Best teams of the decade-2010-2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Jan 13, 2020.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Seems clear Stanford is the best team of the last decade. Right ?
    Then Florida state? Who is third?
    Or other thoughts on #1 and #2?
    This would be the first decade where any debate is possible about #1, but seems like with 3 titles and a runner up that Stanford is the best. Or maybe there are better metrics than just college cup performance .

RPVCard repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't do the 2010-2019 decade, but how about this as a Top 15 for 2007-2019 (13 years), based on average Massey regular season ranks (rounded off). It's a pretty good list:

Stanford 3
    North Carolina 4
    Florida State 7
    Virginia 8
    UCLA 9
    Penn State 14
    Florida 15
    Texas A&M 15
    West Virginia 17
    Duke 18
    BYU 21
    Southern California 21
    Notre Dame 22
    South Carolina 23
    Santa Clara 24

3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Pretty cool but had my heart set on teams of the decade

4. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, teams of the decade. Again, average Massey regular season rankings, but this time for 2010-2019. Taking NCAA Tournament results into consideration would change the order some, but not a lot:

Stanford 3
    North Carolina 5
    Virginia 6
    Florida State 7
    UCLA 11
    Penn State 14
    Texas A&M 15
    West Virginia 15
    Duke 16
    Florida 17
    Santa Clara 18
    South Carolina 21
    BYU 22
    Southern California 25
    Notre Dame 26

The biggest changes from using the last 13 years, rather than 10, are that Notre Dame dropped down and Santa Clara moved up. There are couple of other relatively minor changes.

By and large, this comes close to the "right" group for the top 15, but in a few cases not in the right order based on NCAA Tournament results.

HeadSpun repped this.
  5. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    This is why relying on Massey that only considers regular season, is flawed.
    So no Georgetown? You can't be in the hunt for the biggest prize in post season play for wcsoc multiple times, in addition to conference championships, in the past decade and not be in consideration. Post season is what matters the most.

This is the flaw in Massey. It needs to be all inclusive.

Most rank greatest teams in pro sports not in regular season records (unless you are the Dolphins. Yes Coach Shula well done. :) ).

But in reality no one even remembers what happened in regular season when you think about the all time team greats in most other sports. Maybe a game here or there but that is it. The league or conf wins and post season is what is discussed.

6. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    It is mind blowing that Massey does not consider post season in anything. I would think Georgetown should be in this list too.

In any other sport when you rank the greatest it is based only on final finishes and postseason play. Regular season is never considered unless a record is set.

7. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Sorry about the double post. My tablet reset and it came back to me as connection lost and not posted.

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massey does post-NCAA tournament rankings, but I don't, so I use Massey's final regular season rankings. The reason I limit myself to regular season rankings is that my work is intended as a resource for coaches to help them with scheduling and analyzing their prospects for NCAA tournament seeds and at large selections. Seeds and at large selections are based strictly on the regular season and do not take any prior year results -- including NCAA Tournament results -- into consideration. The limitation to the regular season is something I always mention.

I like Georgetown, and they've had 2 very good years in the last decade, both at #6 for Massey. Of the other 8 years, their best rank is #27. Princeton had 1 very good year. Portland had 2, one at #3 and one at #8. And so on.

I guess a question is, How do you define a "best team of the decade"? I look for consistency at the highest level. Some look for 1 or 2 excellent results. There's no right or wrong about it, it's just a matter of what you mean by the term.

Number007 repped this.
  9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Totally with CPT here. With my UVA hat on, they lost 2 games this year. Both to Final 4 teams. UNC in OT in what was essentially a home game for UNC and WSU when impacted by key injuries and absences at home.

To me, that is a fantastic season and should count as one. I dont think the post season should count for any more, but thats me.

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    How about points per round reached in ncaa ? 6-5-4-3-2-1

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be good. Then, we'd have best in regular season and best in NCAA Tournament. With those, the question would be how to weight the two of them to come up with an overall rank.

12. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Seems like a lot of work to do this by hand. Even if I could find all the completed draw sheets.

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I get a break from other stuff, I'm thinking I'll try it, just for fun -- and to see how the list differs from the list based on Massey rankings. I've got all the draw sheets. It will be a while!

14. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I am guessing that if what we are really interested in is the correct top 5 that limited scoring teams by hand to the top 10 in your other rankings would be expected to the same top 5 as if you scored more teams. Where can you access completed draw sheet?

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use this Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Women's_Soccer_Championship

Down on the page, there's a table by year. For each year, there's a Details link. Click on it and it will take you to a page for that year. On that page, there should be a bracket.

