Best football players of all time

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by stcv1974, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Primes since 1960 (5 years):
    Pele/Messi
    Cruyff
    Maradona
    Cristiano
    Platini
    R9
    Zidane
    Ronaldinho/Zico

Peaks:
    Pele
    Messi
    Maradona
    R9
    Ronaldinho
    Cruyff

.... Cristiano isnt in top-10.

2. Cruyff14910

Cruyff14910 New Member

Netherlands
    Jan 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #1752 Cruyff14910, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    In which world are Ronaldinho and Nazario's peak better than Cruyff's?
    That's ridiculous
    Cruyff 73/74 is the only version in history that performed at the goat level in both national and club levels.
    Before Cruyff's arrival, Barcelona was at the bottom with 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses. After Cruyff's arrival, they didn't lose 26 games in a row.
    He also had the second best performance in the history of the World Cup (the first without cheating).
    Ronaldinho and Nazario can't even dream of this

Sexy Beast repped this.
  3. Bin1250

Bin1250 Member

Arsenal
    Argentina
    Jun 16, 2023
    Top 30 player since 1950
    1-Messi
    2-Pèle
    3-Maradona(quality the best)
    4-Cruyff
    5-CR7
    6-Di Stefano
    7-Bekenbauer
    8-Zidane
    9-Puskas
    10-Platini
    11-R9
    12-Gerd Muller
    13-Zico
    14-Best
    15-Eusebio
    16-Matthaus
    17-Maldini
    18-Baresi
    19-Charlton
    20-Yashin
    21-Ronaldinho
    22-Gullit
    23-Van Basten
    24-Romario
    25-Xavi
    26-Suarez(Spain)
    27-Garrincha
    28-C.Alberto
    29-Michael laudrup
    30-Kopa

Buyo repped this.
  4. LaPulga22

LaPulga22 Member

Messi FC
    Argentina
    Mar 10, 2023
    This is my BEST Footballer´s of all time List based on absolute Peak not greatest

Tier 1 : Messi and Maradona

Tier 2 : Footage Pele, Zico, Cristiano Ronaldo

Tier 3 : Cruyff, Baggio, Ronaldo Nazario/Beckenbauer/Neymar

RamyBt and Trachta10 repped this.
  5. Bin1250

Bin1250 Member

Arsenal
    Argentina
    Jun 16, 2023
    Cristiano's peak is a little high I put the peak of Messi, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Zico, Franz Beckenbauer and Platini higher than the peak of Cristiano.

6. LaPulga22

LaPulga22 Member

Messi FC
    Argentina
    Mar 10, 2023
    Cristiano 09/10 is a joke tbh

RamyBt repped this.
  7. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    He was terrible in world cup lol
    No way you think he peaked better than Cruyff 71-74

8. LaPulga22

LaPulga22 Member

Messi FC
    Argentina
    Mar 10, 2023
    put Cristiano 09/10 in a International Super team and he is going Berserk in the WC

RamyBt repped this.
  9. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    You have admitted that he is a system player lmao
    If he was a good dribbler or playmaker, then why was he awful against Spain? He cannot control the game's tempo and he isn't a good playmaker
    His strength is off the ball movement and that's why he depends on his teammates
    But someone who doesn't care about the full matches and only watches highlights can't understand this

10. LaPulga22

LaPulga22 Member

Messi FC
    Argentina
    Mar 10, 2023
    He is not a System Player. For me a System Player is someone who has no real Individual Ability and is only good in a specific Role at a specific discipline.

But I still think CR7 flopped in World Cup's in General.But CR7 in 09/10 at Real Madrid was actually showing Complete Footballing Ability Dribbling Being a Great Final Third Creator and scoring amazing Different type of Goal's.

I think Cristiano Is heavily depended on having Super Team's but that does not make him a System Player.

11. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Best seasonal peaks (1 per player)
    Tier 1
    Cruyff 73/74, Maradona 85/86, Messi 14/15, Pele 63, Platini 83/84
    Tier 2
    Di Stefano 56/57, Garrincha 62, Beckenbauer 73/74, Zico 81,Best 67/68, CR 16/17, R9 96/97, Eusebio 64/65, Puskas 53
    --
    Best primes (4 seasons in a row)
    Pele 62-65
    Cruyff 71-74
    Messi 10-13
    Maradona 85-88
    Platini 82-85
    Di Stefano 56-59
    CR 09-12
    Zico 79-82
    Beckenbauer 71-74
    Eusebio 65-68

Buyo and Bin1250 repped this.
  12. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    CR 16/17 and 11/12>>>> CR 9/10

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've been finding once you start looking at football related tweets it's hard to stop recently lol (but they've been pretty good to see on the whole for sure anyway).

Already today I've checked and found this one for example (I already made my estimated choices on the forum and went Best-Maradona-Cruyff-Ronaldo-Messi for dribbling and Platini-Hoddle-M.Laudrup-Cruyff-Didi for passing, with Pele-Garrincha-Faas Wilkes-M.Laudrup maybe the closest contenders for dribbling and Gerson-Zico-potentially Nils Liedholm-Bergkamp for passing)
    goated.football.opinions on X: "Top 5 Greatest Dribblers - 1. Lionel Messi 2. Pelé 3. Diego Maradona 4. George Best 5. Garrincha Top 5 Passers ever - 1. Michel Platini 2. Diego Maradona 3. Xavi Hernández 4. Lionel Messi 5. Johan Cryuff HMs - R9 , Neymar , KDB , LSM https://t.co/Ceu0fVvSeV" / X (twitter.com)

But anyway among the tweets have been some player vs player comparison calls, and I got thinking that in some ways that's a more appropriate/feasible way to list the best players ever in general (as much as we all get tempted in to trying a straight list of 1 to 100 at some point).

So I came up with this (feasibly it could contain my call for top 100 outfield players I guess, but it's pretty hard/impossible to definitively suggest that), including a few relative old-timers (but I don't rule out that I'd indeed see them as top 100 level anyway, or even that I'd add a few more - it's particularly hard to make a call on that though I think - in general in terms of the candidates more on the fringes of 100 names for me I erred towards good choices for the player comparisons too), based more on idea about 'best' (making this thread appropriate I guess) as in prime level rather than 'greatest' as in related to full career and making the choices a balance between close verdicts and suitable matches in terms of role/attributes, and with a descriptor for each comparison that highlights the playing qualities of both players in a complimentary way (listing each head to head alphabetically i.e the surname/football name with the letter highest up the alphabet on the left, even though I did consider already revealing my own probable calls by putting the player I'd maybe put ahead on the left instead...but decided against that at the moment)....

The Prolific Magicians
    Lionel Messi vs Pele

The Team(/assist)-Focused Super-Soloists
    Johan Cruyff vs Diego Maradona

The Inspirational Midfield Technicians
    Michel Platini vs Zinedine Zidane

The Playmaking Goal-Machines
    Alfredo Di Stefano vs Ferenc Puskas

Die Turbo-powered 'Rolls-Royces'
    Franz Beckenbauer vs Lothar Matthaus

The Talented Dynamo Winger/Forwards
    George Best vs Cristiano Ronaldo

The Multi-Talented Strikers
    Ronaldo vs Marco van Basten

The Super-Athletes with Football Ability
    Eusebio vs Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

The Incisive & Decisive Attacking Midfield Legends
    Bobby Charlton vs Gianni Rivera

The 'Big & Small' All-Timer 'Number 10s'
    Ruud Gullit vs Zico

The Instigator Wizards
    Michael Laudrup vs Ronaldinho

The Ball-Playing Defensive Masters
    Franco Baresi vs Bobby Moore

The Penalty Area Geniuses
    Gerd Muller vs Romario

The Unstoppable Wing Creators
    Luis Figo vs Garrincha

The Trequarista Fantasistas
    Roberto Baggio vs Giussepe Meazza

The Supporting-Striker Geniuses
    Dennis Bergkamp vs Kenny Dalglish

The English 'Dribble-Assist' Masters
    Tom Finney vs Stanley Matthews

The Irrepressible Strikers
    Thierry Henry vs George Weah

The Box-to-Box Masters
    Johan Neeskens vs Patrick Vieira

The All-Timer Left Back All-Timer Central Defenders
    Ruud Krol vs Paolo Maldini

