Ben Olsen vs. Bobby Convey

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Philadelphia City, Apr 11, 2009.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    No, he's not Dennis Bergkamp, but he's one of DCU's most important players in ways that might not show on the scoreboard. The only other players in his company, IMO, are Marco Etcheverry and Jaime Moreno.

Pope, Nelsen and Diaz Arce would be next up for admittance if we were to widen the circle just a bit.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Olsen has excelled in college (collegiate player of the year), MLS (Rookie of the year and MLS Cup MVP), England, and as a national team member in both the Olympics and World Cup.

I happen to like Bobby Convey and admire what he accomplished at Reading. But that is pretty much all he has accomplished.

So if your sole criteria for success is playing in England, well, your reasoning is shit.

3. Philadelphia City

Philadelphia City New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excelled in england? he made 18 appearances in a loan deal. and if Olsen excelled for the national team, than so has Convey. because he has more caps. if my reasoning is shit, then so is yours.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Which player changed the momentum of the game when he entered during the World Cup?

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Forrest fans still love him.

And right now, they're both pretty much done with the USNT.

Actually, it's pretty tough to compare the two players because they're totally different. Ben's all character and grit. Bobby's fancy little moves.

But at least Bobby's actually from the Philadelphia area.

6. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Have you actually watched these players play? It sure doesn't sound that way.

7. ludash45

ludash45 New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    What- are we trading Boyzz for Bergkamp now?

Until we gets our own version of Beckham, be it Bergkamp or Ballack or even a resurrected zombie George Best, I'm pretty certain we'll continue holding Ben in high regard.

8. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pffft. The only thing that'd make me give Ben less regard than any of those guys is if, in a fit of madness, he donned a RBNY jersey...

And even that I'd put it down to delusional effects of painkillers, with the team obviously trying to convince him he was still with United.

9. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey has 3 more caps than Olsen. And 5 less goals. So again, your reasoning is shit.

Let me give you a little advice, since you seem to want to be an aspiring soccer "journalist."

Grow a thick skin and don't go out and invite criticism - you're going to get plenty anyway. Even if your writing and analysis was top-shelf (which it's not), you'd be better off (and at least appear more professional in your craft) by doing so.

And don't delete comments that people post to whatever "paper" it is that you are writing for. That's just lame.

Instead, go out and do some real research, and then state an airtight case for your argument. But most importantly, don't come on BigSoccer and try to prove what a soccer genius you are.

That's just stupid.

10. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - although I think Olsen would have the edge for a call-up over Convey at this point.

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think only fantasy leagues and Football Manager are used for analysis at this point. Watching actual games is like, last century stuff.

I have glimpsed said crystal ball and I can tell you that Quaranta will eclipse Moreno's scoring stats somewhere in the 2016 season.

Olsen was washed up when I bought the game.

Silly thread.

12. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never would have put Ben and Dennis in the same category but since you did...you know come to think of it he does have something in common with Bergkamp...they are both a hell of a lot better than Bobby Convey.

Wow thanks, you just let me compare Olsen as comparable to Bergkamp in a completely legitimate way.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm pretty sure it's just your reasoning that's shit.