Benfica Champions League Group

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Carepinho_7, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Copanhagen won't be easy for Benfica especially since they are going to Denmark for Matchday One. It's a road match against an unkown opponent. That is no walkover. I'm hoping that Benfica is in good form and doesn't take this opponent lightly.

But, it is important that Benfica take three points from this match if they are to advance out of the Group Stage. A draw would not be the end of the world but a victory would be much sweeter.

2. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Romance in the air in Group F

José Veiga, Benfica director
    We beat Manchester United last season and Celtic are a very difficult team as everybody knows, especially when they play at home. Also København have just eliminated Ajax so there aren't any easy matches but we'll face these ties thinking positively and hoping to reach the next round.

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No, that is not it... Ther are several Danish and swedish NT regulars in the FCK team, but then it's hardly worth mentioning their names since most of you ppl obviously dont know the names of any Scandinavian NT players unless they play for a top club in Spain or Italy..

Comparing Gudjohnsen with Gronkjaer makes no sense at all, since they dont play the same position, I'm sure Gudjohnsen is a much better striker than Gronkjaer would ever be, but then Gronkjaer is surely also several levels better as a left winger in compare with Gudjohnsen. It's also a bit sad to see that no one here even recognize the name of the Swedish NT Captain (Linderoth) :rolleyes: ..

4. Glasgow_Celtic_Fan

Glasgow_Celtic_Fan New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Hello fans of Benfica.

As you can tell from the name I am a fan of Celtic Football Club.

I too am lookig foward to the games between our two great clubs.

I would love it if Benfica and Celtic finnished 1st and 2nd in this group as I don't care much for Manure.

I fear unfortunately this will not happen and it will be a scrap between Benfica sn Celtic for 2nd place. Although none of us should right off Copenhagen as they are not a bad team and done very well to eliminate Ajax.

I come to this forum seeking your help also. I am travelling to Praia da Rocha
    on a family holiday which coincides with the game in Lisbon. I had already booked the holiday before the draw. Unfortunately when I renewed my season book for Celtic this year I never opted for any European away games as I wasn't sure I could afford to travel.

The fact that I am going to be in Portugal with my family around this time I would love to attend the game. There is obviously a great connection with Celtic and Lisbon after we won the European Cup in that great city back in 1967.

It is very unlikely I will now get tickets for the Celtic End for this game so I am appealing to anyone on here who may be able to help me get match tickets for the Benfica end if that is possible???

I am travelling with my wife, mother, and my young son of 12 who has never seen Celtic play away in Europe before so ideally I need 4 tickets for the match.

If anyone can help me or offer any suggestions then I would be most greatful. You can e-mail me at sicrw@hotmail.com

Many thanks

Gary Cahill
    Glasgow

BEST OF LUCK BENFICA AGAINST MAN YOO

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Still bitter that you were tanked by a team of youth players, yet again? I could refer to your team or ground by another name but we all know how immature that kind of insult is. It's below most people, but obviously not Celtic fans. I do have a question though. Are you a plastic paddy or are you one of those very rare breed, a Celtic fan actually born in the 'green' side of Glasgow? I would think twice about this ticket request lads. We all know how Celtic fans like to behave when playing away. Best fans? All biased talk as usual. They are thugs, one and all. Granted they aren't quite at the same level as Liverpool fans yet but they do try. Just remember to clear your jail cells before they arrive. :rolleyes:

6. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not true I recognize Kim Kallstorm, and he plays for a ************ team in France.

7. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    I don't want to flamme this discussion because I don't know the details of this rivalry and how scottish fans behave in the UK.
    But myself and my friends share the impression that the scottish fans are more friendly and less agressive than the english ones. At least I base that in the times that Celtic and Rangers came here...I can't say the same about the english in Euro-2004 and both times MU played against FC Porto and Boavista. Sure it's only a minority, but that's what sets the difference.

8. Glasgow_Celtic_Fan

Glasgow_Celtic_Fan New Member

Aug 26, 2006

spot on Daniel. Celtic fans travel the world over in great numbers and are welcomed every where we go. We have great allegiances with many the clubs who have faced us in Europe in recentyears including Villareal, Borrussia Dortmund, FC St Pauli to name but a few.

We have received awards from UEFA and where officially recognised as the best support in the world after out exploits in Seville when we played FC Porto.

We have never been brought gefore UEFA for singing sectarian bloodthirsty songs or for attacking the official club bus of our opposition.

We have never been banned from playing in any country we have played in.

Despite the fact that when we travelled to Manchester for Roy Keanes testimonial there where over 20,000 of us we never caused any trouble however Rangers match in Greater Manchester was called off agaisnt Bolton as they werent welcome by the police.

You ask anyone who has had the pleasure having Celtic visit there country how friendly and approachable our fans are.