The Dynamic Attacking Midfield Creators
    Gheorghe Hagi vs Kaka

The Elusive Inventors
    Raymond Kopa vs Dejan Savicevic

The Speedy&Spectacular Goalscorers
    Jurgen Klinsmann vs Andriy Shevchenko

The Two-Way Brazilian Right Back Masters
    Cafu vs Carlos Alberto

The South American Schemers with the Velvet Touch
    Juan Schiaffino vs Socrates

The Elite-Level Central Midfield Dynamos with Elite-Level Central Defender capabilities
    Duncan Edwards vs Frank Rijkaard

The Unique Wing Forwards
    Dragan Dzajic vs Jairzinho

The Midfield/Left Wing Playmaker Goalscorers
    Pavel Nedved vs Rivelino

The Technicians of 'The Hole'
    Eric Cantona vs Francesco Totti

The Left-Footed Superstar Attackers of La Liga with the Big International impact
    Mario Kempes vs Raul

The Stylish & Skillful Deep-Lying Midfielders
    Fernando Redondo vs Jean Tigana

The Prolific Inside Forwards
    Just Fontaine vs Jimmy Greaves

The Technical Pass Masters
    Didi vs Glenn Hoddle

The Athletic Goal Poachers
    Gabriel Batistuta vs Gary Lineker

The 'Deep-lying' Magyar Masters
    Florian Albert vs Nandor Hidegkuti

The Premier League Superstar Wing Creators(/Scorers)
    Ryan Giggs vs Robert Pires

The High-Class Sweepers
    Matthias Sammer vs Gaetano Scirea

The Assist-Masters with the Golden Right Boots
    David Beckham vs Dragan Stojkovic

The 'Dribbler Inventors'
    Brian Laudrup vs Rob Rensenbrink

The Decisive Conjurors
    Ladislao Kubala vs Rivaldo

The Complete Playmakers
    Paulo Roberto Falcao vs Nils Liedholm

The Great Attackers who were Great Defenders
    John Charles vs Gyorgy Sarosi

The Midfield Masters
    Jozsef Bozsik vs Xavi

The 'Number 10's with the cutting edge around the box
    Sandro Mazzola vs Tostao

The Technical Master Scorers
    Sandor Kocsis vs Denis Law

The Decisive Orchestrators
    Kazimierz Deyna vs Gerson

The Game-Changing Inventor Technicians
    Adolfo Pedernera vs Matthias Sindelar

The Stylish Play Initiators
    Andres Iniesta vs Rui Costa

The Dynamic Midfield/Attack National Heroes
    Jan Ceulemans vs Teofilo Cubillas

The Talented Italian Scoring Experts
    Silvio Piola vs Paolo Rossi

I thought it was better to stick to outfield players (in some ways it does make sense to do like in the IFFHS end of century elections and keep things separate even though I suppose clubs do assess the value of goalkeepers in comparison to outfield stars in some respect in terms of amounts they pay for transfers): it's also get tricky to make 'like-for-like' goalkeeper comparisons maybe but I guess if I'd done some based on my idea of the top candidates in general I might have ended up with Lev Yashin (as per boderline 50s/60s period perhaps) vs Peter Schmeichel (as per early-mid 90s probably), Gordon Banks (as per mid 60s maybe) vs Gianlugi Buffon (as per mid 00s I'd think), Peter Shilton (as per borderline 70s/80s period I'd think) vs Rinat Dasaev (as per early-mid 80s I guess) and Dino Zoff (as per borderline 60s/70s period potentially) vs Michel Preud'homme feasibly (as per early-mid 90s I think)...or would that have been Gyula Grosics from the 50s...or should it even be Ricardo Zamora from the 20s/30s?? I suppose I didn't really have any pure central defender comparisons either (but I do tend to think the best all-round defenders...or all-round players who played in defence, being great defenders, to put it that way...were generally excellent ball players also) - I guess I'd not be far from considering something like Elias Figueroa (as per mid 70s) vs Alessandro Nesta (as per mid 00s) for an example of something closer to an outright centre back comparison though....

