Bendtner the Diva???

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by aphex, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Erm, he was used on the left like twice. Every time he has played for the last 2 years he has been up front. He may drift but that doesn't detract from the fact he is being played up front.

Imagine if after Henry left, instead of asking RvP to head the attack Wenger played some nobody who had never played in the top division of any league, who had a 1 in 4 strike rate in a lower league and someone who has next to no experience in comparison with the other strikers at the club?

Someone who has scored goals in the Premiership, brings other players into the game and (key one) has experience > Random who played in a lower league, is extremely talented but has a big ego which is preventing him seeing the facts.

Key point - is going to be. He isn't now, so he can't demand to be played. Like you said as well if he stays here he will be massive, if he goes elsewhere who knows what will happen, perhaps he'll enjoy his season starting in July and the InterTwoBob Cup at Blackburn, just to prove Wenger wrong :rolleyes:

If he knows what's good for him he'll shut up, bide his time and play hard in training to show he is good enough to deserve to start. This bitching to the press will get him nowhere.

2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
  3. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was talking with some folks about this and they said they thought the quote was poorly translated from Norwegian (go figure). They said the word he used wasn't so much "demand" but "ask."

I don't have any personal knowledge on this subject, just passing it along. I don't think we should rush to judge Bendtner too harshly.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    skizz i diddnt say hes a definite starter, i would like to see him and ade rotate as the big man role

id prrefer dudu and vp up front with the way this team plays

when moulded, it would be a very dynamic duo

5. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Well yeah, that's fair enough, he's not going to get any experience otherwise. I just think it's a bit silly for someone so young and inexperienced, in what is realistically his first season at this team in terms of being considered for Prem matches, to be demanding to play. He needs to hold it down a lil'.

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What do you want your strikers to say: I'm completely happy to ride the pine and pick splinters out of my butt?

He wants to play, he feels he is good enough to contribute, and (since Wenger has shown his disdain of the Carling Cup) he wants to play in the games that count. I don't spend a lot of time reading these kinds of stories because the only real stories are made on the weekends, but if we are expecting big things from him, I'm glad he's expecting big things from himself. More power to him.

7. Skizz

Skizz Guest

The difference Val, is that he's expecting to come in and get in ahead of established regulars, when he's got no reason to expect this. Saying he should get a chance is one thing, making out he has some divine right to start and is "horrified" that he hasn't been named in the squad (the game before he didn't even get off the bench anyway), is less forgiveable.

8. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    RVP is established then who? I don't accept that Adebayor is an automatic selection so I can see why Bendtner doesn't either. IMO the best argument for Ade is that we've already given him enough "get acclimated" games, so we might as well harvest the benefits. I guess I'm with Val on this.

9. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Established doesn't mean "first choice". Established means someone who has played on a regular basis for the first team and is more than in the mix to start most games. Would you say this does not describe Ade at the moment?

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger has seen both of them play more than anyone, and he's been picking Adebayor. Maybe Bendtner knows better, but he's not the manager, his job is to perform when called upon, not pick the team. If he wants to play he should focus on training and show there why he deserves to start.

11. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the simpler statement just that Bendtner is the worst of our four strikers, thus why he is last in the depth chart, thus why he is behind Adebayor and Eduardo?

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He simply hasn't played enough to make that call. He needs to prove himself in some cup games and wait for someone to get injured or suspended. If he can't or won't do that, he'll be gone by next fall.

13. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I assume that everyone on here has seen all four of these guys play at least a few times at some competitive level - be it last year in the Championship with Bendtner, in the Euro or UEFA games for Eduardo, and then obviously the Arsenal matches for Adebayor and RVP (and Theo too, I guess)... I can't see where anyone thinks Bendtner has accomplished enough to warrant more time than Carling Cup matches. I know that's not what you're saying (I started writing my first post before yours was posted, so it was not a reply)... I just don't see what he has done to make people think he deserves more than cup games.

As to him being gone next fall... Wouldn't bother me any obviously. When it comes to guys who are iffy about whether they want to be here or not, I'm all in favor of shipping them off. I'm also in favor of reducing the group we have down a bit and bringing in someone else to challenge - not to mention Vela taking the spot of "cup forward/forward in training" that I'd designate to Bendtner this year.

14. mpeabody

mpeabody New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    Always the voice of reason Anti.

It looks from the clips that Da Silva is left-footed. I wonder if two left-footed strikers in RvP and Dudu would work together.

15. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yes, as far as that goes. I guess I think established means a little more than what you say it does, ie, "Established means someone who has played on a regular basis..." _and_ by virtue of those performances has justified his place on the team. And not that score I don't accept that Adebayor is established at Arsenal.

As long as Bendtner doesn't publicly slag on a teammate (and so far he hasn't), and it doesn't seem to negatively affect his play, I can forgive a little bit of mouthiness. In fact it's easier to forgive Bendtner, a marginal squad player, than an established first choice because a veteran has greater responsibility for the cohesion of the team. Bendtner is clearly just looking for the chance to play.

16. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems like this might be getting blown out of proportion.

Don;t you want your players to be hungry to play and isn't it very possible Bendtner was mis-quoted or his words mis-interpreted?

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but whenever I hear a player moaning about playing time in the press, my thoughts turn back to Pennant and Bentley.

18. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bendter, for me, is far far from reaching a level of Pennant or Bentley. Pennant is a f*cken ******** who has a rap sheet to go along with his big mouth. Bentley wasnt as bad but still far worse then Bendtner. Hes a little thug now too who plays for who other then Blackburn.

Only other thing i have to say too about Bendtner is he is 19. Really thinking back i probably would have said the same thing at 19. Blood rushes to the head are really common at that age. So i can pretty much forgive him completely for this.

19. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    The kid has talent and personally i want to see him play. He has every right to complain about game time. He's not asking to start every match, it's just a matter of playing for his club, to show what he brings to the table and what he's capable of.

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he does. And if he continues to do so, Wenger has every right to ship him off to Moscow. He and Quincy can slap high fives and talk about how awesome they were for Arsenal Reserves.

21. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its great that he wants to play for the club and it pisses him off when he's not called in. But he hinders the team and makes himself look bad when he say's shit like he "demands" to know why he isn't playing. He needs to put his money where his mouth is and perform in practice and cc games instead of crying about it to the press.

22. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Seriously, LOL. :D

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you liked that, Skizz.;)

BTW, i just discovered that Quincy is now on loan at Celta Vigo in the Spanish second division. Kind of ironic, innit?

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    having seen bendy in the flesh and just take control of a game completely at the age of 18 i stand by my position that he will be a beast

25. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I thought Quincy was a good player, but like I said and like Wenger said, if they think they can do better somewhere else then go for it. His career is clearly blossoming.

Oh, forgot - [/sarcasm]