Better athletes - rugby/American football?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by ozhawk66, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    For some reason Howlett just seems out of place being an All Black. I dont rate the guy. who would you go with? Will Richie McCall play flanker? and how different a team is it to the one that handed it to England in the summer of 04?

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Norm Maxwell is pretty pedestrian. Is Keith Robinson fit? He might be the down and dirty lock the All Blacks need to combat the Lions lock pairing (of which I have no idea what it might be).

McCaW will play. He got concussed but there's no way he's not playing unless he gets run over by a truck before the series.

God, I want to cry looking over the Lions squad. There is such dreck in this team. McCaw is going to eat Neil Back alive (******** me if Lord Bald picks Williams at 7).

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL athletes endurance athletes? Hardly. Fit? In most positions a resounding yes.

American Football is an almost completely anaerobic sport. That is not to say that the players arent fit, but that they simply do not need to develop aerobic resperation. Its one reason why they can get so big, the more muscle you have, the more oxygen you must process in order to feed your muscles for aerobic activities. You at some point are limited in size by lung capacity in aerobic sports. But in anaerobic sports, there is no limitation to how big you can get.

Now that said, the NFL is totally about short bursts of speed and power and mass. Unless your an offensive linemen where you can carry extra pounds, and are actually advantaged by the additional mass, NFL athletes are best advantaged by being extremely fit.

Athletic specialization. Every sport has it, even within the same sport. Comparing the sports is really just identifying what those specialties are, and then saying one is arbitrarily better then the other. The truth is, it depends on what your doing. Powerlifting or tug of war or sprinting? NFL. Soccer or middle distance running or crew? Rugby.

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, the patriots would do a better job in Rugby than the super 12 champion would do in football, but football is such an insanely specialized sport that there would be certain positions Rugby players would be completely overpowered at. NFL players would lose in Rugby, but could at least in the early stages give a Rugby team fits because of their superior speed and power, at least until they started to tire. Well, unless your talking about some of those offensive linemen, who if you fielded a team of only them would lose badly.

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Howlett dosnt create any of his chances anymore hes simply become a finisher and thats not good enough for the all blacks

rico gear on the other hand is finishing and creating havoc down his wing, he should get the number 14(probably wont do)

just like kelleher will once again play second fiddle to the useless overated marshall

McCaw should play if he is passed fit

and regarding keith robinson he has yet to play this year, theres rumours going round of rueben thorne as lock

6. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Back is in the Lions squad? he retired from England NT rugby.

7. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've played both, football in high school, rugby with club players.

both are very painful. i got more injuries from football and more pain from rugby.

everybody thinks their sport's athletes are 'better' which is dumb. athletes are specialized. they pick a sport as a teen and push themselves in that direction. different sports demand different talents and abilities, and they don't waste time working any skill that doesn't help them.

besides, the best athletes in the world are olympic freestyle wrestlers, so this whole thing is silly.

8. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

Blinkered? I might be able o agree with that ;)

9. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

Depends if you win or lose. No pain when you win :cool:

10. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

It looks like it, but what your really seeing is players being taught to drive through the numbers. The helmet actually goes to one side of target area. Leading with the head like your suggesting would lead to massive injuries on a daily basis. When it is actually done, players are fined, heavily.

11. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

I hope he can make it back to a respectable level.

12. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

13. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    To sum up the debate so far, comparing the level of play in professional rugby/league to the NFL, is like comparing pro basketball leagues around the world to the NBA. Generally speaking, anyway.

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

No it's not - its a fact. The fact that the roles of forwards vary so much between the two rugby codes mean that the fitness requirements for each are different. Ask any forward who's played both games at even a reasonably high level.

I'm not talking about Australia. Worldwide, Rugby is a far more popular and well-known game. League has very little following outside Australia/NZ and the UK, and even there interest is highly concentrated in Qld/NSW and Northern England respectively.

Therefore, when making comparisions like this it makes sense to pick one code (league or union), or at least distinguish between the two when you're making comparisions. To equate them to one another is silly, as any player of either code would tell you. Personally, I'd use Union for this comparision, merely because it is the code most people on this board are going to be familiar with.

15. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    If you think that this is what Hanky is saying (and I am agreeing with), then you didn't read his post. Or at least, didn't digest it properly.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Forgive me if I don't give much credence to your... ahem... "learned" opinion on rugby union.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    No. It's like comparing squash to tennis. Totally different games, totally different types of fitness. Totally different conclusions about which produces the better athlete dependant on how you define that term.

The decathlete has often been widely considered or referred to as ultimate athlete. That's why I think Hanky's definition is best. But ultimately it's a matter of personal opinion, which is why this argument is so futile.

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    in new zealand union is by far the most popular code

19. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

When the differences between rugby and league needs to be noted in comparisons to football, I do so. If not, it's a slight oversight on my part.

20. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

Wasn't much to digest in the 1st place. Matter of fact, my retort was longer than what I was replying too.

21. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

You took my 'I don't watch union' comment out of context. I'll explain for others as you conveniently glossed over that fact; I don't watch but I have watched the sport, if you know what I mean. That's basically what I said the 1st time around.

Methinks you did this so you wouldn't answer what I had posed in the 1st place.

22. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

Different games with comparable aspects and athletes in each sport. Saying rugby/league is different from football is stating the obvious. And I don't know why the decathlete merits discussion in this thread. The only thing NFL players have in common with Olympic athletes are Olympic sprinters and Olympic type speed amongst the faster NFL players.

Except for Hershal Walker who anchored a 4-man bobsled team in the Olympics with very little training. And they just used him for his combination of size and speed.

23. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia

That's why the NRL supports the Warriors so much.

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i suppose so

25. ozhawk66

ozhawk66 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Maybe a better question would be: wich positions and athletes (by name?) could make a transition from one sport to the other.