Best for United in the long run...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Alejandro 10, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    To run a poll or not to run a poll.
    That is not up for conversation.

Please be aware that I give these two options under the presupposition that next year's version of United will, should, and better look drastically different.

Which, in your humble opinion is best for United in the long run?

1. Not making the playoffs and starting with the remodeling sooner rather than later. (I realize that later has been the favored approach by brain trust in the past, but I can still hope.)

2. Making the playoffs and prolonging the anxiety. While I am not opposed to eating crow I also feel uncomfortable saying we aren't lifting the trophy this year. (I want to eat that crow in reality but worry that if we take the MLS Cup some needed changes will not happen.)

Ideally, I would like us to sneak the Cup out of all their dirty little paws, so the future (read Pontius, Wallace, Jakovic... https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161540&page=29 post 283 for my complete thoughts on that) and build on success.

Ultimately, I acknowledge there are holes in either one but the answers are never perfect in reality (that flushes my "Ideally...") and mistakes will always be made.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What real difference does 2 to 3 weeks make?

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    If you expect not to do well in the playoffs, it's one more failure to cap off a season that's been pretty depressing...

4. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    I concur with what Matt said. I'll continue by adding that failure breeds failure if mistakes aren't quickly learned from. The more failure to compound matters the more difficult it would seem to sort things out in one sense. In the other sense it would tell us we need serious change, but is that not just beating a dead horse?

5. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    To show how low we (DC United) have fallen, a playoff appearance is still an improvement over last year. It's another game. A day with a DC United game is better than a day without. Of course it can feel like total shit after a loss but that comes with the territory. In other words its good to have something worth being depressed about.

6. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Don't get me wrong. I would love for us to get another game. I'd see it as a sign of progress, however small.

Wouldn't it be two more games?

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC needs to reshape and lose the old legs on the squad and get Younger players with the similar styles of Gomez, Moreno, and a more effective Emilio.....

8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Thanks for the reminder. I feel better about the prospect of 2 more games rather than 1. My next thought was would a road playoff game be at a place that would be feasible to go to.

I know I'm not right. :) Of course in 2007 I rode my motorcycle up to that PA high school to watch DC lose to the Harrisburg City Islanders. Now that was depressing.

9. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Mario, I guess it boils down to this, should that reshaping happen sooner, next week, or later, a month from now? Does it even matter as long as it happens before next season?

10. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You don't have to explain yourself to anyone here. We're all Internet nuts, and we do amazingly obsessive things that are hard to explain to 'normal' people.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm in the camp that says that if we're going to fire Soehn (and we should), then I'd rather get it done as soon as possible. Why? Because we have the expansion draft at the end of the next month (which will also include the first round of waivers) plus we start preparing for the next signing window. The playoffs only delay this change and actually make it harder to get a new coach in before the first round of big moves to the roster.

12. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm right there with ya, brother.