Berhalter Out! (Jay)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marius Tresor, Feb 6, 2020.

1. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure Jay B. left for greener pastures, from well-paid non-prof position to better paid for-prof position. Wait until we know where he will land in a few months (or less).

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep. And to be fair to the skeptical, it doesn't mean Cordeiro and company are actually hiring the right people. Earnie's had a lot of success, but his track record is far from exceptional.

Coming from a corporate environment, and Cordeiro coming from a corporate environment. This is textbook, and it's exactly what he said he would do, if people had stopped to listen.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Unlikely to have any real effect. This is the other side of the house.

Cordeiro won; Jay was no longer in the consideration set and he quit. This is how these things go down. No one who has been lined up for a CEO job sticks around when they go from favorite and groomed to sidelined.

RefIADad repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still very surprised some of the usual soccer reporting suspects like Grant Wahl, Jeff Carlisle, Paul Tenorio, etc. haven’t started writing about successors. I get that the general soccer public isn’t as concerned about this hire compared to the NT coach hires, but this hire is probably the most critical USSF hire in modern history. Will USSF swing big and go after the true game-changer, or will they settle (or be forced to settle) for a lesser-quality candidate? I would think the normal suspects would be talking about possible candidates by now.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Agree w/the second paragraph, no sure what youre responding to the in the first (McBride's impact). Basically seems like Cordeiro and friends didn't think whatever favors owed to Flynn if any were worth the issues of nepotism and seemingly everyone seemingly hating Berhalter's guts and viewing him as one of those tyrannical bosses many of us have run into and wondered why they got the position they had in the first place (and Conrad's description of playing with Egg suggests the apple doesn't fall far from the brother apple branch).

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Someone asked if McBride had anything to do with Jay leaving. Just saying that I doubt it.

Lots of people on here like to cast our player pool as not wanting to play for Gregg, but players themselves seem to enjoy it, compliment him without prompting and we've had dual nationals like Dest choose the US. The atmosphere within the team seems pretty strong. So I think you are pretty off base on that final point. He's a pretty calm dude, and everyone says he's incredibly communicative.

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can answer that question pretty quickly-Since Tata Martino was available, that answer is no.

Had Earnie actually cared about hiring a coach who could adapt to the existing talent pool instead of worrying about forcing an archaic system while “speaking ‘Merican”, Tata might have been the USMNT coach now.

Namdynamo, Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, they could have had Juan Carlos Osario too. He's bilingual, knows the American Players in MLS, and abroad...oh, and he knows the Mexican-American players who play in Liga MX too....

RefIADad repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dest has spoken about being identified early, appreciated and his integration in youth national teams as the primary reasons for his commitment. im not implying thats in spite of- or in any way negative towards- berhalter, just that i dont think you can use it specifically to his credit either.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The prior poster was commenting how Jay apparently created an oppressive work environment and then said that due to some comments by Jimmy Conrad, he thinks that Gregg has a similar issue.

I've seen nothing to back that up. And if players like Dest or Jesus Ferreira had walked into a US team with a toxic work environment, I doubt they would have committed.

Berhalter played a role with Dest, and he deserves some part credit, but certainly not the whole nor the majority. But it's pretty clear that the current player set and camps have a pretty strong, positive culture.

USSoccerNova, TCS35, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could someone point me towards the conrad article/blurb/tweet/quotes on this, please and thank you?

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #62 gogorath, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    I just did a search and only found Conrad being complimentary upon hiring and a critical look at the USMNT after the 3-0 Mexico loss, but neither containing anything about Berhalter creating a Jay Berhalter-esque atmosphere.

Perhaps the poster is conflating Gregg with Bradley, about Conrad has been clear about his dislike.

13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    ha. Yep I am. Bring the heat my way. Worst case is people hear a counter balance to the situations.

TimB4Last repped this.
  14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Go back 3 years ago,,,,,,,Can anyone in here honestly say they’ve even heard of Jay Berhalter.
    We scapegoat him because of the 2018 WC failure, Sunil leaves and Jay/Gregg become the face of the program.

