Best Defensive Mid of the Last 10 Years?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by billyireland, Nov 15, 2003.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm not going to give an opinion yet, since it might effect some peoples judgement.

2. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Clarence Seedorf.

3. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question

This is a good question, that I have also pondered.

If I were to start building a team, IMHO the foundation would be the defensive mid field. Though having said that, there is a considerable difference in the defensive / attacking orientation of "defensive" midfielders.

For example, I would add Didier Deschamps to this list. I do not think that the French National team was the same without him. However, Deschamps was definitely a more defensive minded player than, say, Roy Keane or Edgar Davids

Ironically, despite my comments related to the French National Team above, I also admire the play of Claude Makelele. More so with his former club team, Real Madrid, than with his national team.

4. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    He's young and has not yet established his full reputation, but I would say that Ballack will be considered one of the great defensive midfielders.

5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Fernando Redondo

6. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Yeah, it'd be tough to guess who your choice would be ;)

7. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
    Not Desailly in that pool ???!!!

What a joke !

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    1. Ferris - Ballack is 26 or 27, and quite established... he's world class, but I wouldn't put him up there with the aformentioned

2. Mobile - me, obvious? NEVER!

3. Sildegil - don't know quite how to break this to you, but Desailly is a centre-back

Just remembered, I FORGOT GULLIT!

9. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
    What an idiot ...

Ok when u want to post stuff on Soccer boards try to get a fcking clue !

Desailly played as a def mid during almost its all Milan AC's period.

He was at its peak during this time.

With age, he moved back to defense (which was its previous position).

Pathetic

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Finished making an ass out of yourself there, Mr. Hostility?

You're trying to tell me that a centre-back converted to defensive mid at club level alone for only four years should be considered the best over a 10 year span in defensive mid - including those playing there at both club and country? Get a fucking clue

11. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no contest, Vieira.

If you asked the same question in ten years though, it will be Steven Gerrard.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Funny you should say that billy.
    Two seasons ago against the cottagers Desailly was penciled in to play in the middle against them at Craven Cottage due to an abysmal run of injuries.

The game ended up with the ludicrous situation of 5 at the back, three center halves no less.
    Desailly was quoted after the game on sky saying "Marcel Desailly is a center back--not a midfielder" when asked why he was playing so deep.

13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Any words for us then, sildegil?

BTW "Old Man Clan", did Desailly really refer to himself in the 3rd person?

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    vinny jones

15. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Who cares. Even as a defensive mid, he wasn't as good as any of the choices on this poll. I voted for Keano.

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were points last year where it looked like Vieira had surpassed Keane. Watching Keane chasing Vieira down from behind in the Community Shield this year just restored normal service.

17. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    i would like to second Fernando Redondo. He should at least be a candidate. He ran the show for Real Madrid. One wonders what might have been had he not had that falling out with Passarella (idiot), or been injured this last time.

18. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Well, if someone like Roy Keane is nominated, then of course Redondo should be there too. I remember those two classic Champions League games between MU and RM a few years ago. Redondo completely overshadowed Keane in those games.

19. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Not saying this is a bad thread, but I don't see why only for DM's were listed. I could name at least 10.

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes.
    That was an exact quote.

Game wasn't at craven cottage though was it...;)
    My mistake.

21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Because I did it off the top ofmy head (and was haiving somewhayt of a mental block at the time), so I forgot several players liek Redondo, Gullit, etc.

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'll agree with you that Desailly should be considered a centreback, not a midfielder.

But Gullit?
    Firstly he was an attacking midfielder, much more a Rui Costa or Aimar than a Keane.
    Secondly, all his knee operations had effectively left him a shadow of his former self by 94.

If you are going to pick anyone from that Milan and Holland team, pick Frank Rijkaard.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always thought that Didi Hamann was very under-rated. Frankly most great defensive mid-fielders are probably under-rated and we only start to notice them when, even temporarily, they stop doing that particular job. Keane is an obvious example. Given the choice between Keane, (of a few years ago), and Nicky Butt as an all-round player I would go for Keane, (much as it pains me to say it), but as a defensive mid-fielder - someone to provide protection for the back four it has to be Butt simply for the reason that Keane always had a tendency to go forward too much which is, obviously, the same reason he catches the eye of everyone else.

I used to have a friend of mine, (much older than me I hasten to add), who played something like 500 games as centre half for Norwich and Wallsall back in the fifties. He played against some great players including Stanley Matthews. Anyway - there were 2 fellas who played basically in front of him as left and right half, the idea being that one went forward sometimes and supported the attack and one was supposed to provide protection for the back three, i.e. left and right back and my mate. The problem was one particular guy that sometimes played nearly always went awol and if his team lost the ball up-field my mate, who was a big, rather cumbersome bloke, then had a nippy inside forward bearing down on him at 100mph probably supported by a centre forward and maybe the other inside forward, i.e. 3 on 3. The other fella that sometimes played actually did what he was supposed to do and the team kept it's shape and usually won. The crowds loved the first bloke but my mate preferred the other one.

24. magic38

magic38 New Member

didier deschamps

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    dunga should be in the poll

but the best to me was fernando redondo