Best Story of the WEEK 2021

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    They could pay attention to the experienced CR and learn positioning, etc.

DefRef repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    They could, but the simple reality is that with the BOL, the ARs have a lot less to do and a lot less moving. Being an AR on a 10U game was a little bit boring before the BOL, and the BOL makes it even more dull.

Don't get me wrong--I believe the BOL was exactly the right rule for player development and enjoyment in 10U, and that's who the rules should serve. But it doesn't help referee development.

Gary V and frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The games were regular Men's league games so there isn't any tape. I did get some pointers from one of my ARs who will probably be a national in the next two years. The issue seems to be that I'm not seeing the game very well and my mental processing of the second phase of decision making eg. high elbow is a foul but only careless not reckless or excessive force but I've missed that it is SPA.

The games that I do have tape of (MLS Next) haven't had anything challenging but they have made me realize how bad my posture really is on the field. I've decided to take a few more youth games (I've done fewer than 15 in the last year) where all I am going to do is make sure my shoulders are down and back.

But the guys I'm comparing myself to are triggering my programmer's Imposter Syndrome.
    On a side note, the State Cup Championships will be in your neck of the woods, isn't it? Have you groomed the next STX superstars to come out? ;)

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Just wanted to highlight this--many of us do games that are "easy" for us. They are great places to work on little things that we don't want to be distracted by on our "bigger" games. Always with the caveat that thinking too much that a game is going to be easy is a dangerous way to invite one that isn't . . . .

Back to the substantive issue of processing--I don't do games at the level @Dayton Ref is talking about, but I think there is always a challenge as we move up and the games get faster and more complex. It naturally means we don't have the same breadth of grasp of the game that we did with the level below. We have to expand to get there, which takes experience at that level. Rooting for you Dayton!

MJ91, IASocFan, seattlebeach and 4 others repped this.
  5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    My experience is the opposite. Give them something more to do than a walk from end line to build out line. I would have agreed with you prior to the build out, but now those matches are dreadful for an AR.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  6. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Reffed my first game since October and my first high school game since Fall 2019 (this game was private school). Visiting team wins 5-4. I wasn't quite as rusty as I thought I would be.

Law5 and dadman repped this.
  7. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep. Memorial Day weekend. Fortunately the big wigs will assign it. I’m supplying some local bodies. Hopefully they know which end of the whistle to blow into.

8. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    dayton, I totally get the imposter.thing years ago.. I had a playoff game.college..had a frickin panic attack before the game..at the time,i just felt out of sorts..afterwards realized what it was :(
    spent the whole game waiting for the clock to wind down. :(
    and the high elbow thing etc..I get it.
    now you know about it..you can prepare yourself for future situations

do you want to be MLS eventually. what if you only make it to USL..what then?
    soccer needs refs like you. you will get there.
    is the posture thing..new? have you had tips on how to fix it?

. what I am trying to say is been there done that...and as math guy ref said..you probably have SRA and SRC in your corner

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kit, dadman, MJ91 and 2 others repped this.
  10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I survived my Pfizer shot this morning. My arm is OK, and no side effects yet. They scheduled 2nd dose for 3 weeks - the day I accepted a boys Varsity/JV double header. Hopefully, my luck holds up.

I also bought an electronic whistle yesterday. No idea if I will realy use it.

11. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Are you scheduled to get the second shot before or after the games? The folks I know that have had both shots have all said the first one is no big deal but about half of them say the second kicked their butt.You might want to see if you can move the second shot to the next day

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    This is what I've heard as well. The explanation I've heard is that the first shot starts training your body on the antibodies, so when you get the second shot, your body is all geared up to fight them yucky intruders. The side effects are at least largely your body's immune system ramping up aggressively.

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My schedule shot is at 9:00 am Games are 5:30 and 7:00 pm. It's not easy to reschedule either.

voiceoflg repped this.
  14. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    IASocFan repped this.
  15. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    I got my first dose of Moderna a few weeks ago. No side effects other than a slight bit of arm soreness. I'm getting my second dose tomorrow around lunchtime. Then I have two games tomorrow night (U13-U14), plus who knows how many on Saturday and Sunday (big tournament). Hopefully the side effects won't knock me off my feet.

dadman repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I've gotten both shots and only was a bit sleepy after the 2nd. Take a nap so you don't nod off during your matches. :cautious: :)

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  17. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I had Moderna about 2 weeks ago and had a sore right arm for 3 days. During that time I did a line on a 1 v 2 seed HSGV game. I know both coaches well and joked with them before the game that it was so sore I couldn’t raise my arm. So there would be no offside flags and no directions up towards the right end of the field. They laughed and suggested I could turn around and use my left arm back to the field if needed.

dadman repped this.
  18. FlaGrandpaRef

FlaGrandpaRef Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2020
    From my experience if the games are the same day as your second shot then you are probably good, the following day will be the day you most likely feel it. I had a hard time attending my granddaughter’s game the day after my second shot, there is no way I could have reffed a game that day.

jayhonk repped this.
  19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I had Pfizer both shots. No side effects.

roby repped this.
  20. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I had my 2nd shot, I made sure that I did not have games the next day just to be sure. The day of the shot I was fine except for a sore arm. The next day, I was a Zombie; I was tired all day and couldn't concentrate on anything.

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Same here with Moderna - day of shot fine, next day a wreck, felt like I was coming off the flu, day after that felt fine, next day a little crappy again, then fine. But it's a crap shoot, reactions are all over the place with both types. Husband and wife friends of mine got same shots as me same days, he never felt a thing on either, she was in bed for a day with 102 degree fever after the second shot.

It's a very strange illness that seems to have some kind of random number generator built in for the way it affects different people, and the reactions to the vaccines appear to be equally varied.

22. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When my elderly parents got their shots, they too had completely different reactions. My mom, who has had a lot of health problems, only had a shore arm. My dad, who is extremely health, had a low grade fever and small headache. I figured that this was because my mom's body is used to medical treatments while my dad's is not.

23. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Stole this.....:)

[​IMG]

malackym, Law5, DefRef and 7 others repped this.
  24. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a good day with 2 games:
    2pm D-1 women’s middle