Best dribblers

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Alessandro10, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    This is my list of the top 10 dribblers ever:

1. Messi
    2. Maradona
    3. Garrincha
    4. Best
    5. Ronaldo(R9)
    6. Cruyff
    7. Savićević
    8. Sivori
    9. Ronaldinho
    10. Pele

I'm not 100% sure on the 8, 9 and 10 positions. Baggio, Robben or Giggs could be in contention.

Edhardy repped this.
  2. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    I think Pelé is underrated in your list.

If we think about dribbling in four aspects/points:

1) Dribbling leads to a shot, assist or goals (solo goals) normally related to dribble in small spaces but not only. The most important.
    2) Using dribbling and runs to advance the ball many meters close to the opponent's goal. Ball-carrier style.
    3) Variety, different ways of beating efficiently the opponent.
    4) Being a consistent threat in this aspect.

Pelé fulfills all these aspects.

1) He was a very powerful dribbler close to the opposing goal with his power, body strength and variety of dribbling, also for his ball control which was very good. Many of his dribbles lead to a shot or assist or goal in important moments (finals, vs top clubs, vs top defenders etc)

0:25 Dribble lead to a shot and a own goal, you can see he making some runs to progress the ball too.

0:55 Dribble lead to assist. 1:35 Solo Goal.

2) Pelé was normally the main ball carrier for his teams, even in the 1970 World Cup he was still exceptional in that...pace, strength, creativity, work rate.

3) Pelé had a incredible variety of dribbling, dribbling using strength, using changing directions, sombreros, nutmegs, dribles-da-vaca, simple dribbling by changing the leg ball, kicking the ball in the opponent's leg, using feints, even some type of Cruyff turn.

4) He had a great consistency.

R9 ticks the boxes of:

1) dribbling lead to a shot, assist or goal
    2) variety (stepovers, megs, elástico etc)
    Elite in both.

but not so much:

3) in carry his teams, he did it sometimes, but not frequently for the Brazilian NT he did less for example. I don't need to talk about over 90kgs R9 at Real Madrid I think.
    4) He always was a elite dribbler (looked threat even in Corinthians), but declined after his injuries. Couldn't maintain his level.

Of course he was excellent after all.

So for me, Pelé was a better dribbler than R9 at the end of the day. Both elite dribblers of course.

To be continued. Garrincha, Ronaldinho, Neymar.

spartacus7, Gregoire1 and Legolas10 repped this.
  3. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Good names in that list.
    I would add

Paulo Futre
    Pierre Littbarski
    Dragan Stojkovic
    Luis Figo
    Magico Gonzalez
    Vassilis Hatzipanagis
    Brian Laudrup

And in more recent times, Neymar Jr and Eden Hazard.

4. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC

A great dribbling performance by two of the very best. In the description it says Messi completed 11 and Ronaldinho completed 9.

5. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    R9 had a good dribbling performance vs Real Madrid in this match:

Neymar completed 13 dribbles according to OPTA vs Real Madrid

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I prefer this at 1:01
    This along with Manchester United performance in 2003 was most likely his best in Europe(CL level)

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #7 carlito86, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Neymar vs madrid 18 was statistically impressive but alot of those dribbles led to hardly anything
    R9 98/99 didnt complete probably even 10 dribbles during that CL encounter vs Madrid

Yet he created more danger in that one highlighted dribbling run than any of Neymars 13

Same as ronaldinho gaucho vs arsenal 2006
    10 dribbles in a CL final looks mightly impressive
    Maradona esque even

Yet it was unanimously considered to be a average performance

For reference jay jay okocha playing for Nigeria completed 15 dribbles in 1 match against what was (at least on paper)one of the greatest defensive teams of all time

Nobody in his time
    Or our time
    ever talked about it being one of the all time performances

You can easily see why reviewing the footage
    Most of his dribbles were not penetrative or used as a means to progress the ball
    Some caused danger but most were for showboating

Ronaldinho seldomly posed a serious threat vs arsenal and his shots were also woefully tame

Just to be clear
    Prime Ronaldinho was indeed a generational talent(excellent 1v1 dribbler and playmaker)

I just say this before you shout ronaldinho completed 10 dribbles vs arsenal =great historic dribbling performance

'Magicien'
    But where is the magic?
    Timestamps

Advanced data without context and footage can only give you part of the picture
    And in this case a very distorted one

I think neymar at the nou camp against Juventus some years back
    2016/17 if i recall correctly was elite,his dribbles penetrative and firmly belongs in the conversation as one of the best CL dribbling performances

