks and Long for Wolfsburg and RBNY respectively.

22. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Every Euro US player would be the man on every MLS team, not sure this has weight.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the fcuk cares about that? What relevance does that have to reality?

The fact is, day in and day out, game in and game out, our players are role players and supporting players, all Robins and no Batmans.

Are you saying Pulisic would be better off playing for Philly? McKennie for Dallas? Reyna for NYCFC?

Sargent would’ve been better off playing for SKC instead of Werder Bremen, I’ll give you that. But did that ultimately work out for Jordan Morris staying in Seattle? He’s a very good MLS player, never consistently did it for the US though.

Dempsey was the man, or close to it for Fulham, and you could see how he’d take control of games for the US. He called for the ball, he wasn’t scared of the pressure or responsibility. He lived in, day after day, for years. No US starter has the responsibility of making things happen for their team, sans Brooks and Long.

LaMacchia repped this.
  24. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    You just went off on some wild tangent that I didn't even make a case for. I didn't imply anything about being better off in MLS. You have one example of a US player that yourself you say was is only close to it in Dempsey. Most all US players have always been role players in Europe. Being the man on a MLS team doesn't mean sh!t, just like you said.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what’s the point of this?

Good players can be the man on any team if they drop down enough levels. I mean, yeah. If being the man on an MLS team is all we will ever have, then the US will never do shit.

The point I’m trying to make is that we have a team full of Pippens and no Jordans. When the team is struggling, we have no one that is used to being the man everyone looks to to break a team down. We have no players, at any level in any league, that do that. This, IMO, is a big reason why things seems to stall in the final third. Everyone just stands around waiting for someone else to take over.

Brooks is the only guy we have in this squad that is even looked at as a leader(s) for his domestic team. The only other players that might fit that bill are Yuell (SJ) and Acosta (Colorado).