Benfica vs. Liverpool for the CL

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Nelso, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
    We're looking forward to the huge challenge ahead. Rest assured we won't be taking you guys lightly either. How could we, when you guys are the current title holders. I truly hope both teams are at full strength, healthy as can be when they meet. :D

2. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    You're right. I look at Liverpool as an Italian team. Very strong on defence. In four straight CL matches against Chelsea they have draw 0-0 three times and defeated them 1-0 on a strange goal. Benfica is going to have to do a lot to be able to break down that defense and it's not going to be easy.

Let's not forget what their coach, Benetiz, has done. He took Valencia to a UEFA Cup title and the very next year took an unheralded Liverpool to Champions League glory. And then he one upped Mourinho with a UEFA Supercup.

3. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I'm sure Benfica can now ask for 4 bajillion euros if Liverpool wants Simao that badly.

4. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Round of 16 - Schedule

First Leg - February 21 - Benfica - Liverpool
    Second Leg - March 8 - Liverpool - Benfica

First Leg - February 22 - Chelsea - Barcelona
    Second Leg - March 7 - Barcelona - Chelsea

You got your wish.

5. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Rafa happy to battle Benfica

"I'm pleased to have avoided certain teams but we will face a very tough match against Benfica. They are a very good team and they proved just what they can do by knocking Manchester United out of the competition.

"They are strong at home and they will have a good atmosphere behind them in the first leg but we know they will be coming back to Anfield for the return leg and everyone in Europe knows what our fans are like on a European night at home.

"We had some very special games in Europe at Anfield last season and I know the fans will play a huge role when we take on Benfica.

"They are one of the most famous sides in Europe and they've won the European Cup twice so we will treat them with the respect they deserve but we will approach the game with confidence in our own ability."

I don't think Benfica can expect them to be like Man United who were spouting off things like, "we will win in Lisbon" and "we're confident we're going through in Europe," from Liverpool.

6. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    So what would you (and Benfiquistas in general) rather have?

Simão to help out against Liverpool?
    or
    4 "bajillion" euros to go shopping?

7. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
    I can't help thinking that if SLB manage to go through to the next stage they'll be in great position. Think of how many great teams will have fallen by then

8. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Liverpool is pretty much based around Gerrard alone,Morientes is good yes but i dont think the EPL has suit him to to well.Cisse hasnt done anything in the EPL,Luis Garcia is a threat,Xabi Alonso is good, their team isnt much better than ours.the only reason why they are considered better is that they have"world class players"and they won the CL....when they shouldnt have

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm very happy with the draw, was my first pick, I think we can match very well with any team from the Premiers, tickets to go on sale on Monday

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=691630&idCanal=11

15 euros to 50 euros for club members
    25 to 75 euros from nom members

same price like the MU games

forca Benfica

10. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Interesting draw for Benfica. Should be two great games, hopefully with Benfica winning both of them (or atleast managing to advance to the next round). Benfica and Liverpool are both historic European clubs with great fan bases, so this should be fun!

Forca Benfica!!!

11. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Benfica can win. Never deny it. Liverpool is good, but we are good too, and have the benefit of being underrated.

We have talent, but we also have a great chemistry and great team work. If we take advantage of all our oportunities and play some great defense as well, we will win against Liverpool.

12. DiaboVermelho86

DiaboVermelho86 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    We just have to face them with the same mentality we faced Man U. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They're the defending champs so the pressure is on them to win, we gotta work that to our advantage. I think both teams are looking strong defensively at the moment and it might be a low scoring match up, but who knows, we have over 2 months to go and alot can change from now until then.

13. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Cool! :cool:

14. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Very Cool

Should be a great bunch of games

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  19. corvo

corvo New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    yeah benfica gonna be crush ,hihi,but the spectators gonna be happy to see the title holders, a victory for benfica its a dream result!this liverpool is awesome and just was rob in japan! :confused:

20. bigb75

bigb75 New Member

May 20, 2005
    Fall River, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YEAH,YEAH, so was ManU(Awesome) and now they are home.....so let's talk when it's settled. :cool:

21. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Tickets were soldout in 10 hours after going on sale.

Benfica v Liverpool tickets sell out fast

LISBON, Dec 20 (Reuters) - Tickets for Benfica's Champions League match at home to title holders Liverpool next year sold out within 10 hours of going on sale, a spokesman for the Lisbon club said on Tuesday.

Benfica allocated Liverpool fans 3,200 tickets in the 65,000-capacity Luz stadium for the first knockout round, first leg match on Feb. 21, 2006, the club said.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  23. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
  24. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005