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Edit timestamp

4:40 i meant to say
    Successfully takes on 3 players on the flank and lays on a chance for Roberto Baggio

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Messi's early numbers reflect this. He dribbled a lot (9.77 attempts in 2005-06, followed by 9.79 and 11.77 in 2006-07 and 2007-08, respectively) and did so successfully (7.40, 7.08 and a whopping 8.64), which is not surprising, as he often received the ball wide on the right in one-on-one situations, with opponents keying in on the Ronaldinho threat on the opposite flank

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-ma...dinhos-barcelona-understudy-to-goat-candidate

That 8.64 dribbles completed per match is ridiculous/otherworldly
    I cannot imagine any player,in any league in any era matching that IMO

Gregoire1 and Edhardy repped this.
  10. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    My take:
    1. Pele
    2. Messi
    3. Maradona
    4. R9
    5. Ronaldinho
    6. Best
    7. Garrincha
    8. Sivori
    9. Cristiano
    10.Zico

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #11 carlito86, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021

This was just 7 days after his father passed away, showing a great level of commitment to the game by politely turning down Alex Ferguson's offer to take extra time off.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  12. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Great numbers! I think if we talk of EFFECTIVENESS of dribbles and volume, only peal Pele (60-64) or peak Fenomeno are close to this numbers....

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #14 carlito86, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    2011/12

73 goals(including 24 goals after 1+ dribble)
    29 assists
    213 dribbles completed
    149 chances created
    In 60 appearences

15. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015

From the footage, Ronaldinho played a good game.... I don't see your point.

16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @PDG1978

2:54 - 2:59
    :ROFLMAO:

Chris Waddle took no prisoners

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, that is Giggs in 93/94 that he is putting on the floor with his feints.

I noticed a while ago Papin goal videos from particular seasons, so maybe if you didn't see them yet there will be a few Waddle assists you'd not viewed yet potentially. This is the 1991/92 one:
    PAPIN All 27 Goals Marseille 1991 1992 - YouTube

I guess Waddle would be somewhere towards the top of a British dribblers list. I think on some occasions it could be he ended up fooling himself or losing control of the ball (at times for example in the Italia 90 World Cup IIRC) but when not doing that he could certainly elude opponents and often had good end product afterwards to create chances. Sometimes he could go on a long mazy dribble himself (also down the left although probably overall he tended to be better from the right cutting inside).

Maybe something like this for a British dribblers list (putting in some old ones I didn't see much of overall of course)
    1 - George Best
    2 - Stanley Matthews
    3 - Tom Finney
    4 - Ryan Giggs
    5 - John Barnes
    6 - Len Shackleton
    7 - Jimmy Johnstone
    8 - Paul Gascoigne
    9 - Bobby Charlton
    10 - Chris Waddle
    11 - John Robertson
    12 - Cliff Jones
    13 - Charlie Cooke
    14 - Peter Beardsley
    15 - Pat Nevin
    16 - Peter Osgood
    17 - Jimmy Greaves
    18 - Peter Thompson
    19 - Trevor Francis
    20 - Robbie Dennison
    21 - Gareth Bale
    22 - Colin Bell
    23 - Steve McManaman
    24 - Paul Merson
    25 - Joe Cole

I remember I did try a top 20 worldwide before but on a different thread I think, so I'll add it and extend to 25 names too:
    1 - George Best
    2 - Diego Maradona
    3 - Johan Cruyff
    4 - Ronaldo
    5 - Lionel Messi
    6 - Pele
    7 - Garrincha
    8 - Faas Wilkes
    9 - Michael Laudrup
    10 - Brian Laudrup
    11 - Ronaldinho
    12 - Stanley Matthews
    13 - Ricardo Bochini
    14 - Tom Finney
    15 - Luis Figo
    16 - Dejan Savicevic
    17 - Roberto Baggio
    18 - Omar Sivori
    19 - Pierre Littbarski
    20 - Zico
    21 - Paulo Futre
    22 - Rivelino
    23 - Rui Costa
    24 - Ariel Ortega
    25 - Mario Kempes

Edhardy and Gregoire1 repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Actually, as an accidental coincidence, I've stumbled over some Marseille Waddle videos on that same channel (I remember now those Papin videos don't show a whole load of Waddle assists and think it's just French league maybe while there were more in the Champions League - the Marseille goals video for 90/91 CL goals is available on Youtube too though of course for example).

