Berhalter's Positives

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by adam tash, Oct 16, 2023.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please someone tell me what grgggggggggggg adds to the USMNT?

what is it exactly that gregggg brings to the table that 1,000 other American coaches don't?

How does greggg differentiate himself as the best option to lead the USMNT?

he is a great recruiter, i'll give him that. but he doesnt need to be usmnt manager to be the recruiter for the program.

I think he is also good at interviewing, press, and public relations (but who cares, honestly...well, other than those that hired him and the fed bigwigs)......

please enlighten me. please explain it to me.

im not being sarcastic...I literally cannot begin to identify anything positive he adds as coach of the team. all I see is a bunch of negatives.....but apparently, the players love him and wanted him back

what is it that he has that I cant see? what do others see in him that is positive???

2. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    The players like him

The Clientele repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    He's a good test taker.

4. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Recruits dual nats well, players like him, gets solid results, pisses off people like OP who are never happy about anything. What’s not to like?

Mahtzo1, Shabs, RossD and 8 others repped this.
  5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    - He survived an attempt to be canceled by a prominent U.S. soccer family, so surviving a knockout round game at home should be easy for him

- His marketing of Shaq Moore at the World Cup helped MLS raise money to afford Messi

- He played in Europe so his football credentials are impeccable

- He’s bald and kind of skinny, and at a great distance might be mistaken for Zidane

Bajoro, RossD, dlokteff and 6 others repped this.
  6. tefftlon

tefftlon Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 11, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the defense has been pretty good almost no matter who starts.

I know saying this after it didn't perform well is a bit ironic, but it has been pretty good 99% of the time.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He makes great Keynote presentations

Three and Three repped this.
  8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we really have to take into account the ranking of opponents to make this assumption.....i dont care about wins over el salvador and martinique.

vs germany and netherlands and even switzerland etc and that level of team...the defense has been putrid.

in past cycles, i personally attended multiple wins the usmnt has had against these countries before.....with worse usmnt players.....this is not a positive of berhalter......he can only get a good defense by sacrificing any chance of the team having an offense....which is not a positive.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gets solid results??? really?

arena, bradley, and klinsmann all had bigger and better top wins than berhalter has had in his 5 years.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a few key players seem to like him: pulisic (and why not? he lets him do whatever he wants, take all the free kicks etc) , turner, adams, mckennie, weah

there are also a lot of players that dont like him....but cant say so.

11. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Crap like this is why I can’t take you or the others who hate berhalter so much seriously.

There is no Confederations Cup anymore, and the implementation of nations league meant much fewer opportunities to play friendlies against bigger European or South American teams. And even if we did have more of those, they’re still friendlies.

Berhalter has done a very solid job against the teams he has played. He won Nations League and beat what was close to Mexico’s a team with our b team to win the gold cup. At the World Cup, we had one of our best performances ever against England, and made the knockouts. The results haven’t been amazing across the board, but there have been obvious high points, and plenty of solid results as well. Saying his results have sucked don’t just make you come off as having an agenda, it makes you seem so dedicated to that agenda that it’s impossible to have a meaningful discussion with you.

Mahtzo1, Shabs, RossD and 6 others repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #12 gogorath, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    It's fairly easy.
    • With talent somewhere in the 15-25th ranked range, he finished in the Top 16 at the World Cup. He also won 3 of the 4 continental competitive competitions he oversaw, including one with a full B team. The only continental competition he lost was his first, with a team with much lower talent.
    • He's a defensively solid tactician, and is far better at tactics than fans want to claim. Most of these fans can't get past a formation in tactics.
    • He helped define and rebuild a culture that was broken after Couva. This culture is one in which the players want to play, and which has helped recruit a number of top flight dual nationals, including Musah, Balogun, Pepi and others.
    • His offensive philosophy aligns with what the broader USSF strategy is.
    • He blends well the above idealism with pragmatism in competitive events
    • He's hardworking and willing to put in time with all levels of the program, not just the senior team
    • He's organized, scouts heavily and provides detailed gameplans in sharp contrast to one of his predecessors
    And all had much lower lows.

Arena was involved in three cycles. He had a quarters, but also a terrible breakdown in 2006 and was part of the debacle in the 2018 cycle. Klinsmann's record is all over the place -- a good 2014; but game to game you never knew what would occur, and he was both coach and TD when the entire program collapsed. Bradley presided over what was probably our best team, but also fell short in a winnable round of 16 and then started to fall apart.

We missed the World Cup in 2018 coming out of CONCACAF. Do you know how hard that is?

SJTillIDie, Mahtzo1, RossD and 3 others repped this.
  13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    So most of the core of the team?

It's interesting that players who have played for the likes of Tuchel (and worked with Klopp), Allegri, Nagelsmann, Galtier, Arteta and so on, really seem to like Berhalter.

You'd think of all of our players, if he was just clearly out of his league versus these world class coaches, they'd have less affinity.

