Best College in Usa

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Victhekid, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Victhekid

Victhekid New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    which college do you think offers best soccer team in USA? :confused:

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here's a top five:

1. Saint Louis University BILLIKENS!
    2. Indiana University Hoosiers
    3. University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) Bruins
    4. University of Virginia Cavaliers
    5. Leland Stanford Jr. (Stanford) University Cardinals

I would say this is a composite list compiled through past AND recent history. This is a good indicator of the NCAA's All-Time top 5 college soccer programs.

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, since he didn't say men's or women's soccer you would have to go with University of North Carolina. Which has pretty much owned the women's game and even one a national title with the men. ;)

4. Hodson

Hodson New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    NE Ohio, USA
    Penn State and Wake Forest could be added to that list. Both offer superlative educations too.

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal
    Historically there were a handful of schools that finished at the top year after year. These schools posted great records because they seldom ran into serious competition until the College Cup. Over the last 10 years a number of schools, especially private schools, have taken steps to become top tier programs. Examples would be St. Johns, Notre Dame, Santa Clara.
    As a result the handful of dominant programs is now more like 15 to 20 schools all of which are serious contenders to win the College Cup.

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego State seemed to have been good back in the day. A lot of people played for that team. Most notably Eric Wynalda and Marcelo Balboa. Allen Hokins went to SDSU too! But he's an announcer now.

7. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey, SMU is a perennial contender, don't leave them out. I believe they are ranked number 1 at the moment as well.

8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    If so, not for long.......... :rolleyes:

BRF

9. oldexpress

oldexpress New Member

Nov 22, 2004
    at one time i would agree that st louis university was one of the best. they have not had the top recruits going there lately from st louis but those players are going outside the state

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    If you're looking for great coaching, it's got to be South Carolina. Only there can a player get BERSONIZED.

11. hoosiercountry

hoosiercountry New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    indianapolis
    College soccer is hard to rank the perennial programs right now would probably be: (in no order here) Indiana, Maryland, UCLA, St. John's, Duke, Virginia; although down here we hate cavaliers. Up and coming are probably Duke, who has an awesome assistant doing all their recruiting, South Florida, Who's coach, george kiefer is probably the most underrated coach in america, also northwestern who went from doormat of the big ten to being a respectable side with gerardo alvarez and there host of others. Also look for the Big Ten too be a factor in the college game for a while they have arguably the best talent playing there in the US. And programs taking a dive for the worse are probably SLU, who has shown that they can't win under a coach who has no clue what the hell is going on, and San Francisco who used to be a contender from the 70's to the mid 90's. My my my how this game changes.

12. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    SLU just had one bad year. Of course, we can't ALL live up to the current standard of the Hoosiers, but the Billikens are still one of the nation's best.

13. imegu

imegu New Member

Nov 30, 2004

Florida International University they play a great schedule and are moving into a much better conference. They play all the big boys during the year.
    This year they played UNC,Wake, SMU, St.Johns, South Florida, Hartwick,and South Carolina and while they lost a few of those all the games were entertainig and close all the way up to the end. They haven't gone deep into the playoffs in a few years but they also had to deal with the brief suspension of the program while it was brief it did have an affect on recruiting but look out they have some big time kids coming in next year.

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I only clicked on this thread assuming, based on the title, it could only be about University of Maryland. In fairness there are lots of choices (and bias).

15. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Why did FIU have to suspend the program? And when did it happen?

16. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

Home of the soon to be national champions

17. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    How in God's name does Creighton not even come up in this discussion? And yet we still hear about SLU as one of the colleges that should be on this "list of best colleges" Give me a break.

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    IU, Maryland, Wake, UVA, UCLA are my top 5. IU , UVA and UCLA have been producing over the long haul, while Wake and Md have come on really strong in the last few seasons.

19. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    The BIG ONE must have hit....Bloomington has never looked so good.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the two dominant powers in college soccer are Indiana and Maryland. Everyone else is a step down.

21. hoosiercountry

Nov 29, 2004
    indianapolis
    To all the SLU fans who read these boards: if your school is one of the "best in the nation" where are the titles and players. Granted SLU has produced a lot of talent and won a lot of games. I'm not knocking that they are probably my second favorite team in college. But, to be the best you need a coach that brings in more than four kids a year and they need to stay past their freshmen year to make an impact. The team hasn't won a title in 30+ years. This is why i think the team in SLU is on the downfall.

22. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, there's really no need for the second match tonight? Or a final on Sunday, right? ;)

23. hoosiercountry

Nov 29, 2004
    indianapolis
    well if thats the way you want to put it. :D