But yeah, I see on the channel that these have recently been uploaded (I haven't watched them yet myself either) for Waddle's dribbling and passing with the French club:
    Waddle Marseille 1989 1992 Les Dribbles de Chris Magic Waddle - YouTube
    Waddle Marseille 1989 1992 Les passes de Magic Waddle - YouTube

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    ....meanwhile I did think since I was attempting that British dribblers list from scratch today there could be some cases of names I'd leave off and subsequently think I might have put on there, but I didn't realise it might be a Nottingham Forest player (though I did put two of those on already)!

I do think, though I saw limited footage of him with him being a 1960s player, Ian Storey-Moore could be a good option to be on there apparently. So I could take off Joe Cole, or alternatively take out Merson, potentially, and slot the ex-Forest player Storey-Moore in there indeed.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This was the previous post I'd made that I was recalling btw (not really in a relevant thread to be honest, but a bit of a random post!)
    Of course it's pretty much impossible to try to be so precise and do it place by place, even to our own satisfaction, but I guess my ideas didn't change too much overall. The combined list is for passing+dribbling combined which is probably obvious anyway! I think the 5 I added for dribbling yesterday can all merit it, although it could just as easily be others probably, and for example I wouldn't feel sure about Rui Costa over some of the others on the combined list in dribbling (but likewise he'd not be clearly behind for passing I don't think - maybe his range and variety was not as broad as for some other players but within a certain scope he could be great with them, and particularly chance creating passes I'd say; his dribbling was really smooth though and often I suppose it was literally a combination of dribbling followed by a pass when he was the most effective). Maybe Rivelino isn't a certain choice either, while I was definitely thinking I could have considered putting in Safet Susic, as well as Raymond Kopa from the combined list or Eden Hazard as another example.

If I did extend the combined list to 25 too I guess it could be I'd add Susic to that, plus Dragan Stojkovic and Gheorghe Hagi, and perhaps Luis Suarez Miramontes and Platini.

It's getting off topic for this thread, but extending the passers list too, I could be thinking about Netzer, Stojkovic, Scifo, De Bruyne and Xabi Alonso perhaps being added in.

Meanwhile I did think another Forest player could even be on the British dribblers list or be a decent call for it (I'd given him a mention on the solo goals thread, although that's not completely the same as best overall dribblers to be fair, even if restricting to dribble goals which he definitely had a few impressive examples of, including for Southend before he even joined Forest IIRC). That is Stan Collymore. I should probably stop the Forest contingent there lol, but outside of that another player that came to mind that I wouldn't be sure to place below Bale as a dribbler necessarily was Eddie Gray.

21. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    I think its reasonable to do two separate list:
    Most effective dribblers and most "aestetically pleasing" dribblers.
    Most effective top-5:
    1. Messi/Pele
    2. Ronaldo 9
    3. Maradona
    4. Cruyff
    5. Ronaldinho/Neymar

Most "aestetical" top-5:
    1. Ronaldinho
    2. Zidane/Maradona
    3. Ronaldo 9
    4. Pele
    5. Neymar

22. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    What about Zidane and Neymar? Not in top-25?

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think not far away, or 'arguably' inside, from my perspective too. Zidane I did put 9th on the combined dribbling/passing list and possibly more because of the dribbling side of things, at least if taking quite a 'wide' view of what dribbling includes. As a pure dribbler I'm not really sure I have Neymar over Hazard but as an overall player I suppose I would (could say the same about Robben probably vs Hazard).

Gregoire1 repped this.
  24. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Great! Could you post this "driblling+passing" list?

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sorry, it was probably a bit hidden in my earlier reply (in a quoted section).

This was what I had when I did it....
    Combined - 1-Cruyff,2-M.Laudrup,3-Maradona,4-Pele,5-Messi,6-Zico,7-Rivera,8-Figo,9-Zidane,10-Kopa,11-Ronaldinho,12-Beckenbauer,13-Liedholm,14-Bochini,15-Deyna,16-Savicevic,17-Baggio,18-Gascoigne,19-Rui Costa,20-Tigana

And today I potentially added
    21 - Susic, 22 - Stojkovic, 23 - Hagi, 24 - Suarez Miramontes, 25 - Platini

Though there can be various other valid choices, and quite a few I could easily have had in mind myself I think. Hard to cut it off and call it a definitive 'top 25' but I have to stop somewhere!

I've colour coded it just now so you can easily see which players were also in my attempt at a top 25 dribblers list (blue type) and which in my top 25 passers attempt (bold type). Bold and blue = both of course.

As you can see that does mean in effect I did follow through with the 'change of mind' to put Susic into Rui Costa's place in the dribbling list in the end (23rd, or somewhere around there anyway).

Gregoire1 repped this.