Best sides never to win the CL or old European Cup

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by justboy, Jun 29, 2005.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and the final? red star played a physical, even violent match which had very little relation to any kind of football i enjoy watching. marseilles was far superior in the moments they weren't picking themeselves up off the turf, and for the cup to go, in a PK shootout, to the side that refused to play football... frustrating.

the same OM had the luck the next year to play a real football team in the final, and they won.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Red Star's performance in the final against Marseille was very different to their other performances in that campaign and essentially, if anyone looks at Red Star's performance in the 1991 final as their regular style of play at the time, he has been misleaded.

It must be said, if Red Star played attacking football like they regularly did, there was a top chance that they were going to lose. It was similar to Liverpool's campaign this year. Liverpool were defensive in the second leg against Juve and in both legs against Chelsea. If Liverpool didn't do that, Liverpool probably wouldn't have made the final. Likewise can be said for Red Star in regards to their style of play in the 1991 final.

3. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Plus don't forget who Marseille brought over from Red Star before the final as well as the scandal that followed afterward with the money. That's why I will always hate L'OM. PSG tous temps!

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Porto went into the final missing key players as well, so we shouldn't sell them short.
    I wrote about it quite a while back on an old thread.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88791