Best Story of the WEEK 2021

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    In fairness on the last point, the sub rules in our local tournaments and leagues vary wildly, just as NCAA rules are nowhere close to the LOTG.

Did he have to re-line the field?

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first center of the Fall season was interesting today. I was told to report to the referee station where I would get the rules for the day. Nobody was at the designated location, so I asked one of the coaches who pointed to where the coordinator was. I wandered over that way and asked another coach who pointed me to a third coach who had to go get her backpack. OK, now I had rules, game card and pay envelops for my center and the following AR. I went back to my field to the 2 U19 girls teams in blue uniforms. I checked the rules, and home team changes in case of color conflict. Home blue team changed to yellow. Visitor keepers had yellow uniforms. I had them change to white. OK, we chose to change to red! I did the coin flip, and we got some game balls placed. OH FECES! I still had my sandals on. At 5 minutes after game time I was running to my car to get my shoes! Finally I got into position for the KickOff, and the Home team keeper had finally got ready and was leaving the sideline for her goal. I thanked her for not making me the last one ready! Two minutes into the games, she collected a ball and punted it downfield. I cleverly decided to sneak to the other side of the field and the ball hit me in the back. "Sorry, Indirect kick for the defense."
    After that we had two pretty quiet, well-played games.

MrPerfectNot, Law5, RefIADad and 3 others repped this.
  3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Indirect kick or drop ball?

swoot repped this.
  4. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    The most unlikely thing happened today.

A set of 3 games.

All 3 games had a double-touch from kick-off.

IASocFan, SccrDon, Law5 and 2 others repped this.
  5. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Yesterday I refereed my first games in a year and a half (sabbatical caused by CoVid/grad school/puppy) and I was thrilled how easily refereeing came back. Really felt like I knew how to position, how to look at my ARs, check for subs, and all that. Fitness was okay, knew it would be a challenge and will continue to work on it. My two CRs went really well, both high level girls games that were pretty physical but I like how I called them and my ARs gave me positive feedback.

The only bad thing was that I forgot the ball hits referee and gave a dropped ball instead of a IFK.

Question - one of the games had a lot of potential hand balls, but almost all of them came off another body part first, which I'm understanding is generally not a handball anymore. Yet everyone wanted them called. Are coaches/players slow to adjust to the new rule?

dadman repped this.
  6. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    If you did this, then you did the right thing. Unless you meant that you gave an IFK instead of a dropped ball.

Obviously, you had to be there to see the handball etc. but in general I don't think anybody knows the handball rule(s) ;)

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop ball is correct not an idfk.

As for handball well that's always tricky. Ask yourself was the arm unnaturally away from the body for what the player was trying to do in that moment or was their arm above their shoulder? If the answer is no to both of those questions then it was not a handball. If people want it just say natural position and move on.

Of course practical refereeing is just call them in the defensive third or middle third if there's any sign the arm was away from the body. That's what people expect.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well, the language about that usually not being a handball was removed after it's brief appearance in Law 12. Nothing now addresses that.

We are essentially back to where we were before they started messing around. Ignoring for the moment the goal scoring exception, a handball offense occurs only if:
    • The player deliberately handles the ball (the old model); or
    • The player has arms in an unnatural position making himself bigger ("biggering" is my shorthand term) (which was taught as being a flavor of "deliberate" in the old model).
    So on a ball that bounces off the body first, the analysis is really the same as it was before they started mucking around with the handling language:
    • Did the player do something deliberate to make contact with the ball (ball-to-hand)? or
    • Did the player have the arm in an unnatural position that was taking up space?
    If this answer to either is "yes," then you have a handball offense.

(I'd also add that this was also true while they were mucking around, as the language about rebounding from the body not being an offense didn't apply if the R found the handling deliberate or a result of biggering.)

dadman repped this.
  9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The college rules are the same as the high school rules, at least when it comes to substitutions on goal kicks. I doubt that he is also coaching a youth team in the same season as a college team.

There was no way to erase the painted lines he had put down. We were also 20 minutes before scheduled kickoff and the visiting team was going to have a couple hour drive to get home after the game. We played with the lines we had and, fortunately, none of the errors affected the game.

dadman repped this.
  10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Friday afternoon, I'm at my old high school for a varsity football game. 3:30 p.m. kickoff, due to, surprise, a shortage of officials, so this crew was going to go do another game after ours. For many years, I have been the 'plaza supervisor' at our home games, essentially getting the referees into their locker room, keeping the team dressing room doors locked during the game, and keeping people from coming in through the back gate. With the early kickoff, there were also two JV2 boys soccer games going on, the cross country runners were coming and going with their coaches and the three JV2 girls teams were heading out for away games. I had to unlock the back gate to let three or four of the girls retrieve their team balls and pinnies from a storage shed outside the fence. As they came back in with their stuff, thanking me for opening the gate for them, I noticed that at least two of them were wearing necklaces and/or bracelets. I couldn't help myself. "Remember to take off the jewelry before your game starts!" "We will!!!!!!!!"

