Best Defender 07/08

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Grinners89, May 2, 2008.

1. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There are only 2 possible nominations for this given that Skrtel, Arbs and Aurelio's good form wasnt for long enough. Finnan and Riise have had poor season and wouldnt be in contention at all.

My choice...veteran Sami gets my vote due to his consistency throughout the season and didnt scare us as much what Carra did with his reckless tackling around the box. Also scored some important goals from dead-ball situations, especially the one vs Arsenal to get us back in the match. Probably wont play many games next season given that Agger, Carra and Skrtel will be ahead of him as well as the possibility of Hobbs and San Jose getting most of the Careless Cup games.

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carragher not at his best but gets my nod, he still made a ton of ridiculous tackles.

3. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Carra vs Drogba in the 2nd leg when Drogba was waltzing into goal...Carra really is a freak, only if he didnt make the original mistake.

4. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would've gone the Skirt- He came in midseason got chucked in the deep end and looked like he belonged straight away- the fact he kept Sami out of the starting spot for that game shows how much Rafa rates him. ;)

ps- Since I don't actually mod this forum I cant amend the poll for ya- only Matt & 26 can ;)

6. Jono-NZ

Jono-NZ New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    I chose Sami aswell, you couldn't ask anything more of him...to look at it bluntly, at the start of this season he was back up CB (shown last season (from memory Agger played in more of the bigger games)). For a footy player in the twylight of his career (being 34 and your contracts being one year extensions) to step up and consistently perform when we desperatly needed him, he is a champion. That goal against Arsenal in the CL, champion.

I just hope we can get the prem before he goes, because the man is a champion.

7. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Carragher was well below his best. Sami or the Skirt for me but Aurelio really found form this year imo.

8. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sami for me. People said he was past it, but proved them all wrong. IMHO he's the best defender we've had since I've been supporting Liverpool.

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people are forgetting Sami had an atrocious start to the year - an own goal against everton, beaten for a penalty against Porto, etc.

He had a tremendous turnaround to the season - but as was shown against Chelsea - where as soon as Skrtel went out - he was beaten by Kalou on the Drogba first goal, and then committed the penalty on the second goal - his time is up as an everyday, or even every other day player.

The goals were great.

Problem is - Skrtle didn't get a full season, and no one will disagree that Carragher was actually not up to snuff this season.

Sami it is for me. Then Skrtel, then Carra, then Aurelio.

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'll write in for Javier Mascherano, thank you.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree.

He is still our most reliable defender. His passion and committment was again, second to none.

Sami will be a fantastic fourth choice CB next season though.

12. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington
    Sami for me. I was confinced he was finished near the start of the season when he kept scoring home goals, but he sure proved me wrong. I should have had more faith.

13. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carragher was the best defender this year. Sami had a really good resurgence, but he wasn't the best defender.

IMO, Skrtel or Agger would have been the defender of the year if they would have had a full season. Our defense will be great next year...GREAT!!!

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That will also depend on our fullbacks, unless Rafa decideds to play Carra at RB. Our fullbacks have been defensive calamities this year and as strong as our center might be we need help from our fullbacks.

15. Morsello

Morsello New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Carragher. Gets the job done in any way possible, a real workhorse