16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I started this
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13zQYl6st5OpFRWnyHZPIXtPwugReEbXqiWyA2eBMBXc/edit?usp=sharing

I think I have all the teams that Cpthomas has in his 2010-2019 Massey.
    Then making a college cup earrns a team a line in the spreadsheet.
    I am using a 6-5-4-3-2-1 for how far a team goes.
    So far, I have just done the college cup results.
    Anyone want to start filling in other rounds?
    It would also be nice if it were possible to vary the number of points per round without redoing it.
    35 Stanford
    29 FSU
    20 UNC
    15 UCLA
    6 Southern Cal
    11 Penn state
    14 Duke
    9 UVa
    0 Santa Clara
    0 Penn State
    4 TAMU
    5 WVU
    0 Florida
    6 Notred Dame
    4 South Carolina
    0 BYU
    4 Washington State
    8 Georgetown
    4 Rutgers
    4 Va Tech
    4 Wake Forest
    4 Boston College
    4 Ohio State

17. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    It seems like no matter how you slice it, the top three are Stanford, FSU, and UNC.
    I think what Stanford did last decade with all of the great teams there are now is extremely impressive. FSU, too, but Stanford is a notch above for decade long performance, basically making the College Cup almost every year.

How about best single team of the decade ? (Team and year)
    Stanford 2019 is in the conversation. I don’t think a strong case can be made for any UNC team. I think UNC’s best team May have actually been 2013 , but injuries got the best of them at the end.

18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 cpthomas, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    I'm taking a break from the tedious grind of updating all of my stats and stuff, so this is a fun diversion. I've set up a system in Excel to do NCAA tournaments for the decade -- I'm far more fluent in Excel than in Google Spreadsheets. At this point, I've revised the scoring system a little because I want to give teams credit for getting into the tournament, even though it has the side effect of giving points to the automatic quaifiers from low end conferences. I figure they'll drop down on the list and can be disregarded once the standings are complete. So, I'm using this scoring system:

Appearing in round 1 - 1 point
    Appearing in round 2 - 2 points
    Appearing in round 3 - 3 points
    Appearing in quarterfinals - 4 points
    Appearing in semifinals - 5 points
    Appearing in championship - 6 points
    Champion 7 points

These are cumulative, i.e., a team that loses in round 2 gets 3 points, 1 for playing in round 1 plus 2 for playing in round 2. The champion gets a total of 28 points.

I have one refinement to the above, which is that if a game goes to PKs, the team that does not advance gets credit, nevertheless, for getting to the next round. This is on the basis that, since the objective is to rank teams, the teams essentially were equal notwithstanding that one advanced and the other didn't. This is debatable, but that's what I've decided to do for now.

I've set up the program so I can change the scoring system relatively easily. (But, I don't like changing scoring systems after the fact because someone doesn't like the results.)

In going through the brackets, I can see a couple of things that can distort whatever the results will be. One is that the tournament, to some extent, is overtly "fixed." This is due to home field advantage and seeding -- the teams playing at home have an advantage and the better the seed, the easier the road forward. The second is that the geograpic pairing of teams can make some teams appear weaker than they really are in a system based on how far a team advances. An easy example of this is Santa Clara in the three years I've done so far: they played and lost relatively early to #1 seed Stanford in each of 2010, 2011, and 2012. Who knows how far they could have gone in those years with different draws?

But, it's fun, and when I'm done, who knows what the "standings" will be?:thumbsup::geek:

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I had, above, based on average Massey regular season rankings for the decade:

1. Stanford 3
    2. North Carolina 5
    3. Virginia 6
    4. Florida State 7
    5. UCLA 11
    6. Penn State 14
    7. Texas A&M 15
    8. West Virginia 15
    9. Duke 16
    10. Florida 17
    11. Santa Clara 18
    12. South Carolina 21
    13. BYU 22
    14. Southern California 25
    15. Notre Dame 26

Here is what I get for the top 51 based on NCAA tournament performance, using the scoring system in the preceding post. In parentheses are the rankings based on Massey regular season:

1. Stanford 174 (1)
    2. FloridaState 151 (4)
    3. NorthCarolinaU 133 (2)
    4. UCLA 121 (5)
    5. Duke 108 (9)
    6. VirginiaU 100 (3)
    6. PennState 100 (6)
    8. NotreDame 66 (15)
    8. SouthernCalifornia 66 (14)
    10. TexasA&M 64 (7)
    11. WestVirginiaU 63 (8)
    12. SouthCarolinaU 58 (12)
    13. FloridaU 56 (10)
    13. Georgetown 56 (not in top 15 regular season list)
    15. SantaClara 50 (11)
    16. VirginiaTech 39 (not in top 15 regular season list)
    17. BYU 37 (13)
    18. BostonCollege 36
    18. OhioState 36
    18. WakeForest 36
    21. Rutgers 35
    21. WashingtonState 35
    23. Baylor 33
    24. Auburn 30
    24. MichiganU 30
    26. OklahomaState 29
    27. TexasTech 28
    27. WisconsinU 28