dadman and gaolin repped this.
  11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Not the best, definitely. Just the opposite. We had a referee, who is the only referee with whom I will not work, send off the trainer on a high school girls varsity game. Second caution. :( Both for dissent, as the trainer expressed their opinion about how the game should be called tighter, as the trainer was working on an injured player. And both cautions for the same incident. Just so totally unnecessary. Don't stand over the injured player. Call on the trainer/coach and then go see AR2. There's nothing you should be doing to the injured player anyway.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Absolutely! I'm amazed at how many refs stand there (and even push back at advise not to do so).

I think it is especially important at games without real trainers where it is the coach coming on to check on the player.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did that this weekend. AR2 starts to explain what he saw. "He got stepped on. It just looks good if I'm talking to you."

jayhonk, Gary V and Law5 repped this.
  14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop ball to the keeper's team. The other team controlled tha pass off back and was heading toward the goal!

frankieboylampard repped this.
  15. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I always go over and stand maybe 5 feet away for about 10-15 seconds saying/doing nothing to give the player some time. Then I'll ask how they are and go from there calling on coach/letting them walk it off.

I used to not go over there at all and I had players in a few instances accuse me of not caring at all about their player. So now I go over and at least feign concern but give distance anyway.

dadman, jayhonk and voiceoflg repped this.
  16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    dadman repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works for me.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    On a GK? A foul?

Wish we had a good angle—may be a solid case for a send off there.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, foul called on the GK. PK to white. camera was at midfield. I was at a square angle for the play as would be expected for a HS 2 man system.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Ahh, sarcasm doesn't always work online. Sorry. I was trying to joke about it never being a foul on a keeper coming out because, well, just because!!

From this angle and on only one viewing, I agree with foul and at least a caution, but I'm suspicious of SFP on the keeper, and would like to see what it looks like from the view between better able to discern the arm action.

dadman and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I was able to quickly talk myself down from a potential red. As far a keepers going for a ball, I felt it was an honest attempt at playing the ball and an unfortunate soccer play. There was no excessive knee-raising or other movements that further endanger.

So, you are my partner and you have an angle similar to the TV camera, what are you seeing for SFP? I'm not being defensive I'm curious as to what you were seeing. We had a long stoppage after this so I consulted with my partner to see if he saw anything extra (or less).

dadman repped this.
  22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I couldn't tell from the angle if the contact with the arms was from the effort to play the ball or became an aggressive act against the forward. I did not on my one viewing see enough to convince me it should be red, but to wonder if red would be the right call if seen from a better angle.

dadman and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  23. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Who did the referee expect to handle any other injuries?

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks. Definitely an attempt to play the ball.

dadman repped this.
  25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Before I got COVID in March 2020, I was hesitant to do games in older age groups. Since COVID, I've never regained what passed for fitness, and my Achilles tendons have continued to flare up.

But the assignor for our club's rec league is insisting that the older folks need to be reffing the big kids. They have plenty of teens who can handle U-9s and no enough grown-ups to handle U-19s.

So with much trepidation, I did two U-19 boys games today in conditions that seemed more like July than September.

And ... it went OK.

These teams all play direct, so I realized early on that there was no point in trying to follow the action all the way down the field. It just gets blasted back the other way, and THEN I'd be out of position. I didn't just hang out in the Circle of Excellence, but I didn't break into many sprints.

Here's the interesting part -- I found myself arguing with my AR. (Not a surprise -- I argued with him when I was a coach and he was the center). He put up his flag, and I blew the whistle. He then pointed the way I didn't expect, so I called over and asked what he was calling. He slapped his forearm -- handball.

What happened: A player fell and instinctively put out his arm to break the fall. The ball hit his arm.

I told the AR I wasn't calling that, and I awarded a drop ball for an inadvertent whistle.

We discussed it a bit at halftime, and he kept insisting that "FIFA" had changed the Laws so that was handball. I pointed out that the 2020-21 Laws had quite specifically said, among other specific examples I wish they had left in for 2021-22, that there's no infraction when the ball hits a player's supporting arm. I also pointed out that a player trying to avoid a face-plant isn't deliberately playing the ball. He then changed his story and said the player was deliberately pushing it forward, which I highly doubt.

MNpenguin, Dayton Ref, dadman and 2 others repped this.