Best ever goal?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by mackem_ftm, Aug 17, 2002.

1. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    I Love individual goals , so here is a list of a couple that stick out in my mind:
    Ryan Giggs vs. Arsenal 199? FA Cup Semifinal
    Maradona vs. England & Belgium 1986 World Cup
    Saeed Owairan (sp?) vs. Belgium '94 WC
    A couple of other goals that I'll always remember:
    Gascoigne vs. Scotland '96 EC
    Josimar vs. N. Ireland '82 WC
    Roberto Carlos vs. France '97 Tournei de France
    Negrete vs. Bulgaria (I think) '86 WC

2. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    gibby, sorry, i guess i read over that or something.

There's another goal that i saw one time from Elber of Bayern Munich. I think it might have been the 2000 season. Anyways, he's one on one with the keeper, only elber is forced all the way to the corner flag by this keeper. The keeper pursues and elber just hits it with the outside of his right foot and the thing just trickles over the goalline. It's a really neat high light to watch.

3. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002

4. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
  5. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Yeah, I think that's it. I believe one of the clips I have of it says something about a hat trick.

That goal was just beautiful.

6. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Zico vs Jugoslavia in the 70's where he dribbled dozens of players,similiar too Maradonas 1986.

7. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    Geoff hursts "they think its all over" goal against the Germans in 1966 absaloutly fantastic i will never get tierd of seeing that goal.

Owens goal against Argentina in 98 was a classic on of the best england performances ever and as usual we went out on the penalties.

Bergkamps goal against Argentina in 98 was also another classic and proberbly the best of all time.

And the 5 england scored against Germany were fantastic at the time i watched because i was drunk (watching the goals sober is still good but u realise that the Germans mistakes contributed to them) Great night. I hope carsten Janker got his finger cut of for wagging it the aroggant bastard.

MagOO(who?)

8. astabo0ty

astabo0ty New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    South Florida
    omg i just remembered one of the best ever i think. it was in an Arsenal vs Newcastle Untd game from this previous season. watching it live, i was amazed. If i can remember Arsenal was pushing up the left side towards mid. Im not sure if the ball was moved in then passed to Bergkamp or just crossed to him but he had his back to the goal near the top of the 18 and a player was RIGHT on his back marking him. When the ball came instead of trying to settle it or anything he did a thing with his foot where it went to his right and he went to his left and around the defender and met up with the ball perfectly and put it away. Many people argued it as a mistake but no way it wasnt skill.

9. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Can anybody find Roy Wegerle's amazing run for QPR?

How about Roberto Cabanas' flying overhead back heel for the Cosmos?

Another fave: Tresor's side volley against Germany in the '82 semifinal.

Oh and those Dutch guys from the 70's weren't afraid to shoot from outside.

10. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    Balboa bicycle

My favorite goal was Balboa's bicycle against the Crew a couple years ago. That year's MLS goal of the year.

He took a driven cross and had one of the purest bicycles to the upper 90 from about the 18.

11. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    One of those dudes was Arie Haan he scored against Dino with a great shot.

There are so many goals to chose from but one thing is for sure it is a Dutch goal :)
    Most like one of these two:
    Van Basten 1988 EC Final
    Bergkamp 2001/2002 EPL against Newcastle (?)

12. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    'Celo's bike against the Crew was nice... but I've seen clips of 100 better bicycle/overhead volley goals.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Very simple, CL final 94, Savicevic, Making Nadal looking like a schoolboy and scoring the greatest goal i've ever seen

14. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    Name one and why it was better.

I've seen other great bikes as well, but it is so rare that they are from hard driven crosses and from as far out as the 18. The shot was also a rocket. Not some looping shot the fell into the goal. There was a reason it was shown all over the world.

15. Ronaldo13

Ronaldo13 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    NY
    I'm pretty young so i haven't seen that many amazing goals from older players...but i'd have to say Roberto Carlos' curving ball a gainst france a few years back was the best....the curve on the ball was unbeliveable...the players had no idea what to do or what actually happened...great goal

16. soccer*satr

soccer*satr New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    canada
    i Think the best goal is when maradona scored vs england.

