Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Blondo, Dec 21, 2017.
Barca, their streak won't end anytime soon.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2019/20
- Genk ... group stage pot 3 or 4, draw on 29/08
- Club Brugge ........ 3rd qualifying round - unseeded, draw on 22/07
EUROPA LEAGUE 2019/20
- Standard de Liège ... group stage draw on 30/08
- Antwerp ............ 3rd qualifying round - unseeded, draw on 22/07
- Gent ........... 2nd qualifying round - against Viitorul 25/07 (H) and 1/08 (A), seeded in the next round
Genk, Brugge and Standard will play in the group stage while Gent and Antwerp have yet qualify for the EL.
Best Belgium avoids dropping out of the top 9 this year because it quickly cascades down from there.
Won't catch Russia or Portugal any time soon. OTOH both Turkey (1.8pts behind) and Ukraine (1.4pts behind) are within striking distance. Austria and Holland are a bit further down. None from the chasing pack were on the receiving end of a particularly hard draw. Especially Holland got yet another very soft draw.
- Brugge face Dynamo Kyiv in the CL qualis, a direct confrontation with the chasers from Ukraine, on 6/08 (H) and 13/08 (A). With a win Brugge will be seeded in the play-offs and we could have two Belgian teams in the CL groups.
- Antwerp were drawn against one of the teams that drop down from the CL qualis, on 8/08 (H) and 15/08 (A). Could have had a better draw but they should fancy their chances if it ends up being Plzeň (Hrošovský will leave for Genk). Like Brugge, Antwerp can also take the coefficient of their opponents. With a win Antwerp will be seeded in the EL play-offs.
- Gent are basically in the next round already where they'll most likely face Larnaca, on 8/08 (A) and 15/08 (H). Cypriot teams have been racking up the points in recent years, running riot in the qualis, so Gent shouldn't be complacent. In the EL play-offs Gent would be seeded.
The draw for the CL and EL play-offs will take place on 5/08. All three Belgian teams will be seeded in case they reach the play-offs. Taking on sides with high enough coefficients has its benefits, as long as you can win of course. Hopefully the Belgian teams do win and get rewarded with a decent draw.
The draw wasn't kind to Belgian teams:
Full points now and they'll be needed as we're still dragged down by that nightmare season. Holland has joined the chasing pack. Antwerp could have denied them points while adding to Belgium's total, in the group stage as well. But they shot themselves in the foot. Should have knocked out a weak AZ but Antwerp didn't keep a cool head. Missed chance.
Shame Charleroi didn't take their chances. Should have made their group stage debut but it will be 4 teams in Europe instead.
Final country ranking that includes the 2016/17 performance (with two quaterfinalists, Genk and Anderlecht). Need points or next year Belgium could drop quite a few places.