Best game in MLS history???

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Quakes11, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    Did anybody else think that yesterdays Quakes/Galaxy was the best game in MLS history?

2. SFIU_94_Coach

SFIU_94_Coach New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I know it was better for you than any Galaxy fan. But that aside I would really have to put it up in the top 2 atleast.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean best played by both sides... probably not. Can't think of a better one off hand, but the play last night was rather sloppy, chippy etc.

But if by "best" you mean one of the most dramatic, heart-stopping games in the history of MLS (with the added qualifier that the MLS Cup was not immediately on the line) then I would say, absolutely yes.

5. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    You know, I wasn't too nuts about the two-leg playoff when they announced the format. But that was a fantastic result and, by itself, vindicates MLS for going with that format. The best part is that the league elected not to count away goals extra. That's the best of both worlds. An international flavor mixed with the American. Best game ever? I don't know, but I would definitely say it was the best of 2003.

6. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you add back the qualifier that you excluded, then I'd have to put MLS Cup '96 at the top of the list. DC was down 2-0 and came back to win on a golden goal by the Pope. That would be my choice. (Yes, I am a DCU fan.)

7. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    The game was kinda like Real/ManU in Champions League last season, except ManU was able to overcome the goal deficit this time.

8. Zero

Zero New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    San Jose
    Bruce Arena is quoted to say so.

(SJ Mercury News)

Is there one kind hearted soul here who can use a
    fast $20. for a copy of the game? It was blacked out here
    in the west coast. or I can trade World cup ('99)
    games with Mexico or Portugal.

Please?
    thank you
    kind regards, Z.

9. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Amen my brother! I can still see Pope scoring that goal. Too bad he had to move to the Metroscum :(

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the frigid 2-2 tie between DC United and Chicago in a downpour (in 2000?,or 2001?). Stoichkov had a bomb from 35 or 40 yards out. United scored twice in the last couple of minutes to steal a tie.

11. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    This is what Landon Donovan said, from SJearthquakes.com

“Tonight’s crowd was more dynamic and louder than any of the World Cup games I’ve played in. I’m being dead honest. I’ve never been a part of a game that exciting. I would have loved to have had a ticket to watch that game. It was unbelievable. They were unbelievably loud. I’ve never heard anything like that.”

12. GalaxyFoLife

GalaxyFoLife Member

Jul 16, 2002
    I don't think it was the greatest game in MLS history. But it was the best comeback win in MLS history. congrats to San Jose. This game brought back chilling memeories of MLS Cup 96 when we had a 2-0 lead over the United.

13. Ridge

Ridge New Member

replay

On Fox Sports World 3:30 PT 6:30 ET Friday:
    Replay of Quakes-Galaxy classico.
    Nice lead-in to Fire-Revs semifinal (5:30/8:30).

14. Ridge

Ridge New Member

replay

On Fox Sports World 3:30 PT 6:30 ET Friday:
    Replay of Quakes-Galaxy classico.
    Nice lead-in to Fire-Revs semifinal (5:30/8:30).

15. Zero

Zero New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    San Jose
    What is your source Ridge?

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp While that's certainly good news, bare in mind that it might be a slightly condensed version, since the original Earthquakes-Galaxy classico broadcast (with overtime) lasted 2 hours 15 minutes, while the FSW broadcast will only be 2 hours (since, as you've stated, the Fire-Revolution game starts at 8:30pm ET). :(

-G

17. MarlinS

MarlinS New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    San Antonio
    I remember that FSW cut out the overtime of the Celtic Porto game (I think) during the replay showing only the highlight of the goal that won it for Porto.
    For LA v Sj they could cut out the halftime or cut it short and it would fit because the goal came in the 96th min.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It would be cool for FSW to cut out the halftime so that they could show the entire game, but it's doubtful they'd do that since they need to insert their own halftime commercials to help pay the bills. :(

-G

19. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On foxsportsworld website. Duh! :rolleyes:

20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I can't imagine that they'd go to all of the trouble to air this game and then cut out the end. It's possible, but it's not like it's abc or anything. Big Kudos to MLS and FSW for this. I can't wait to see it.

21. timbergreg

timbergreg New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    I had to watch the game on tape due to some other commitments and the golden goal wrapped up my day at 5 am. It was far and away the best MLS game I've ever seen. So many bodies from both teams picking themselves up and going at it again and again and again. What an amazing comeback for the Quakes!

22. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The playing time of the actual game itself couldnt have lasted more than 106 minutes (figure 45 minutes each half, 5 minutes stoppage, 6 minutes OT which Im pretty sure is more than needed) by my reckoning, leaving fsw 14 minutes for pregame, halftime, postgame and commercial fun. That is assuming of course they cut the game down to its bare minimum.

So, you have 2 minutes of pregame, 2 min. of comercial, 1st half, 2 min. comercial, 2 min. halftime, 2 min. comercial, second half, 2 min. comercial, Overtime, 2 minutes postgame, cut to comercial and pick up the next game. Entire broadcast in 120 minutes, with some comercial breaks. Very doable in that scenario.

23. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Perhaps 2nd greatest behind the 1996 MLS Cup final between DC United/LA Galaxy.

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for info, i checked the digital cable line here and it shows the game is going to be replayed at 6 eastern and not 6:30. there is some 30 minute show on from 8 to 8:30. I'm hoping that doesn't mess up anyones taping ability. As for me, i'm being safe and just taping from 6 to 8:30.

25. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched it today - they didn't cut anything. I didn't time halftime to see if maybe they cut a few minutes there, but I would assume that must be it. There were commercial breaks at halftime and after regulation time, and they showed all the action.

Damn, that was a good game!

I was there on Sunday, in the supporters section (season ticket). But there's no replay live, so I missed some stuff. On TV, you could see replays and catch the commentary, but there isn't the emotion of being there in person. If only Spartan had one of those big monitors so we could see replays, that would be perfect.

Can't wait until tomorrow night!