I personally like Jay even with his very defensive response to certain key topics. He’s charged with commercializing the product...and regardless of what people think.....he’s done a solid job.

The irony,,, Jay may have helped tip the scales for Gregg. But Greggs performance has cost Jay the CEO role. Definitely not how they planned it.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    From over four years ago...

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...soccer-jay-berhalter-jason-kreis-vieira-nycfc

Over the past year, U.S. Soccer’s chief commercial director Jay Berhalter—the brother of Columbus Crew SC coach Gregg Berhalter—has started taking over a lot of the day-to-day technical director duties. Berhalter even called an important meeting in Chicago in August that did not include Klinsmann.

People on the inside have different views about it. One said Berhalter is a smart guy who gets things done. Another said if you’re going to give Klinsmann the technical director job you should let him do it without interference. Communication between Berhalter and Klinsmann is described as “not good.” One insider used the term “power struggle.”

16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's quite that simple. Too much of Jay's success was tied to organizing friendlies with El Tri and South American teams where he knew that the US Soccer fan base was an afterthought. He put the interests of our biggest rival in front of our own commercially.

Whether it's right or wrong, the perception that commercial interests influenced decisions about who played for the MNT (read - playing MLS players to promote MLS over European players) was not a positive mark.

I haven't even started talking about a coaching "search" than can only be perceived as stacking the deck to hire his brother. I know he can spin it any way he wants, but it's pretty hard to think logically and come to any other conclusion that the clear objective was to hire Gregg Berhalter. The "must speak English" claim, the lack of interviews, the 13- month wait to hire a coach - all of that pretty clearly points to one eventual outcome.

Add all of that with the clear evidence of a toxic work environment at Soccer House, and you have enough to make a change. Personally, I think Gregg is on the other end of the spectrum from his brother. I think Gregg seems like a good guy, and the players do seem to want to play for him. My only issue is that (along with Earnie) he wants to play an outdated system with a talent pool far better suited to play a different style.

The commercial side of US Soccer is very important. No one is denying that. But the commercial side can't depend on your biggest rival playing friendlies in the US while you put the interests of your own national team second.

Namdynamo, QuakeAttack and DHC1 repped this.
  17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are now four full days since the Jay Berhalter announcement, and I still have not seen a single article from the normal content providers (Carlisle at ESPN, Wahl at SI, Tenorio and company at The Athletic) about potential successors to Jay Berhalter.

This is the biggest hire in US Soccer's history, and not a single article discussing candidates, what the ideal candidate looks like, etc.

We need the people who cover this sport to start discussing this hire to hold US Soccer accountable for making the right choice. It's pretty sad when some random message board person (and that's exactly what I am) has written more about this in the last 4-5 days than the people who are making their livings from doing this kind of work.

TimB4Last repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    a successor to Jay or new president?

19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 RefIADad, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    A new CEO. I am operating under the assumption that Jay was de facto CEO the last few years, so I guess you could say both. However, the biggest hire is the CEO hire. I know that Jay was the commercial director, but let's be honest - he was basically the CEO while Flynn was facing his health struggles. To be quite honest, I never understood exactly what Dan Flynn did in his role.

DHC1 repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Getting closer to that NBA exec...

From Jeff Carlisle:

RefIADad repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Prior to joining EY, he served as Executive Vice President, League Finance & Global Strategy at the National Basketball Association (NBA), where he led the League Finance department as well as the Global Strategy department.

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 RefIADad, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    One of my brother's best friends is the VP of Finance for the Spurs and spent time working in the NBA's league office. I'll have to ask my brother if his friend has worked with Uro in the past and what he thinks of him. I have to think their paths crossed on a pretty regular basis in the past.

gogorath repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Bringing on the guy responsible for Global Strategy for a league that has rocketed up in international interest recently isn't a bad idea, provided Uro was there fairly recently.

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His bio on NBA.com was dated August 2015, so I don't think he's been gone too long from the NBA.

gogorath repped this.
  25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had a shilling for every shill for General Egg you dish out, Gogorath, I would be able to party like it's 1889.

btlove repped this.