17. soccer*satr

soccer*satr New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    canada
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  19. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Jesus Lord above!!!
    I was literally going to come on here and give that as a contender (half joking), but now someone else has said it, I'm going to be serious. :)

It got goal of the season, unfortunately wearing the bloody awful away kit (I've never agreed with red and black).

It's here amongst others - scroll down to 90/91 season.

http://www.qpr-mad.co.uk/news/loadsngl.asp?CID=EDZ5

20. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    another goal that i saw that i consider one of the greatest is Jay-Jay Okocha when he played for an German team(can't remember the name)against Bayern Munchen when he dribbled in the penalty area for a long time and made slalom with Oliver Kahn and his defenders.
    You should see Oliver Khan's face after that.

21. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    So where does the bullet part fit in? The shape of his head maybe?

22. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002

Was it???
    Must have missed it. :rolleyes:

23. Blueberry

Blueberry New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Paris
    Any Jean-Pierre Papin's volley and bicycle kick. On his day he was the best and the most spectacular goalscorer in the world.

24. slpsoccer

slpsoccer New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    USA, MN
    A list

http://www.worldcuparchive.com/TOP10/top10.html

Although this is only goals scored in the World Cup.

1. Diego Maradona (ARG)
    Argentina vs England (2-0) 1986
    Unquestionably the greatest goal ever scored in a World Cup. It came just minutes after the infamous "Hand of God" goal. Maradona ran from his own half, beating every English player who stood in his way and finished it off past a helpless Peter Shilton.

2. Saeed Owairan (SAU)
    Saudi Arabia vs Belgium (1-0) in 1994
    Known as the Maradona of the Arabs, Saeed Owairan received unexpected attention world wide for this phenomenal goal. Just as Maradona in 86, he ran from his own half past Belgians who looked unbalanced in defence and with a little luck Owairan managed to get past them all and score.

3. Arie Haan (HOL)
    Holland vs Italy (2-1) in 1978
    This must be the most impressive goal from long range in World Cup history. Arie Haan had scored from 30 yards in the match against West Germany earlier in the tournament, but with this magnificent strike from 40 yards, he sent Holland to the final against Argentina.

4. Pelé (BRA)
    Brazil vs Sweden (3-1) in 1958
    A wonderful display by Pelé when juggling the ball past a Swedish defender and then volleying it home from close range. And the boy was only 17!

5. Roberto Baggio (ITA)
    Italy vs Czechoslovakia (2-0) in 1990
    A marvellous run by a young Roberto Baggio after receiving the ball on the half way line, nothing could stop him from scoring.

6. Dennis Bergkamp (HOL)
    Holland vs Argentina (2-1) in 1998
    Arguably the greatest goal of the last World Cup. Bergkamp controlled de Boer's 50 yard pass with ease before finishing off in style.

7. Diego Maradona (ARG)
    Argentina vs Belgium (2-0) in 1986
    Another display of dribbling brilliance by Maradona. Four Belgians were left for dead before Diego slotted the ball home past goalkeeper Pfaff.

8. Archie Gemmill (SCO)
    Scotland vs Holland (3-1) in 1978
    A goal to remember from the little Scotsman. Dribbling his way into the penalty area from the side, before lifting the ball like a master over the goalkeeper.

9. Carlos Alberto (BRA)
    Brazil vs Italy (4-1) in 1970
    A cracking shot after fine work by Pelé and Jairzinho settled the scoreline at 4-1 in the final. This goal was the icing on the cake for the Brazilian champions of 1970.

10. Manuel Negrete (MEX)
    Mexico vs Bulgaria (1-0) in 1986
    This was truly a magnificent goal. An acrobatic and well executed volley from outside the penalty area which would have made it into any "Greatest Goals" ranking.

25. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    "Roberto Carlos vs. Tenerife

After recieving the ball on the left, he is parallel to the goal, and bends it in from out side 18. Like off of a corner, but a few yards closer. Not sure if the description is correct."

A nice one, but no way in hell he went for the goal. Lucky shot. Nice one though.

The '78 Holland - Italy goal people are talking about.... wasn't that Neeskens instead of Arie Haan?

Ofcourse the 88 van Basten goal was a beauty. A bit of luck ofcourse, but a very nice goal.