I didn't think it was worth starting a new topic, but feel free to make calls on my match-ups if you like obviously (probably better to focus on only ones where you feel you have a good enough idea about both players though, and I'll clarify finally that I was making the match-ups theoretically allowing for adaptation if thinking about any 'time machine' scenario of playing in each other's times so it should be more about the intrinsic qualities of the players, although their development is obviously relevant to that, at least in the sense of technique/game awareness etc).

RamyBt repped this.
  14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I might've used the word masters a bit too much if anything lol (I thought I was going to vary it up a bit more and have maestros in there for example somewhere originally!), but anyway I've bolded the choice I probably lean to myself now in the above quoted post (and I thought I might as well try it for the suggested goalie/CB match-ups at the bottom too, albeit I might be even more uncertain there than for many of the other match-ups in some respects).

Like I say, anyone can else feel free (not that I could prevent it anyway) to make your own calls on the match-ups I went with. I guess saying 'clear choice', 'close call', 'virtual draw' and suchlike would be informative too (I think most of mine would be close call or virtual draw (such as Fontaine vs Greaves and Kempes vs Raul where I came down just about on one side considering the peak factor being the main one even if World Cup play/success may be over-influencing me potentially I guess, or Rivaldo vs Kubala or Scirea vs Sammer), which they should be considering I made the match-ups....or even 'undecided' which in effect Charles vs Sarosi and Sindelar vs Pedernera might be for obvious reasons! - I'm not sure if Cubillas vs Ceulemans is virtual draw or undecided even really lol for another example too, or necessarily which one of those might fare better on peak period and which one on career all in all anyway)

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMO

Lionel Messi >Pelé

Diego Maradona >Johan cruyff

Michel Platini > zinedine Zidane

Ferenc puskas >Alfredo Di Stefano

Franz Beckenbauer > Lothar Matthaus

Cristiano Ronaldo > george best

Marco Van Basten > Ronaldo Nazario

Eusebio > Karl Heinz rummenige

Bobby Charlton > Gianni Rivera

Zico > Ruud gullit

Ronaldinho > Micheal laudrup

Franco Baresi > bobby Moore

Gerd Müller > Romario

Luis figo > Garrincha

If what I read is accurate and not exaggerated
    Meazza >> Roberto baggio and maybe meazza> anyone who ever lived
    Do you remember the comments I linked you to on meazza in his pes stats database page?
    Dribbling the entire team whilst being drunk etc

Kenny dalglish > Dennis bergkamp

Don’t have an opinion on Matthews vs finney

Thierry Henry > george weah

Patrick viera > Johan neeskens

Paulo maldini > Ruud krol

Hagi > Kaka

Raymond kopa > dejan savicevic

Shevchenko > klinsmann

Cafu= Carlos Alberto

Don’t know enough on Juan Schiaffino to say if he was better than Socrates

Frank Riijkard >Duncan Edwards(he died too young to make this an actual debate)

Dragan Dzajic = Jairzinho
    From what I read Dzajic 68 was probably the best Euro performance ever
    Jairzinho has a reasonable shout for best World Cup performance ever too

Will give my opinion on the others later

RamyBt and PDG1978 repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just between us two at the moment then (and just for the ones you've made a call on) that gives early 2-0 leads to Platini, Beckenbauer, Van Basten, Eusebio, Charlton, Zico, Baresi, Muller, Figo, Dalglish (I bolded Bergkamp but didn't actually mean to I realise now lol!), Henry, Maldini, Hagi, Shevchenko and Rijkaard, and a slight lead (due to you calling it a draw) to Cafu and Dzajic (along with Moore vs Baresi, and theoretically Piola vs Rossi maybe that one between Dzajic and Jairzinho is even one of the ones I'd be most tempted to go with draw on myself though I think)....with the others being tied at 1-1 at the moment....

carlito86 repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Re: Meazza yeah I remember the thread where we were discussing those PES stats posts (from the old PES stats site I think), and the memories of the old Italian fan (relayed by his son IIRC).

