Best ever game you've seen Italy play?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Jul 16, 2013.

1. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    That 2006 win was great, but as a teen watching them beat Brazil in 1982 was the greatest for me. Brazil squad was one of the best ever assembled.

SF19, Midfield General and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1982 was phenomenal but i wasn't even born yet so i don't really appreciate it as much as 06. It's different to experience it as it happens vs history i suppose, also i was in Hamburg in 06 and got to see the Italy - Ukraine game live so i'm definitely biased.

totti fan and Midfield General repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #128 falvo, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Today is the anniversary of the 1994 World Cup Final at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena California!!

I can’t believe 27 years have passed!

I’m not sure if the best game I ever saw Italy play but it was the most important game I’ve ever attended.

[​IMG]

Rossonero23 and r0adrunner repped this.
  4. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    1982 vs Brazil
    2006 vs Germany

Ameijoas and falvo repped this.
  5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2006 v Germany.

It was far from a vintage Germany team, but it was their first defeat in Dortmund and was fully merited, while the occasion and qualification for the final made it a game for the ages.

I got more satisfaction from that win than even the final!

culopeloso and calabrese8 repped this.
  6. Non Venite in Puglia

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 26, 2021
    July 4, 2006 — World Cup Semi Final: Germany vs Italy

Rossonero23, calabrese8 and La Magica repped this.
  7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Love watching that game every so often on YouTube. Right from the first whistle you can tell there is a special vibe occurring in that game. Absolute boss lineup, total confidence in their ability across the pitch and grew more and more into the game, peaking at the right time. That was game management perfected in an incredibly tense atmosphere. Dont think it can be bettered.

calabrese8 and scirea6 repped this.
  8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The second half of that overtime against Germany was nirvana.

9. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess it's safe to assume that Italy can roll into anyone's house and push their shit in regardless of streaks/records.

calabrese8 and scirea6 repped this.
  10. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Without question, it's Lippi's masterpiece.

It wasn't a "vintage" German squad, but they had been gaining in confidence and expectations had been growing throughout the tournament, and they were certainly favored to win in Dortmund (in no small part because they'd never lost a competitive match there).

But the Azzurri were so well balanced and so patient, Lippi's tactics were like a boa constrictor slowly suffocating its prey. Germany literally ran out of ideas as they tired, and Lippi broke them with his final substitutions during extra time.

It was like watching a chess grandmaster checkmate his opponent after trapping them in his endgame.

Rossonero23, SF19, Pietro Calcio and 3 others repped this.
  11. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    Conte's dismantling of Germany at the EURO 2016 was pretty legit as well. That was probably the last talented Italy team of our lifetime and they completely outplayed the reigning World cup champs with loads of talent.

culopeloso repped this.
  12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    might be the weakest 3 mids we ever started in a game. Sturaro - Parolo - Giaccherini

culopeloso, La Magica and johnny6 repped this.
  13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You cant get anymore Conte than that lineup.

Rossonero23, SF19 and calabrese8 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This one , 40 years ago today......

15. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Something that gets lost because it was a tie, but we went completely toe to toe with Spain in the Opening matchday of Euro 2012 ended 1-1.

I remember reading a story where that clownface Platini kept repeating "what a match....what a match" during the tie. And to be fair, he wasn't wrong. It was a beautiful Italia display that day.

Trappatoni's complete dismantling of Wales 4-0 is also one the gets forgotten, and showed what we could be like with all our stars healthy and in the lineup.

The game that will never be touched is the 2-0 win over Germany...unbelievable game. both teams went to war and the good guys won. That 2006 team could run with any team. The greatest national team of my lifetime. I'd play that team against any historical team. That team didn't understand losing...it wasn't a thing for them.

16. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    was a great game. still baffles me to this day though that Prandelli decided to switch gears and go with a 4-1-3-2 in the final vs Spain after he tested and had work the way to go toe to toe with that Spain with the 3-5-2 he had in the opening match (with De Rossi in the center of the back 3).