Best possible move for MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BVgolski07, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if the MLS were able to bring atleast 5 guys from overseas back into the MLS it would great. Let Dempsey, Beasley, Convey, Boca, etc...stay because they actually will have a big impact on the 2010 WC. In order for MLS to really reach the next level we need to start keeping more domestic talent. Say LA could sign Simek or a player along those lines it would be awesome. Does anyone think that is a possibility of this actually happening? Perhaps in a few years?

2. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Not likely.

3. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, well I was not aware of his specific contract state but I didn't mean to focus this thread on him. This is open to any of the US talent overseas: Gibbs, Feilhaber, Bradley, Simek, Cherundulo, Spector, Davies, Hill etc....

4. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you honestly think you're the first person to say these things?

Seriously, read through the damn forums before you post crap you think is an "original thought" as it's likely already been stated 947 times before.

5. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was my original idea, i was simply asking if anyone thinks this could start to happen next year or within the next few. DC fans really are all a-holes.

6. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Lay off a bit. No one has time to read the whole internet before making a post.

7. Thebizkit

Thebizkit New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Feilhaber would look great in a Chicago Fire jersey.

8. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why your friendly BigSoccer administrators created the search function.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    FYP

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, read through the damn forums before you post crap you think is an "original thought" as it's likely already been stated 947 times before.:D

11. SacUnitedSoccerBlog

SacUnitedSoccerBlog New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Easy Everybody, I think the kid has a point (even if it has been made a few times) but he's asking, not stating. So let him be. I say welcome to all you MLS Fans.

[edit]

12. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Like it or not, coming back to MLS from Europe is seen as a failure in an American player's career. The one exception might have been Cory Gibbs, who was able to use his MLS and National team stints to get back to Europe, but the injury bug has kept that positive development from materializing.

13. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    It's not really a feasible move for the good american players under contract. MLS can't afford the transfer fee. Also if an american player want's to play out his contract and leave, alot of clubs don't like that and will tend to bench a guy who doesn't see himself as a long term part of the team. For instance, David Beckham was buried on the Real Madrid bench after he signed with MLS, despite being in great form that he showed once he got another chance.

14. Ollie & Friends

Ollie & Friends New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Best possible move? Drop the Galaxy.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Nobody cares about Frank Simek.

16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The idea shouldn't be to "keep" domestic talent; the idea should be to IMPROVE domestic talent. For example; why would Kansas City have to worry about what happens if Eddie Johnson went to the Premiership, when they're developing five Eddie Johnson-caliber players (I'm talking in MLS, not USMNT) on the bench, and would be ready to go if he left?

Training-wise, things are getting a lot better in MLS. But they need to start from the bottom-up in terms of raising the salaries of the developmental players/lower dollar contracts in MLS. Give new talent a monetary reason to star in MLS instead of the smaller clubs in Europe, or even USL.

17. JoeDub83

JoeDub83 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    MISSOULA,MT 420
    Look at all the best leagues in the world....La Liga(Spain), EPL(England), Bundesliga(Germany), Serie A(Italy).....all of their best domestic players in each country play in different countries....saying all our domestic players need to stay in the U.S is not a good idea... I agree we need to IMPROVE overall domestic talent .....MLS can still be a good league without our best domestic players staying here

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Que? Germany, Italy, Spain and England all draw the overwhelming majority of their national team players from their national leagues.

19. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy and Germany; okay, I'll give you that. When's the last time England or Spain won a World Cup though?

20. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Errrr....I do. I don't care if he plays in MLS or not, but I'm generally interested in him as a player.

21. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England's National team isn't composed of EPL players?

Owen, Rooney, Crouch, Terry, Lampard, Jenas, Smith, Hargreaves, both Coles, Robinson, umm which of their big players play elsewhere?

22. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
  23. littlerockant

littlerockant Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking this same thing about Oguchi the other day. I mean he plays in Belgium...I haven't followed that league but is it that much better than MLS. Dalby just went there too. Also all the guys that go to the Scandanavian leagues. We should concentrate on getting the guys that go to the lower Euro leagues

24. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Fact is those lower euro leagues pay a lot better than MLS, and none of those guys is worth a DP slot.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's realistic for teams on MLS-sized budgets to have 5 EJs waiting in the wings. He's a damn good player. I doubt if any CCC-BL.2.-Serie B-Segunda Liga teams have 5 young guys that good.

Hell, Derby County is IN the Prem, and they don't have even 1 EJ caliber player on the bench. If they did, they wouldn't have been trying to buy the real EJ.