Belgium - USA (July 1st 2014)

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Belgian guy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Belgium (11)

vs.

USA (13)

Arena Fonte Nova
    Salvador

AKA Warpig vs. Jay Goppingen​

2. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Play Origi from start.

Persona and Mikebsiu repped this.
  3. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Lots of injuries on our side. Kompany, Vermaelen, Dembele, Vanden Borre. Defour with his horrendous stamp is rightfully suspended. Makes things trickier, but hopefully all of them bar Vanden Borre will be fit for the match.

The U.S. did extremely well to get out of the group; not entirely surprising given their last World Cup successes. Jones has interestingly dethroned Bradley as the MVP of the squad. Lots of potential danger in the way of Fabian Johnson's maraudering runs as well. Altidore might be fit, and he gives more of a presence up top than Johansson or Wondolowski. The U.S. are unlike the teams we played in our group; they're almost as physical as we are and they'll keep running throughout the match; I don't think we can just wear them down as easily. An early goal would be very helpful.

I think we'll lineup in a pretty standard manner. Lombaerts may replace Kompany depending on his fitness. Fellaini will probably get the start with Witsel; though hopefully he'll play more like he did in the 2nd half against Korea to insure the Americans don't overload Witsel. I think Mertens might lose his place as well; he's shown an inability to remain fresh past 45 minutes. Mirallas, Chadli, and Januzaj may be in with a shout (Adnan wasn't great against Korea, but he's tracks back very well. Origi looks more like a super sub than a starter, seeing as he was winded by the end of the last game, but can Lukaku bounce back? Tough decisions either way.

4. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Kompany will miss?

5. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Excited about this match. Think we win 1-0. That said we have played bad this World Cup, especially the first half of the game. If lukaku plays he needs to play better, and we need to be more attacking. I haven't read about kompany but I hope he plays.

6. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Belgium has always been one of my 'standby' countries to support (if Switzerland aren't 'in play')

Your team of '86 deserved better.

Michel Renquin (Servette) was the best CB/Sweeper I've ever seen. Better than Beckenbauer.

MR did at least play for the 'Rest of the World' v Argentina post 1986 WC. And was superb.

As for Belgium's current squad: You've 'got lucky' by getting so far without playing well.

Bubble about to burst - or 'name on the Cup?'

7. Majin

Majin Member+

Arsenal
    Mexico
    May 7, 2013
    Zacatecas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It would be nice to win this. A quarter-final appearance after a dozen years of absence would be a properly good tournament showing.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Mertens, Origi, Hazard

Good luck guys!

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  12. aztlanaguila831

aztlanaguila831 Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    The Bay, Sinaloa and GTO
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good luck Belgium!!! We are with you!!!

Majin repped this.
  13. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    There's the goal!!!!!!

14. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Congrats guys - the better team won today.

16. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Congrats! I am sick of you all beating my teams though :p.

brentgoulet repped this.
  17. Kendetta

Kendetta Member

Jun 26, 2014
    WA State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felicitations Belgian friends. Well deserved. Nous vous voir en 2018. I hope I typed it right. :)

Belgian guy and brentgoulet repped this.
  18. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Good game, in the edge of my seat the whole time. We need to play with more pace, and need to finish our chances. I am very excited for this teams future. Against Argentina I would like to see the same lineup. Allez Diables Rouge!

19. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    YESSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

20. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Best match played by us so far. Much higher tempo although awfully wasteful in front of goal, should won 3-0 in full time.

I always wanted to see how this team does against a super power team in a competitive tournament. Now we will get to see where we actually stand in world football against argentina. Although I think they have only two players, messi and di maria, who will bother us more.

brentgoulet repped this.
  21. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's ok, it's all over for them. You have

[​IMG]

Really, though. If it wasn't for Howard having the game of his life, it would have been a blowout win for Belgium. I see Belgium devastating Argentina on the counter, they are soft at the back.

22. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    One more issue wilmots have to resolve and its about set pieces. 19 corners and not a single head towards goal with players like fellaini, kompany and DVB!!!

brentgoulet repped this.
  23. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA fan here. Congratulations on a well played game. Obviously, the Belgians dominated most of the match, but our US guys stepped it up at the end (why not earlier????) but didn't put it in the net when they had the chance. The best team won today, but here's hoping that we meet again with a better USA team. Good luck and I hope your teams dismantles Argentina. Oh, you have a very beautiful country. Been there once and loved it.

The Clientele and brentgoulet repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Time for some fun now :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010