Benny Feilhaber news (and, no doubt, off-topic discussion) thread.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    ah ok, i got it now - thanks. :)

2. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    to hell with the NCAA, he is moving to the DFL and UEFA - two classy organizations. :D

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Under what kind of violation....

He couldn't let anyone pay for his visit or buy him lunch, but I would think his dad could read a contract proposal. But, I don't know the rules.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think that is the case. However, if Benny toured the European clubs on their money or an agents money, then he's pro bound with only room for an appeal.

I had heard that one of the big US Agents is in the loop shopping him around.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I found this article mentioning a few highlights from Feilhaber in some of the Maccabiah games.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/stories/071905aae.html

6. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Feilhaber and his family are visiting Hamburg over the weekend in order to finalize contract negotiations. He would have to acquire Austrian citizenship though, otherwise he would not be allowed to play for HSV due to a restriction of Non-EU-foreigners.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    link?

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it looks like Benny will change his citizenship..if he decide for Hamburg...
    hm...it means he will be not able to play for US team later....
    of course if benny accept the other citizenship

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that's not true - he will probably get an austrian passport, not citizenship - besides, a person can have duel citizenships - he will not end up on another national team either way

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thank you for explain me that.....in some countries dual citizenship is not
    allowed..but i think in the USA it is possible...so everything is clear now
    thank you.....this is good news....since benny can support US team and
    if he agree with HSW then BL as well .....
    thank you again
    bltleo

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  12. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    ok, i translated that incorrectly. he would have to acquire Austrian nationality.

btw, there is no online link to the above information. it was published today in german newspaper Bild.

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    o.k I will have a look at BILD...thanks....bltleo

14. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    you would have to look into the regional edition of Hamburg, of course. :)

15. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    not the most serious of sources, but still:

http://kicktalk.de/fussball/boerse/archiv/2005/br0722.php

Hamburger SV has seemingly displaced illustrious international competition in the race for the signature of 20-year-old Benny Feilhaber. The well versed player was born in Rio de Janeiro and is about to sign for an initial three years. There will be no transfer sum.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Their other items (on Baros, Saha, et al.) are culled from the widely published sources. I wonder where their Benny info comes from.

There's nothing on Kicker's site nor on Hamburg's own.

The team will unveil its new signings this coming Sunday, the 24th.

17. Hanning

Hanning New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    it's over: http://www.hsv.de/index.php?id=13304

Feilhaber had no trouble with the medical

HSV has won the race for talent Benny Feilhaber. The 20-year-old US-boy signed a contract until 2008 on Friday (22.07.05) and is supposed to recommend himself for the first team through dedicated games in the Regionalliga. For Feilhaber, who up until now played for the LA college team, Hamburg is the first station as a professional. hsv.de talked to the youngster about his decision for HSV, his first impressions of Hamburg and his expectations for the next weeks.

hsv.de: Mr Feilhaber, you had multiple offers from European clubs following your strong appearances during the U20-WC. What was decisive for you move to Hamburg?

Feilhaber: Yes, it's true i had multiple offers, among them several Bundesliga clubs, but I opted for Hamburg. I have a good feeling - the atmosphere and spirit in the club felt just right. There are situations where you think it'll just work out for you. And that was the case here. The people I talked to were very open-minded and helpful. They made it easy for me to make the right decision.

There were also clubs from Spain that expressed interest in you. What's the significance of the Bundesliga?

Feilhaber: The best leagues of the world are in Europe. Whether it's Spain, Italy, England or Germany - there are top clubs with top players everywhere. Europe is top-notch, globally. I'm glad I got the chance to give it a try.

Until now, you played for LA College, with which you won the college championship three times. How would you rate this league?

Feilhaber: Apart from me, there were only three more players at the U20-WC. All of them received offers after the tournament. We only made it to the last sixteen, but were able to convince some people of our qualities. I think that says a lot about our league.

How about your passport? As a US citizen, you would be the fifth Non-EU player in the squad...

Feilhaber: ...and couldn't play as such. My grandpa is Austrian, though. So it should work out alright.

You are supposed to be playing for the second team, initially.

Feilhaber: That's right. I'll have to grow accustomed to the conditions here first. In six months, we'll have to see. I hope to be able to be an option for the first team, perhaps spend a few games on the bench, get a couple of minutes in the Bundesliga.

Tomorrow you'll watch the IT-Cup game in the AOL-Arena. Which players do you know?

Feilhaber: I didn't meet anyone personally. Of course I've heard some names, but I've only had contact with the club officials till now.

You are currently being accompanied by your parents. In the next weeks, however, you will have to deal with the chapter Europe on your own, right?

Feilhaber: My dad will fly back on sunday, my mom is going to stay with me for a week, in order to help me with finding a place and some other things. After that, I will have to learn the language asap, so I can communicate with people. The other things will unfold themselves then.

Sounds easy.

Feilhaber: Of course it's a big step for me. The first time in a foreign country, far away from my usual environment, my friends and family. But I'm looking forward to the adventure that is Europe. Back home, they will follow my career closely. I wanna show them!

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Glad to see it's settled and I'm looking forward to following his progress.

19. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was easy to read news, since they were in german language:)
    GREAT JOB BENNY.
    Great news.
    I promisse american fans to follow a carrer of Benny
    and inform you on the board. I would enjoy this "job".
    So I will have my eye on Benny.

Bltleo

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Moderator: You are supposed to be playing for the second team, initially.

Feilhaber: That's right. I'll have to grow accustomed to the conditions here first. In six months, we'll have to see. I hope to be able to be an option for the first team, perhaps spend a few games on the bench, get a couple of minutes in the Bundesliga.
    ------------------------------------------------

Will the posters who argued/insulted me for suggesting this was the strongest possibility please show their face, and admit they were wrong.

(I love how when you are right, you never hear from them....)

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In respect for an old BigSoccer tradition:

Bruce has to call him up for the full USMNT right away. Benny is a lock for WC06.

;)

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    do you think that Benny will sit just on the bench and play few minutes of a games in BL? Do you think that it will be the same like with Landon?
    Well Benny is Benny. Landon is Landon. Hamburg is Hamburg.
    Dont´see the things so negative. Bundesliga is on very high level.
    It is a great chance for Benny. And as a "Austrian" he will speak german.

I hope I have not insulted you:)
    Bltleo

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Man, that fro is off the charts!

I gotta go dig up an ol' pic of Reyna now (with the high, hightop) :)

I wonder if the Burgers are going to put Benny on a Myoplex/heavy German sausage diet to get a little poundage on him...

24. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Benny still can play for USMNT. I´m agree with you on Benny.
    He will be a lock for WC06. It is your new star! I´m happy
    Hamburg get him as well.

bltleo

25. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Hamburg is great and nice city.