Best frontman of a rock n' roll band?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by benito camelpene, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
  2. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
  3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Iggy and Diamond Dave are two of my favorites.

As far as present day goes, I haven't seen a better showman than John Ries from Rocket from the Crypt.

4. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Diamond dave ? Have a word. How lame do you guys wanna be ?

5. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Ever seen him live, with Van Halen, in-person with your own eyes?

I didn't think so. He is the epitome of a great rock front man.

My picks were based only on people I've actually seen in-person. To pick someone only from a video or reputation is not a terribly educated choice.

6. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Yeah but best ever ? He is such a friggin cliche, yet lacks the menace of a Jagger or presence of a Mercury or Daltry. He is just a big, goofy yank that doesnt particulary install any depth of emotion in you accept "arent you a bit of a tit". He only become a rock star because he wanted to be famous. He's in it for the chicks. Jagger and the rest had *#*#*#*# to say. And at least bands like The darkness put a post-modern ironic slant on it now. Van Halen were the American version of Led Zeppelin, and like most things yank, they completly missed the point.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    What does this have to do with nationality?

Besides, Diamond Dave was in it to entertain us - and that's what being a frontman is all about.

8. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    It has nothing to do with nationality. I was just getting into why Van Halen are so limp. There have been some blinding yank front men, like Morrison, Frank Black and Rico Suave.

Sure, some of us go to be entertained. Some of us go to be overwhelmed too ...

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this guys entire arguement can summed up as this:

diamond dave is american, therefore he is crap.
    anybody else that is british must be better.

here's my summary of your post: tool. ignorant tool. pull your head out and stop with the american smack.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?!?

let's see what you said:
    "He is just a big, goofy yank"
    "Van Halen were the American version of Led Zeppelin, and like most things yank, they completly missed the point."

if you're saying it's not about nationality with you, you're either stupid or think we are.

i'm going with you.

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Diamond Dave was definitely making some idiotic (and seriously fun) music, which is why I rank him fairly high. I like the Who, etc., fine, but those guys all had an annoying tendency to think that they were making high art just because they threw in stuff about blind kids, gnomes, and orchestras. Van Halen were gleefully stupid, and that counts for something. Dave just oozed charisma back in the day, too.

But Rocket from the Crypt--anyone who has seen them live can testify for Reis's brilliance. Plus, they're punk rock, so you don't have to feel guilty about liking 'em. :)

12. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Ok, not technically rock n' roll, but:

Karl Hyde (Underworld)
    Chuck D. (Public Enemy)

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Bono, Jagger, Rollins.

Of the frontmen I've seen live, I'd have to say Pelle Almqvist. When he informs you that "You love the Hives!", you believe it even though it's your first time ever hearing their music.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-yeah... unlike every other rock musician in history :rolleyes:

2-holy christmas on a cracker!! NEWSFLASH: THEY SUCK! - and no... of course DLR was being totally serious the whole time, never the least bit cheeky

3-WTF?!? these two bands have what in common? 4 members? that's like saying the kinks were the british four tops dude

15. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Not to nitpick or be a nattering nabob, but Chuck D. was actually kind of lame in concert.

One of the greatest voices and lyricists in the history of rap, no doubt. But he never had the greatest stage presence.

Hence Flav.

16. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    The Darkness and Van Halen have nothing in common ? WTF! obviously that proves youve seen or heard absolutley sweet FA of the Darkness. Shows your integrity if you think the sole reason people become rock stars is too get laid. I would hate to have a gander through your record collection ....

:rolleyes:

Oh here we go. I've already stated there were many fine American front men. The fact is DLR wasn't really one of them. If being able to do the splits on stage is all it takes for you then good luck to you.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

noooooooo... you said van halen were the american version of led zep and that is the comparison i was ridiculing

and i never said chicks were the sole reason, but let's get real... when forming a band in the garage... it's a big motivator

oh and my record collection is both varied and spectacular thank you

18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys

[​IMG]

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

good call

20. Masfaygo

Masfaygo Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Kansas City
    DLR SUCKS

i have to agree with people who are against Roth. the best frontman is Hagar.
    i was on the fence till i saw the tour with both last year. david actually forgot the words. was reading the lips of the fans down in the front rows.
    i also agree with the other people choices in the "classic" frontmen. Definently Freddie.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'm ashamed that everyone of us has forgotten the most powerful frontman in rock today... NAY! OF ALL TIME!!

WONDER BOY HIMSELF!

[​IMG]

22. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat & Henry Rollins

[​IMG]

23. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Ziggy or Steve?

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DLR SUCKS

maybe now, but back in the day it was no contest .... dave hasn't aged well. :(