It's just hard to tell for those older players. Some old-timer Italians seem to think him and Baggio were comparable though anyway. I've obviously seen first hand more of what Baggio could do (and he did it in a more modern game), but I don't rule out that Meazza could do even more.

carlito86 repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I wasn't wishing ill on Beckenbauer/Matthaus there lol! The first word is in German (most of you probably realise) - I'd originally been thinking of using 'der' but that is for singular items/people - maybe 'Der Rolls-Royce' und 'Der Porsche' would have worked ok for those two though!

The Schiaffino/Socrates and/or Iniesta/Rui Costa pairings might have been where I had the word maestros in mind originally to be included, but I guess the descriptors work ok anyway as they are.

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1769 carlito86, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Rivelino > pavel nedved

Francesco totti > Eric cantona

Raul/Mario kempes
    Undecided to be honest
    I’m pretty certain kempes at his absolute peak was a better a more capable player than Raul but I’m not sure how close kempes was to that absolute peak level

Tigana>Redondo perhaps
    I feel maybe redondo was in theory the best player of all time in his position but again his ultimate potential was not realised due to injuries and not being given the chance at international level during what was his peak

Batistuta > Gary linekar

Scirea> sammer

Robert pires > Ryan giggs

David Beckham> dragan stojkovic
    Stojkovic similar to kempes In that his absolute peak level was a tier above the player he is being compared
    But he left Europe way to early and even before that he had serious injury issues to contend with

Beckham realised his potential and then some
    And his body of work is vastly superior to the much more talented stojkovic

Andres iniesta > Rui Costa

Sandor Kocsis > Denis law

Rob resenbrink> Brian laudrup

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Rivelino, Totti, Pires and Iniesta have gone into 2-0 leads too then. Scirea and potentially Kempes, as more of a stretch too (but at least Scirea does lead 2-0 I think given I did give him my call albeit saying it was pretty much a tie - not different to Baresi vs Moore I suppose in that respect; on Kempes vs Raul neither of us were really sure though!).

Also Beckham, but it might be if we used exactly the same approach to deciding it'd be 1-1 (not sure though, and I do agree that in terms of technical talent in general Stojkovic had more), since I wasn't ignoring full career exactly maybe but I'd been thinking more along the lines of 'best' player like I said.

21. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Messi>Pele
    Maradona=Cruyff
    Platini>Zidane
    Di Stefano>Puskas
    Beckenbauer>Matthaus
    CR>G Best
    R9>van Basten
    Eusebio>Rummenigge
    Rivera=Charlton
    Zico>Gullit
    Ronaldinho>Laudrup
    Baresi>Moore
    Romario>G Muller
    Garrincha>Figo
    Baggio>Meazza (I don't rate pre WW2 players)
    Bergkamp>Dalglish
    Matthews>Finney
    Henry>Weah
    Neeskens>Vieira
    Maldini>Krol
    Hagi>Kaka
    Kopa>Savicevic
    Klinsmann>Shevchenco
    C Alberto>Cafu
    Schiaffino>Socrates
    Rijkaard>Edwards
    Dzajic>Jairzinho
    Rivelino>Nedved
    Totti>Cantona
    Kempes>Raul
    Redondo>Tigana
    Greaves>Fontaine
    Didi>Hoddle
    Batistuta>Lineker
    Hidegkuti>Albert
    Giggs>Pires
    Scirea>Sammer
    Stojkovic>Beckham
    Rensenbrink>B Laudrup
    Rivaldo>Kubala
    Falcao>Liedholm
    Charles>Sarosi
    Xavi>Bozsik
    S Mazzola=Tostao
    Kocsis>Law
    Gerson>Deyna
    Sindelar>Pedernera
    Iniesta>Costa
    Cubillas>Ceulemans
    Rossi>Piola

