Best defender in the world.......

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by kindredspirit, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

Oh dear. It's been a while since I saw anyone make quite such a cunt out of themselves as you have managed to do here.

This link might help you a bit. You might want to pay particular attention to the years 1977-84:

http://www.travelnotes.org/Football/European/champs_finals.htm

If I were you I'd be feeling pretty fucking stupid right about now. How does it feel to know that everyone who reads your post laughs at you and thinks you're a complete prick?

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

He ain't English, buddy :D. but in 2 or 3 years, I'd expect him to have gained consistency through experience (the best way!) and be one of the worlds best fullbacks

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia

1. Yeah - English and their foreign national team coaches, I laugh at them!

2. Look at the range of teams from countries to win the cup:

Spain = 2 (Real Madrid, Barcelona)
    Italy = 3 (AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus)
    Germany = 3 (Bayern Munich, Hamburg, Dortmund)
    England = 4 (Man Utd, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest)

Also, recently Italy has not been successful in the CL - sure, last season they did great (3 semi finalists, both finalists, winners), but before that it had been FOUR YEARS since they had had a team advance past the quarter finals.

"The Team of Extraordinary Gentlemen" just bitch slapped an Italian team (Lazio) a few days ago, 4-0... forgot that, didn't ya? John Terry (who has been better than Campbell, Rio or almost any defender in the world this season, imo) was part of a defence that allowed... no goals!

4. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

I didn't say he was English, I thought I remembered someone mentioning him earlier in the thread.

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

I know, I know... just sandwiching him in between Campbell & Rio in a discuss that has turned into English defenders vs. Italian defenders, I had to give it a mention

Also, Gabriel Milito & Metzelder will be right up near the top of this list in 3 or 4 years, imo

6. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    According to voting at FIFA.com these are the best defenders ever, with Beckenbauer, Maldini and R. Carlos taking the top honors. Obviously, R. Carlos as the 3rd best defender ever is a travesty (IMHO).

Franz Beckenbauer
    Paolo Maldini
    Roberto Carlos
    Franco Baresi
    Marcel Desailly
    Lilian Thuram
    Hong Myung Bo
    Bobby Moore
    Carlos Alberto
    Daniel Passarella

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/pf/h/dtc/launch.html

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom I think Roberto is a liability defensively. He overlaps so much that even with his speed he cannot recover on counterattacks. For all his speed and skill he exposes the defense. That said, I acknowledge he is a good ball winner and has great skills, but most are in going on the attack. I do admire his calmness under pressure. He has a knack for playing the ball out of the back when players try to pinch him towards the corner flag or the touchline, but that does not make him a great defender.

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

english clubs record against italian sides is second to none..
    please feel free to check the results archives and get back to us..

http://sathanasias.bravepages.com/f-res/football.html

http://www.rsssf.com/ec/England.html

englands overall euro record is also second to none..

http://www.krysstal.com/europe.html

I always love proving these jokers wrong..
    These plastic italians seem to have difficulty dealing with actual facts.
    just go down to the italian forums and read a match review after a defeat..
    they never get tired of inventing new excuses..
    who was to blame???
    the pitch ,the ref ,under-strength team ,the pope ,the weather,etc...
    hell will freeze over before these clowns ever hold up their hands and admit they were beaten by a team who just happened to play better..

[​IMG]

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and god bless that referee.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I suppose it's a statement of opinion strictly speaking, isn't it.
    Well, that's sort of my point - looked at sensibly Cannavaro is a great defender but he has certain drawbacks that would make it difficult for him in certain leagues, specifically the EPL where we do tend to play balls in the air for a big centre forward either from the wings or from front to back. If you examine most of the central defenders in the EPL you will see they are about 6' plus, about and are very good in the air. If you are playing four across the back the wing-backs are usually a bit smaller at just under 6' but are often quicker because of it.

I think Cannavaro is about 5'9" so would tend to struggle in the EPL as, indeed, he did the other night against the Poles when the ball was played in the air.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that it is as simple as that - what I am saying is that to make statements about this player being better than that player when they are both great defenders but who play in different teams in leagues where the styles are different isn't sensible.

I also think you have to bear in mind the mental aspects of the game where the passionate, (too passionate?), approach has sometimes let the Italian and Spanish sides down. Personally I believe that is why most of the major international championships over the past 30-40 years, (i.e. WC and EC), have been won by Northern European sides most notably Germany of course.

I'm not suggesting this is solely down to the defense but I think it is a factor.
    Agreed.

My own personal favourite Italian defender, though, over the past 15-20 years has been Maldini.

In English defenders it would have to be old Psycho himself, Stuart Pearce or maybe Tony Adams.

For the French I would suggest the rock, Marcel Desailly, although I also liked Laurent Blanc. Thuram is a tremendous player too.

I haven't watched Chivu much... but it looks like this error may soon be remedied.

http://www.soccer365.com/EUROPEAN_NEWS/Rest_of_Europe/page_109_57193.shtml

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    LoL this thread is hilarious. I enjoyed the read :D

Canzano55...ehehehehheeh you messed up buddy :D at least get the facts straight lol.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Maybe you should shut up before you embarrass yourself further - or should I say even further...

13. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

I hope retrieving those websites didn't take too much time out of your coffee break. Very interesting I must say; I was kinda goin from memory last time, and so I think its obvious my CL facts are a bit askew regarding English club achievements. I admit, I'm too lazy to actually get the facts first hand, so I'm glad I was handed this information. Regarding your comment on the CL records Monk, I'm a little bemused as to why you described them as "second to none"? I tallied each game (I know I'm amazed myself that I actually took the time to do it) and I must say that "second to none" does not do exact justice to the actual truth. If I'm not mistaken (and I sincerely hope I'm not) Italy's record against England is a series of losses, ties and wins which inculde: 39 losses; 33 ties and 41 wins which amounts to a total 113 games played in both Champions Cup/Winners Cup and Uefa cup. Again, not exactly "second to none" but the results are close nevertheless.
    But I guess the real question is, why should this matter? It was never my intention to bring this subject up, but after reading Bennett's discombobulating rant involving things he knows nothing about I felt like slamming him. Unfortunately I ended up slamming myself; facts and figures are essential factors in presentation and I believe strongly in that. But as to what league is better or which player is better, or who maintains the best record is frankly a bunch of bullsh^t. Every nation has had champions, and that will never change.
    When the discussion is about defenders I do take it to heart, but it must also be acknowledged that there is massive amount of talent and achievements that should be recognised and respected. And saying that Italians are complainers and that they make ridiculous excuses when they lose is such a fuking ironic comment that it’s laughable. English fans take losses to heart like everyone else because soccer is a way of life for many; and when so much time is spent on cheering, praising and motivating, pride can be a very influential factor. My only concern is the well being of Milan as it has always been; the performances of other Italian clubs (or any other clubs for that matter) is presently not in my interest.

As to the subject of this thread; Nesta is obviously my favourite (and the majority of the world when you account the official uefa.com pole which established the best "staring eleven" of the 2001/2002 season) and I think he would be more than just another candidate for "the best defender award". Nesta is an inspiration to all defenders because his skill and class, and more importantly he is the pupil of the "once best". This ofcourse could all change, but as it stands Nesta is a deserving player for such a title.

14. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I will Vote for the Mexican Kaiser Rafael Marquez.. Many of you havent really seen him play but he will be Mexicos main player in Germany 06.. He is also real good in the midfield.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It doesn't matter to me at all - that's why I didn't raise the issue of Italies comparitive record. Soccerfreak #1 did when he said

' That is the first league in Italy, a three time world cup winner. The world cup is a big tournament for national teams, held in a four year rhythm. Maybe you remember it.'

All I'd said was that top Italian defenders had been unsuccessful in stopping both Welsh and North Korean attackers scoring goals in important matches in recent times. His response was to point out that

'Wales took part in it in 1958'

Apart from anything else this would imply that Wales aren't all that good but he fails to infer from that that this means they probably aren't particularly good so, logically, Italian defenders should be able to handle them assuming they're as good as he likes to think they are.

So, unfortunately, <B>SOMEONE ELSE</B> raised the issue - NOT ME.

You then stated that I had

' in a slimey and unsophisticated fashion you managed to harrass the pride of Italy supporters'.

Are these the same Italian supporters that wailed and whined about their defeat to North Korea?... A country whose club chairman talked about sacking the North Korean player that scored the goal against them?...

I'm sorry but when that sort of thing happens you are going to struggle to receive any sympathy - no-one likes a bad loser.

For my part I will stick to my belief that there are a number of great defenders in the world and some of them are Italian... and some of them aren't... but 1.) it's almost impossible make a <B>SENSIBLE</B> judgement as to which are best and 2.) Some are better suited to 'particular styles of play'* in particular leagues.

*With many apologies for the jargon in the phrase 'particular styles of play'. I'm sorry if you find it confusing.

16. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    wow really amusing thread!

17. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    It's Marcus Babbel or Craig Short anyway.

18. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

There, now. That wasn't too hard, was it?

19. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

Nice, that you quote me, but don´t you think you´re giving my post a "little" tooooo much meaning????????

Oh, and you can´t judge a defense by the teams they conceded goals against ot they lost to.

Football is a little more complex than that, but that comment proves to me that you don´t know ANYTHING about football...

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I htink I've seen him play in France, if it's who I think it is, he is very, very good.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

You don't say.
    Ah, the penny drops.

22. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

Halleluja!!!!

That gives this thread a very gode note!

Yeah, we saved another lost soul, Praise the lord!

23. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Eddie Pope

Case Closed.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting article by Marcel Desailly about the differences between the EPL and Italian league.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/3280873.stm

'He found the move to English soccer a big culture shock and was forced to start almost from scratch when he moved to England because of the difference in the style of play.

"It's a more violent, a faster game. I came from Milan, where the game was more intellectual, more orderly, almost quiet," he said.'

Like I said - different.

25. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who IS Eddie Pope???? Dose he pay in Europe? Never heard of him.