Best Way To Improve Speed.

Discussion in 'Player' started by soccertis, Nov 15, 2004.

1. soccertis

soccertis New Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Niagara Falls, Ont
    There are a couple ways to improve your speed. Sprints ? Hurdles ? Ploymetrics ? But the best way to improve your speed subconciously, is ankle weights. I purchased mine for 10 dollars at my local Wal Mart. When you work bussing tables or waiting tables, strap on some ankle weights and work a 8 hour shift. After a couple days, you will realize you are walking on air, and your quickness is unbelieveable. I even took another step up and strapped on a extra couple pounds. The only pain you suffer is the rubbing against your ankles, but putting your socks over the weights can help that and if you work past 11 hours you may feel a little light headed lol. You will forget about the ankle weights, and you are making money and improving your speed while you do it.

2. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    wait until your older and you have knee problems

3. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Quick results may cause serious injuries later. By the way these ankle weights had been already discussed briefly here, folks said this is a risky way.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would normally agree, but i doubt that ankle weights would have any noticeable, negative effect if used only for walking and stuff, opposed to running.

5. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    Hey,

I was the one who posted the previous post, (Titled "Ankle Weights") a few weeks back in this board. I know they are unbelievable. They make you such a quick player, give you an awesome shot, and make jogging and sprinting effortless. I was really worried about getting injured, so I started a post and found out that they may cause some knee strain. Two weeks later I am having some minor knee troubles. I am really hoping that it's just because I'm 17 and I grew about 4 inches in the last six months and Im just having growing pains, etc. But my warning to you is Take it Easy and at the first sign of knee problems QUIT or reduce significantly. I havn't been using them for about a month and I'm still having pain so I think I'm going to use them sparingly after I heal.

Some advice:
    Don't kick balls with them on

I liked doing some light excersices: karioke, high knees, butt kickers, etc. and I don't think their to harmfull or strenuous.

Try excersices where you lay down and do excersices like moving legs up, down, side to side. But be carefull not to hurt lower back.

I know how amazing they are. They took me from a mediocre player to a very good one in a short ammount of time, but I would hate to recomend them if they are dangerous. If someone could get a professional 100% answer on their injury potential it would make my YEAR.

-Yourself

6. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia

karioke??? you like to sing in ankle weights?

7. Soccerbest7

Soccerbest7 New Member

Aug 16, 2004

lol no. It's a warm-up exercise

8. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actually spelt "cariocas" I believe. Basically the "grapevine".

I keep saying i'll ask my track coach about ankle weights since he has great knowledge in that area.

But I do agree with the others and think ankle weights are just terrible on your joints/etc. so i'd say stay away from 'em. There are plenty of other ways to improve your speed that aren't as risky as ankle weights.

9. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    i was only kidding by the way

10. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    The best way to build speed is to run on the balls of your feet. Never let your heels touch the ground. That builds up your calves. Run backwards on the balls of your feet too. Run hills on the balls of your feet...

That's the idea behind these.
    [​IMG]
    (They actually work pretty well, but you have to start slowly.)

By the way, I'd never gamble with my knees by adding weight to my ankles.

11. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Does this work for a while or do you have to wear these ankle weights all the time? ie. If I wore them for a week and improved my pace, would I lose my speed if I didn't wear them again? :)

12. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Can you please explain why doing this helps

13. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Your calfs must be the main muscle behind increasing your pace. So if this builds them up, it should work quite well. Although I wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of those things. :) :D

14. gsmith0787

gsmith0787 New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    calves are most definitely not where speed and power come from. Assuming running technique is solid, acceleration typically comes from quads while top speed is hamstrings. Calves do play a role, but not as significant as you might think

15. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are nowhere near shiny enough to improve your speed or skill.

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

actually the hamstring is, the calf is 2nd.

edit: but you are correct as to why they work. it forces the calves to work much harder.

17. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Ok, sorry. I was just guessing to why they could work. :)
    Anyway, I'm not fast enough, so I will be using all the tips shown on this thread. I am also working on my upper body strength too. :)

18. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    Hey cazdaspaz and anyone else who are interested in Ankle weights:

BE CAREFUL! I'm having a lot of pain recently, and although i stopped using the weights a week before the pain started they may have been the cause.

19. hectordagreat11

hectordagreat11 New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    ok this is about improving everything in general...not just speed....

my brother played varsity since he was a freshman at his school didnt start until his sophomore year and thats still incredible...its not like we live in a little town...we live in the dfw area in texas...big soccer city...at least club wise...now that hes done with school hes been playin semi pro and is trying out for the new dallas burn team. i play for his old highschool and he was really good so naturally the coach looks to me to play like him and i am so pressured....sry i needed to vent...neways hes told me that u have to lift weights...build legs by lifting weights improves ur game so much...also do sit ups and get a strong upper body as ur strenght in ur shot comes from the abdomen....improve ur speed by running uphill(wat he used to do back in the day) now he uses one of those chutes....i dont know about the ankle weight thing...i heard it helps a lot but idk about knee problems....

20. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    OK, thanks, but I've already given up on them after I remembered that I already have knee problems. Chondromalacia Patella to give it it's proper name, is what causes some pain. It is due to over use but since I have been resting up the pain has gone away. But whilst I was using the ankle, my knees started hurting again.
    I stopped about 5 days ago. :)

21. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck
    For starters i would seriously suggest running up a hill. It works so much, but once u ran up the hill you have to run down. WHen running down hill just let gravity do the work and RELAX YOUR MUSCLES, u dont need good technique on the way down you just need to get your legs used to moving so fast. During track we all it "teaching your legs to run fast" its part of a muscle memory thing and it keeps your fast twitch muscles fast. so basically what im saying is run uphill and DOWNHILL!!!!

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    has anyone had chronic hamstring problems? both mine have been shot. P. threrapy has been marginally helpful..

I ask, b/c a few of you seem like track runners and might have advice.. Most of the pain originates where my hammy ties into the my glute, but the whole back of my leg is tight. I can run, but pay the price 4 hours later once I tighten up...

any advice is helpful.

23. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck

All I can say is pop so pain relievers before you run and stretch stretch stretch!! idk how often u run or work out but try lifting light weights also but mostly just stretch.

24. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not sure about popping pain relievers... sure they dull the pain, but it doesn't get rid of the problem. If you do something serious to yourself then you'd never know it because of those pain relievers.

I agree though, stretch ALOT. You should do this anyways, whether you're having any problems or not. Drink alot of water.. maybe you're cramping a bit? And if so, eat bananas (or any high potassium food). Your PT should know what's wrong with you though so maybe you should ask them for a bit more advice on this issue?

25. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, the PT guy had me go there for 5 months. HE really only gave me stretches, and did some light resistance work. Make a long story short, he said couldnt really help me, and the treatment had run its course. HE claimed I had scar tissue built up, and it would take a long time to get rid of..
    HE suggested accupuncture, which I am doing now...

Overall, I think Hamstrings are tricky muscles, and once you hurt them, it comes back easily.