Berti's out but Walter Smith in!

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by markdickson, Oct 14, 2004.

1. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/sport/6014723.html

The Evening Times says that Berti won't be in charge this time next week! -hopefully they're right. But it also says, and I've heard this before on Radio Scotland, that the SFA would appoint Walter Smith as his replacement! :mad:

IMO, Smith's a cheque-book manager, a not a very good one. At Everton he did nothing and there's a good reason why he's currently "available" (BTW, Gordon Strachan retired from Southampton, he wasn't sacked). I think Davie Moyes is a similar type of manager to Strachan and has achieved much more at Goodison than Smith ever did!

Is it me or is the S.F.A. hell-bent on defying what the fans want?

2. DJ_RFC

DJ_RFC New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I dont think any Premiership based Scottish managers would quit the premiership for the National team, also i think Strachan would rather be more involved 'week in week out' rather than waiting months for a game. Rumours suggest George Graham as a replacement but i just can't see that happening to be honest. That only leaves Walter Smith and i think he could do a better job than Berti. Bookies have slashed the odds from 4/1 to 6/4 for Walter (who is favourite) to replace Berti.

Do you still see Tommy Burns as the ideal assistant? I'm not sure

3. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    If it is Walter Smith they appoint, I'd like to see either Gary McAllister or Eric Black as his number two but wouldn't Smith want Archie Knox?

4. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
  5. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Maybe an ideal candidate for a number 2?

6. DJ_RFC

DJ_RFC New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That wouldn't surprise me

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We need to make a long-term appointment and not rush things. If that means we have to stick with Berti until the end of this campaign, then so be it. The SFA should also do what happens down south. Get the likes of Levin involved with the national team setup. This should be a case of all hands on deck.

8. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Ladbrokes have stopped taking bets on Walter Smith becoming the next Scotland manager. :(

9. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    I would rather have Strachan bit if Walter gets the job then we need to get behind him! I think he has to appoint a very good number 2 as well.

10. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    He wouldn't leave Chelsea just for that.

11. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    We need someone who wants Scottish football to change and move forward, however the SFA just want another 'yes' man to do what he's told. Walter is this man.

Big changes are needed at the SFA, paying managers millions when we don't even have 1 proper indoor facility is insane. They don't know how to run the football association. David Taylor is a ********ing retard, he must be the first to go!

12. DJ_RFC

DJ_RFC New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Just heard on the radio that the board meeting for Berti's future has been called off!

13. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
  14. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Thursday 4th November now! :confused:

15. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Apparently the problem is that in Berti’s contract is a clause which relates to “damage to reputation” if he were to get the sack. This could obviously bump up the compensation considerably if it’s true.

What they should take into consideration is the damage to Scotland’s reputation as a footballing nation he has caused!

16. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Let him sue! I'd like to see him try to prove that to a Scottish judge and/or jury.

17. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    BBC is reporting that Voghts will get the sack Monday.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/3734094.stm

Story mentions Smith and Ginger.

See also this BBC story:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3747136.stm

Several including O'Neill, Fergie and Souness say that anyone who actively is seeking the Scotland job should have their head examined. In Souness' words:

18. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Hooray, Berti’s finally gone!

I know we don’t have the greatest pool of talent but Berti rarely got 100% out of the players, maybe only against Iceland, Germany and Holland (the first leg obviously!).

Hopefully the new man (even if it's Walter Smith) can restore some of our pride, starting with a victory over Italy! ;)