RamyBt and PDG1978 repped this.
  22. stemau

stemau New Member

Jun 22, 2023
    Hello everyone,

We're excited to share on the Big Soccer forum our new project, "Your Soccer Games". We aim to bring together collectors of old soccer matches from all over the world.

Right now, three top collectors have shared their lists on our site, with a total of 440,000 matches:

- **Futbolvideo** from Brazil with 100,000 matches
    - **Davja** from Australia with 40,000 matches
    - **Your Soccer Games** from France with 300,000 matches

More collectors are joining us soon, adding to our database that already has over 70 years of soccer history.

**Your Soccer Games** is for everyone who loves soccer:

- **Pro players**: Look back at your old matches.
    - **Collectors**: Find rare matches.
    - **Influencers**: Use our video database for your social media.
    - **Fans**: Watch historic matches of your favorite club.

Check out all the matches on our website: https://your-soccer-games.com/all-matchs

23. stemau

stemau New Member

Jun 22, 2023
    Hello everyone,

We're excited to share on the Big Soccer forum our new project, "Your Soccer Games". We aim to bring together collectors of old soccer matches from all over the world.

Right now, three top collectors have shared their lists on our site, with a total of 440,000 matches:

- **Futbolvideo** from Brazil with 100,000 matches
    - **Davja** from Australia with 40,000 matches
    - **Your Soccer Games** from France with 300,000 matches

More collectors are joining us soon, adding to our database that already has over 70 years of soccer history.

**Your Soccer Games** is for everyone who loves soccer:

- **Pro players**: Look back at your old matches.
    - **Collectors**: Find rare matches.
    - **Influencers**: Use our video database for your social media.
    - **Fans**: Watch historic matches of your favorite club.

Check out all the matches on our website: https://your-soccer-games.com/all-matchs

24. Agility

Agility Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Messi>Pele
    Maradona>Cruyff
    Platini>Zidane
    Di Stefano>Puskas
    Beckenbauer>Matthaus
    CR>G Best
    R9>van Basten
    Eusebio>Rummenigge
    Rivera=Charlton
    Zico>Gullit
    Ronaldinho>Laudrup
    Baresi>Moore
    G Muller>Romario
    Garrincha>Figo
    Baggio=Meazza
    Bergkamp>Dalglish
    Matthews>Finney
    Henry>Weah
    Neeskens>Vieira
    Maldini>Krol
    Hagi=Kaka
    Kopa>Savicevic
    Klinsmann>Shevchenco
    C Alberto>Cafu
    Schiaffino>Socrates
    Rijkaard>Edwards
    Dzajic=Jairzinho
    Rivelino>Nedved
    Totti>Cantona
    Kempes>Raul
    Redondo>Tigana
    Greaves=Fontaine
    Didi>Hoddle
    Batistuta>Lineker
    Hidegkuti>Albert
    Giggs>Pires
    Scirea>Sammer
    Stojkovic>Beckham
    Rensenbrink>B Laudrup
    Rivaldo=Kubala
    Falcao>Liedholm
    Charles>Sarosi
    Xavi>Bozsik
    S Mazzola=Tostao
    Kocsis>Law
    Gerson>Deyna
    Sindelar=Pedernera
    Iniesta>Costa
    Cubillas>Ceulemans
    Rossi>Piola

Gregoire1 repped this.
  25. Domenico Berardi Enjoyer

Tottenham Hotspur
    Australia
    Nov 2, 2023
    I agree with most of these, but Baggio is not equal to Meazza. Actually, there isn’t a forward in the history of Italian football who is close to Giuseppe Meazza.

carlito86 repped this.