Bernard Kerik to head DHS

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by obie, Dec 2, 2004.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just announced. Interesting choice -- he was a decent NYC police chief (probably his best moves were not screwing too much with Bratton's ideas, and then not trying to steal the spotlight from Rudy in the way that Bratton did) and it's a tip of the hat to the importance of New York in the DHS mission, but can he implement anything on a national scale?

Edit: Story here.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Let me be the first to say "who the ******** is Bernard Kerik"?

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the NYC Police Commissioner during 9/11/01 -- succeeded William Bratton, who was the mastermind behind New York's "quality of life" crime crackdown in the 90s. Now works in the private sector for Rudy, training Iraqi defense forces.

Let's just say that that effort is a "work in progress".

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I actually know who he is obie (I'm a NYC resident, after all), but he is a really obscure name to the rest of the country.

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One pretty mean-looking SOB:

[​IMG]

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just don't let him buy any radios. Last time it didn't work out so well.

7. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a GREAT appointment! When he says the color has changed on our Homeland Defense Terror Warning System=> you better listen up all you friggin leftist liberal punks or Kerik's gonna smack ya! BRAVO!

8. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happens when he refuses to drink the Bush koolaid and proves to be his own man ?

I give it 5 months than he's out.

9. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Kerik headed up the NYC Department of Corrections before being promoted to Police Commissioner prior to 9/11. He was a Giuliani flunky before and after becoming Police Commissioner. Giuliani wanted an extreme loyalist after the experience with Bratton and Kerik fit the mold.

An intellectual lightweight and a nice flunky. Perfect for the Bush administration.

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Well, he did make campaign appearances for Bush.

This says a lot about the job. I'd guess there were other, more qualified possibilities who wanted no part of it.

11. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Trust me, this guy will drink as much Kool Aid as Bush wants and will ask for seconds.

12. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    New HLS Director

Kerik Named to Lead Homeland Security

Dec 2, 7:00 PM (ET)

By DEB RIECHMANN
    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush has chosen former New York police commissioner Bernard Kerik, who helped direct the emergency response to the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes against the Twin Towers, to lead the Homeland Security Department, charged with safeguarding Americans from future attack, administration officials said Thursday.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How stupid. What is the color thing supposed to do, anyway? Does yellow mean ignore people lighting sticks of dynamite on airplanes and orange tell the stewardess, or was it orange-red?

14. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what the world and NY see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4065105.stm

http://www.newsday.com/news/columni...ec03,0,6336366.column?coll=ny-news-columnists

Mother was an alcoholic prostitute who abandoned him as a toddler. Dropped out of High School. Worked for the Saudi Royal Family. Fined by the Conflict of Interests Board for using Police Officers in a private investigation. Has two young daughters with second wife Halah and a grown son. Fathered another daughter while stationed in Korea.

Here's your AP, red state, all-you-need-need-to-know, propaganda, LMAO version:

http://www.news-leader.com/today/1203-ExNYPDtopc-240889.html

When Bernard Kerik was New York's police commissioner, he helped turn Gotham from an urban war zone into one of the safest big cities in the world.

Man, is he lucky Karl Rove is a Republican. Basically, he, like Giuliani has milked 9/11 for all its worth.

15. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this man is special. The type that keeps a special paddle in the closet to keep the wife and kids in check. You know, the kind with holes through it to help it move through the air.

Secretly, chaps and Chelsea bars come to mind.

16. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a hard-ass. It will be interesting to see what a real cop can do with the relatively new position.

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    When Bernard Kerik was New York's police commissioner, he helped turn Gotham from an urban war zone into one of the safest big cities in the world.

Comedy at its finest. This writer has watched too many movies about New York.

18. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    He'll do what Giuliani tells him to do.

19. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    To a certain degree I would hope so. Why?

Well, just think that the ex-executive/governor Ridge couldn't handle the bureaucratic monster this new department encompasses and what this "hard-nosed cop" will be able to handle. I hope he has solid advisors, not named Bush. Doubt it.

This looks good on the surface but so do many girls after a few beers. I'd hate to wake up in the morning next to this guy.

20. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Giuliani will help him but will distance himself if another terrorist attack takes place. Anybody who wants a future in politics will stay away from the DHS post.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Most definitely. IIRC his mom was a hooker who was murdered and he had a rough childhood in a rough neighborhood in Paterson. Went to Eastside HS (of Joe Clark fame) and was an undercover narcotics officer. I'd say he won't put up with too much bvllshit.

22. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    He's well liked by the media, for some reason. Maybe it's his good look.