Best you have seen Italy play aswell as your most memorable?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Totti and ADP never really worked. It's more important to have a system that works well rather than just trying to fit all your best players in the team.

2. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    1934 was the most crooked World Cup ever. It shouldn't be counted as it devalues both the World Cup and football. Mussolini's corrupt practices were outrageous.

3. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    We have Cassano.

4. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    This is true, though it wasn't a serious injury, it was just a minor muscle strain he picked up in the CL final. It did seem to affect his form though (as you said), he was particularly poor in the game against Norway.

5. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yea, but we don't have three Cassanos. And, IMO, I'd take a young ADP, Baggio and Zola over three Cassanos any day. Now, we have an unchosen Cassano, Di Natale and young Rossi in comparison. Like has been mentioned previously, what a low talented group compared to previous decades. And, that's just on the offensive side of the ball, don't even get me started on comparing our prior defensive lines to the current one.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw movies and read Vittorio Pozzo's book and although you may have a point, I don't think the games were thrown......then again you can say this about any one of the cups....They say in 1978 Argentina had to beat Peru by four clear goals to go through to the final. Argentina beat Peru suspiciously and easily. Peru trailed 2-0 at half-time and then somehow fell apart in the second half. Argentina eventually won 6-0. Rumours suggested that Peru might have been bribed to lose the game because the Peruvian gk, Ramón Quiroga, was born in Argentina but nothing could be proved.

Sorry...you are right.....

7. ITA-SSCN=AZZURRI

Sep 15, 2008
    Ferraro factory
    Dont forget 4th in 1978 WC :eek:

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah well I didn't list 4th places......

9. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    How about 2nd in 1970???

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Already ruled on that counselor! ;)

11. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Under Dunga, no doubt; however, there is no denying that flair is the Brazilian MO throughout history. And as much as I would like to argue otherwise, they have been more successful than we have.

12. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    arguably! They have 5 wc titles, we have 4. They beat us on PKs in 94 which as we all know could go either way so we could easily be the ones with the 5 * rather than them based on that 94 loss.

13. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yea, but that's a poor way to look at it. You could also say, well we won in 2006 on PKs so we all know that could've gone either way. So, just as likely we could only have 3 WCs and France with 2. As much as I hate Brazil, I have the utmost respect for Brazilian NT football.

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ya unfortunately i like to argue italy is better than brazil, i just hate brazil but we cant deny their greatness

i think what italian football lacks compared to brazil is mentallity. Italians just like us iranians are emotional and in a 90min match you need strong mentallity. Strong mentallity brings consistency. Especially in the past few years the azzuri defense has been shaky. You can sense the nervousness sometimes during the game, while brazilians stay calm and try to come back.

What messed it up for italy was the confed cup, and the 2-0 friendly loss few months before it. Before that, everything was tied up in all time record. 5 wins, 5 lossses

15. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I don't think Italy lacks mentality at all. On the contrary, it is one of our strengths.

We are not England or Holland.

16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not since after world cup...thats how all those losses came about....there was no reason for brazil to score 3 goals in 8 minutes...especially the last one a crappy own goal...or even the 3-0 loss to holland....

17. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yes Thanks to Marcello Lippi we got this honor as well as the first loss to an African Team Egypt...his stubbornness will surely humilate us furthermore this WC, if anyone was needed to mesmerize Brazil it was Cassano, but he still hates the guy and will not even include him in a friendly, he is our best creative player, and surely he would have played with any other NT except Lippi's...

18. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

oh god yea dont even remind me of the egypt loss....i had to hear it from my friends saying oh ur team lost to a-rabs??

but u know as much as we complain about lippi he's MUCH better than that disaster Donadoni.....it was actually him who started this downhill slump after the world cup

19. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Not really, they are more or less the same players. It's just that the players have regressed rather than them lacking mentality.

20. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Italy has always been a bit of a moody team, But when the games matter 90% of the time Italy comes through. A lot of my English friends always tell me that Historicly England has a better record against Italy in Head to head match's. But when you look at games were they actually mattered Italy has a way better record.:D

21. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Actually Italy is one of the few sides that England don't have a better record against in head to heads.

22. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The best I saw Italy play was in the EC1996 . Strange enough they got kicked out in the first round.
    One of the reasons was the very tough group where they got in ,the other the last game against future-EC Germany where the Belgian referee make the mistake not to sent the GK off the field with a red card but only give a penalty which was sadly missed by Gianfranco Zola.
    Not sending of the GK was a huge factor in not winning this decisive match :(
    Another good performance was the EC 2004 where again they exit in the first round,they created good goalchances but failed to score them...
    Vieri was not at his best. His WC & EC goes from up to down. very good in 98, good in 2002 to 'reasonable' in 2004...

24. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I think Vieri was awesome in both the WCs he played and was pretty bad in Euro 2004.

Would've loved to have seen him at Euro 2000.

25. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And after the EC2004 it goes more downhill with him...
    At EC2000 he was injuried I believe,if he was fit that time it could be the a different story,knowing that they reached the finals...