Ben Olsen on DC101 Elliott in the AM

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Detective40oz, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ben was on this morning around 8:40, unfortunately I could only catch a part of the interview. You have to give it to Elliott though, he does his research for hsi interviews. He knew the coach's name, he knew LA plays at the Home Depot Center and that's where MLS Cup will be. Knew we were playing New England this weekend and that they haven't scored many goals in the playoffs. It's refreshing to have an interview that at least knows a little bit about the team or person he is interviewing.

Recap:
    -Peter Nowak is superstitious with how he has been running practices.
    -Ben doesn't party as much as he used to.
    -The locker room is really loose and Nowak lets the guys have fun.
    -Ben expects one of the biggest crowds of the year this weekend, and thinks being at home is a big advantage with the way the DC fans have been coming out to support the team.
    -Boston Red Sox were taking shots of Jack Daniels before games 6 and 7...Ben wishes DC United adopted that.

then I had to go to work..

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We've been doing that in the Barra the last 5 or so games and it's been working beautifully. :)

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben was on again today and was pretty good. Talked about how the atmosphere and the game itself were the best he had ever experienced. Talked about how the team was ready to go nd broke down KC a little. Found out Freddy was walking around shirtless after the win and vowed to get him for that - "He thinks he's like a little Jay-Z out there." Talked about how the Freddy factor will help DC on a neutral field.

All in all more good publicity for the team. If we win (and Elliot refused to even think about aloss), Ben will be in studio to drink champagne next week.

4. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Good stuff from Ben. Jay-Z...classic.

God help us if the Elliot curse causes DC to trade Ben.

Tim

5. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So is Freddy's new nickname now going to be HOVA? Good to see DC United and Ben getting some more air time.

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I think Elliott was at the game on Saturday. A few comments he made indicated he was there or someone from the group definitely was. He knew Freddie was running around sans shirt after the game celebrating and was talking about the unbelievable environment.

I wish I could remember it - but Ben called Nowak something to the effect of "Big Poppa" at the beginning of the interview. All in all a great interview.

7. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I never listen to DC101 as my radio, when on, is tuned into 98 Rock. I know that Mickey (from the afternoon show of Mickey and Amelia) is a huge soccer fan and was at the WCQ at RFK. Wonder if he would ever want to have one of United's players on his show?
    It would be nice to spread the love to the other side of Maryland.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard Mickey mention United, he sure loves the Blast - and why not, the cheerleaders come up to the studio :)

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Mickey is better than Ballard but Elliott blows away KML

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's definitely a personal opinion, I listen to KML pretty much every day, I only listen to Elliot if a United player is on, that boy is way too annoying to waste valuable time listening to........ but that's why there are 17 morning shows :)
    Unfortunately no one seems to play any decent music in the mornings so you have to listen to somebody.

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

KML blows.. Too many canned bits, and seriously, I haven't yet laughed at anything that fat turd Mark has said since he's been on the air..

I am a personal friend of Elliot's, so obviously I have a biased attitude..

But in all honesty, I actually listen to the Junks..

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NPR

13. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I don't want to turn this into the battle of the morning shows but I used to like KML when they first took over the morning show on 98 Rock. However, after the second year of Kirk telling the same anal sex jokes it became old. Only time they are/were entertaining is when Mickey and Kelley Bell were on at the same time.

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Aren't they both just Howard Stern imitators?

15. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I'd say that is not true of the Sports Junkies. I used to listen to them when I drove in to work periodically. They are pretty original in radio programming, as best as I can tell. Most of their humor is sophomoric, appealing to their demographic. However, their slant is that they pretty much are obsessed with sports and weave that into everything. They of course had the Ryan Nelsen bachelor segment last year, which was entertaining. Also, as a general rule they tend to be far less degrading than Elliot and Stern.

Cheers,
    Tim