Benny Feilhaber news (and, no doubt, off-topic discussion) thread.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 15, 2005.

1. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    If he impresses, the first team is just a hop-skip-and-a-jump away. He seems game for this which is the important part.

2. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Are you insane? He couldn't carry [insert player's name here] jock. Clearly [insert European reserve player's name here] is ahead of him on the depth chart and should be capped first.

BTW, what will he pay in taxes?

:D

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    hamburg is a nice city, i enjoyed living in the st. pauli area for several months

4. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    This is the second or third American to suit up for HSV in the last decade. I think Ian Joy was a reserve player and Peter Woodring actually started in a few first team games, any others?

5. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
  6. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    Quick question for you guys..... I havent been reading all teh Benny Feilhaber boards cause theres just so much time i ahve to read all of it, but were you guys being sarcastic or just joking around when saying Beilhaber is a lock for WC2006. Guy was playing for a college team a couple of months ago and is now going to play for a reserve team. I just dont see him being capped for another couple of years. With donovan it was different because he played in germany but came to MLS to show Arena what he can do.

7. dominate

dominate New Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Austin, TX
    definitely sarcastic. No way he gets on the 2006 roster.

8. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    there was also michael mason, who played for hsv from '94 to '97, and paul cagliuri (88-91, so not quite in your timeframe). there might be more, but that's all i can think of right now.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sarcastic that he is a lock ... Bruce probably won't even bring him to camp.

Of course, he should bring him into the winter camp while the German leagues are on a break.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Paul's listed with HSV in 1987-88, as a defender, not credited with any appearances.

The current Hamburg GM Dieter Beiersdorfer was also defender on the same squad. (30 appearances, 3 goals)

11. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Kudos to greg and yanks for the latest scoop (though I would have liked to know who the other clubs were...and a few more details).

And what's the deal with his Austrian passport? It is mentioned as if it were a formality. Would be nice were that so.

And what's the word, if any, on what people in or around the club think about Benny's chances of seeing first-team time? Anyone hazarding any predictions?

12. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    the other clubs were allegedly psv eindhoven, real mallorca and borussia monchengladbach.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I havent read the thread fully, but is it official? Is he already going to Hamburg? I ask because by you bringing up the german winter break, its like its official, or you know for sure he will sign for them.

14. watjusey?

watjusey? New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    so-cal
    Congratulations to Benny Feilhaber on his USMNT caps against Ecuador and Guatamala!!! Well deserved!!! Hopefully you'll get the nod to play in more games!

15. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    must say best passer on the field but my real question is this....

does anyone have the january issue of soccer america with benny feilhaber on the cover well actually i think bradley the big picture but feilhaber was on their as well. if you have it do you mind scaning it and sending me a link of it or something? please make it decent sized if you can, thanks. if you need help making a link
    pm me

ill walk you through it

16. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    This is wishful thinking, but what do you guys think of feilhaber coming to mls sense he hasnt made it at hamburg? i think it would be great for the fans to be able to see him on a consistant basis and good for his carear he could use mls to spring board his carear like cory gibbs did, lets just hope he doesnt catch the injury bug like gibbs!

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anythings possible right now. could happen, he's a good player. My preference would be for Benny to prove himself in the BL2 and get a big club promoted and being the heart of that team. Kaiserslautern, Cologne, Borrisua Moenchengladbach (theyre pretty much down), or even 1860 would be a good option IMO.

Best case scenario he sticks it with an up and coming Bundesliga side like Nurenburg or Wolfsburg, thatd be a dream scenario for him.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Way too soon to pack it in, although spending another season (his third) with HSVII would be a disaster.

If he can't get a guarantee of regular playing time with the first team next season then hopefully he can work out a loan to a more modest team in the Bundesliga 1st division.