9. Alchemy

Alchemy New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    What an exciting group, I can't wait to see Celtic and Man United clash.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In the last few months there has been fighting in Manchester and London, fans spitting on the Rangers manager, your usual IRA chanting and then the normal level of trouble you cause on match days. Celtic fans are so wonderful. Don't listen to any of Gary's pathetic and biased drivel. Celtic fans are a disgrace and we all know it. Hell, even their keeper has just received a formal police caution for insighting rival fans!

Daniel_Alves, Scottish fans have a great reputation abroad but Old Firm fans are the exception. Luckily most of them support either Ireland or England, so you don't get their idiots infecting the Tartan Army. :)

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    wait, If they are scots then why would they support england or ireland??

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    They seem to think that Celtic are an Irish club and Rangers are an English club. Quite bizarre but that's what you get when clubs actively promote and are funded by religious bigotry. One look at their fans is proof of that. In fairness, there are also ship loads that come over from Ireland (and N. Ireland) for games. Of course, there are separate ships for each set of fans as the police and shipping company got tired of the constant trouble when both sets of fans were mixed.

13. 2DRAGAO4

2DRAGAO4 Red Card

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto, Porto
    1.Manchester Utd.
    2.Benfica
    3.Celtic
    4.Copenhagen

14. THE FAMOUS CELTIC FC

Aug 25, 2006
    Wishaw
    you're having a laugh mate,under estimate Celtic at your pearl.
    Celtic will progress to the last 16 along with Man u, Benfica are not a bad side and i hope they do well in the Uefa cup if they can finish above Copenhagan in the group, they might not though ! " Hail Hail the Celts are here "

15. THE FAMOUS CELTIC FC

Aug 25, 2006
    Wishaw
    You obviously have no idea what your talking about,the Celtic fans are the best in the world {FACT}.The Rangers fans though do let Scotland down as they are racist,bigoted scum and many are members of the BNP,National front etc.Hoops fans travel the world without causing trouble and are welcomed everwhere they go.

16. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

you really are a bitter little tadge.

17. THE FAMOUS CELTIC FC

Aug 25, 2006
    Wishaw
    Celtic fans are proud of there Irish heritage,they were founded by brother Walfrid,an Irish monk to raise funds to feed the Irish who had arrived in Glasgow as a result of the potatoe famine in Ireland.They were not welcomed by the Scots and were banned from applying for jobs,banned from practicing there faith ( catholisism) and were randomly attacked and even murdered.The Celtic fans of today are either Irish themselves or decendents of the nineteenth century Irish immigrants thus making them Scots/Irish.To this day in Scotland catholics are discriminated against by the protestant majority.To this day people are being attacked for wearing the green and white of Celtic and quite recently a young boy was murdered on his way home from a match for being "a fenian".So don't tell me that i am a bigot mate, i love Celtic,i am proud of my roots,i am even angry at the discrimination my people have and are suffering but a bigot i am not.

"HAIL HAIL THE CELTS ARE HERE"

18. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was funny. Aren't Celtic the team that couldn't even beat a forward-less Hearts team? :rolleyes:

Celtic will win the Champions League, quite obviously, they'll finish first in the group after thrashing everybody and will then easily win it all.

Over-rating Celtic, you are.

19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Celtic are just a business organization. You guys are wasting yourtime with the whole religious crap. :D

20. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany
    as far as i'm informed and have seen, celtic fans, in fact, are great supporters. they make noise, they cheer their team and are fair. the famous thing is that they show their pride and support the whole time, inside and outside the stadium.
    i would love to watch the "old firm" one time in my life...

21. Alchemy

Alchemy New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    If my memory serves correctly, Celtic played a preseason against Everton and lost. Everton being a less than average EPL side...

I guess you can look forward to 3rd place.

22. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Benfica lost to FC Sion in the preseaon, does that mean that Sion is better then Benfica?

Can't judge teams just from a friendly game loss.

23. kronic160

kronic160 Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Mars
    why is everyone placing manu at top? Do we all forget that they finished dead last and couldn't even beat villa and lille or qualify for uefa cup. Benfica could easily win this division as long as everyone stays healthy for the games. The back four are strong and the middle is threating with costa, kastaronis and simao, Gomes and miccoli up front and you have a better team than last year.

24. Alchemy

Alchemy New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    True...in my honesty though, I can't compare the quality of the teams in the EPL with the teams in the "Old Firm". Don't get me wrong I think Celtic are a fantastic team, but that speaks alot for the EPL.

25. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Celtic would be a top 10 maybe even able to crack the top 5 team in the EPL as they stand right now. Looks at the players they got this year. I don't think any team from the group will beat them in Glasgow, maybe a tie but that's it. However, they aren't a very good side away.