Ah yes, Adam Tash is very close friends with these players. He knows that there's a LOT of them, but they can't say.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 adam tash, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    a 0-0 draw with England is not one of the best rsults ever. USMNT won the group with England in 2010 ffs

what are his best wins? nothing outside of concacf.

arena: beating portugal in the WC and making QF, beating Poland, Japan, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Germany, Argentina, Chile, Germany
    bradley: beating spain, beating switzerland, ecuador, denmark
    klinsmann: beating: ecuador, germany, netherlands, ghana, germany, italy
    steve sampson: beat Brazil in Gold Cup, beat chile and argentina in copa america
    milutinovic: beat pot 1 Colombia in WC, beat England 2-0, beat portugal, beat Uruguay

literally EVERY SINGLE USMNT MANAGER other than Berhalter has beaten top teams.

i guess people havent been follwoing for 30 years like me and are too lazy to use Google???

berhalter literally only has concacaf wins under his belt.....which every other usmnt manager has as well.

when berhalter has had the chance to play good teams....he has been EXPOSED. he is a fraud. he can beat concaCRAP. but the players can also beat CONCACRAP without a managggger as they proved this summer. so.......

the team looks like it has ZERO chance to compete vs anyone good under berhalter....this is actually something new for the program...even though revisionists want to paint it as same ol same old

what I am saying is not crap.

what YOU are saying is crap.

whatee berhalters positives are...they are not getting solid results....he literally hasnt beaten anyone good outside of mexico.....which is irrelevant these days.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so players liking him is the final verdict???

what have any of these players won??

they looked like scared children vs germany and netherlands.

they havent really earned the right to have their opinions on the coach be some kind of gold stamp.

the core of the team liked signing with Leeds....and we saw how that turned out

this generation is talented but havent shown they will have careers as GMs at any point in the future

if all you can say about berhalter's positives is the players - who have yet to beat anyone actually good in 5 years - like him......its far from enough for me. and should be for the rest of you , as well.

16. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I stopped reading after you compared it to 2010. Again, nobody takes you seriously because you let your biases dictate your entire approach.

At that World Cup, England threatened to score much more than we did, even though it wasn’t completely lopsided iirc. In this World Cup, we minimized their attacking chances. And they maintained possession by playing it around the back. Most importantly, this English team is much better than that one. It’s very easy to argue that England was the best team in Qatar, and very unlucky against France. We went completely toe to toe with them, no luck required. There’s absolutely no reason why I should have to explain this to you.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sports teams lose game.

We want the USMNT to schedule more difficult games in these windows, and sometimes we're going to look bad.

I mean, we had Brazil and Argentina scheduled for the September window. Then they had to pull out when CONMEBOL WCQing was rescheduled for that window. That could have been ugly.

So we could have scheduled Oman and Uzbekistan-caliber teams and run off some wins. So what?

Schedule tough games and we'll lose some games.

Ya know...............in September Germany did beat France. I realize they didn't do well at the World Cup, but they do have lots of talent.

Berhalter's best wins have been against Mexico and............Morocco. Those are currently the 12th and 13th ranked nations in the FIFA ranking. And by the way, Iran is sitting there at 21. A team we beat at the World Cup.

Personally I don't think we have the talent of the top 10 teams. So there's that. We're at 11th. Everybody above is clearly better than us, starting at Spain in 10th. A victory over anybody in the top 10 is an upset.

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic: Won Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup with Chelsea. DFB Pokal with Dortmund
    McKennie: Won Coppa Italia with Juve
    Aaronson: Won the Austrian Bundesliga
    Dest: Eredivisie title, and a Copa Del Rey
    Adams: DFB Pokal
    Reyna: DFB Pokal
    Weah: Ligue 1 *3 times, 2 different teams), Scottish Premiership, Scottish Cup
    Ream: EFL Championship, 2 EFL Playoffs

Seems a few of the key players have won a few things.....

So, three core members of the team wanted to, and played in the best league in thew world and that's now a bad thing?

What does players showing any ability to be a GM in the future have to do with their play on the field exactly???

superdave repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I never said that or anything close to that.

But yes, the opinion of Christian Pulisic is vastly more important and more informed than Adam Tash.

Christian Pulisic has quite literally won a Champions League.

Which you repeatedly used in an argument in another thread. Which means you are selectively and intentionally ignoring it here because it doesn't fit your argument.

I literally have a post on here with 7 bullet points. So no, that's not his only positive.

Mahtzo1, Mr Martin and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's note that our 3-0 win against Morocco was their first loss by more than one goal since 2014. And of course they went to the WC semis later the same year.

21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positives? He does genuinely seem to be trying to move past the whole "Reyna Family" episode.... I think.
    He is the first manager to be fired from the Swedish 2nd Division to rise to national team manager of a non-minnow side.... It must have taken something special to do that, right?

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    berhalters best result is a draw vs England...that gave them 1st place in the WC group, basically......ok.

who has berhalter beaten???

arena: beating portugal in the WC and making QF, beating Poland, Japan, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Germany, Argentina, Chile, Germany
    bradley: beating spain, beating switzerland, ecuador, denmark
    klinsmann: beating: ecuador, germany, netherlands, ghana, germany, italy
    steve sampson: beat Brazil in Gold Cup, beat chile and argentina in copa america
    milutinovic: beat pot 1 Colombia in WC, beat England 2-0, beat portugal, beat Uruguay

literally EVERY SINGLE USMNT MANAGER other than Berhalter has beaten top teams.

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what have they won with USMNT?

of course the inner circle "leadership council" guys are going to be happy with the coach.....no?

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they know club soccer pretty well.....but what have they won with USMNT?

the players havent shown they know what it takes to win internationally.

obviously so if they think berhalter is the right guy for that.

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They literally won Nations League and Gold Cup.... International competitions....