before you go out and buy the iPod nano

Discussion in 'Technology' started by metro24freak, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is what I was talking about in the other Nano thread. Looks like they will replace it, so what harm is there in buying one now? If it breaks, they will fix it.

3. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I considered getting an iPod for a while, until I discovered how expensive the add on products (car outlet adaptor, tape deck adaptor, speakers, etc) were.

Also, the iPod is really just a slick MP3 player with great marketing from Apple. You can get any number of MP3 players, which will work with downloads from MP3.com. Apple isn't really adding any extra functionality with iTunes or the iPod, other than being hip and cool and featuring U2 and dancing silouettes in their commercials.

4. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Dude...why is it that whenever types iPod or MP3 Player in a post, it becomes a green link? I know spyware may cause this..but...I'm not sure if that's the problem.

5. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It has something to do with BS ads. If you get the premium BS Membership, you don't have to see them. Q

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid up and I still see them, what gives?

7. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    You probably have to get the ad-free version which costs twice.

8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yuo try logging out and back in or erasing your bigsoccer cookies?

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have this cable that I plug one end into the headphone plug, and the other end splits into red and white plugs that I plug into my input on my stereo.

I have no idea how much it cost, but it couldn't have been more than $20.

11. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the CD changer in my car crapped out, I considered getting an iPod instead of another CD changer. If I got the iPod, in order to play it in my car, I would have to get the cigarette lighter adapter and the cassette deck adapter. The cigarette lighter was $50 - $50, when normal adapters usually cost around $14-20. The cassette adapter was something like $40. Then the regualr iPod is $300. To much dinero.

So I just got another CD changer for $150. No, it's not portable, but I don't really need have portable music - there are rare occasions where I'd use it.

Long story short, the value proposition just wasn't there for the iPod and it's add-ons. Ol' Steve Jobs knows how to gouge when his product is hot - can't blame him for that. But, as good as Apple products generally are, it's not quite worth it to me for the extra cost.

12. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
  13. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    apple products are all expensive compared to its quality.

14. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Exactly. Yeah, they have nice stuff, but it's definately over priced. I don't Apple is ever going to learn.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Learn what? The iPod is the best selling MP3 player in the country, and maybe the best selling electronics device too. They're all making bank. Until another product comes out that puts the iPod the shame, Apple is going to continue selling a premium product for a premium price. However, they're starting to saturate more than a few markets. Look for a price drop around Christmas time if they're smart.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple is unique in that they are one of the few IT vendors making both the hardware and software. As far as "over priced" I concur with this assessment but quality costs big bucks today; in terms of quality Apple is #1: The Titanium Powerbook they offered seems to be the most durable and quality built laptop ever made and I would stack it up against anything ever offered in the laptop computer industry! Quality is expensive.

17. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Titanium Powerbook could actually be a good "value" propostion, if it last much longer than ordianry laptops, and offers better performance, and of course the rock solid and beautiful OSX. I'd be interested to see benchmark comparisons to it's closest competiton.

18. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    no krypto, you are completely wrong. ad free preemies do not get ads.

19. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I don't know...maybe if sold things at prices people would pay, they would make more money? Dell right now is the most common PC seller. Everyone has a Dell. If you don't have a Dell, you most likely have an HP. Why? Because they sell things at prices so that everyone can buy them. Apple sells a freakin CPU at a price that would allow for someone to purchase a pimped out Dell PC. Now, what's the better deal? Definately the Dell. But then again, if they lowered the prices, OSX would become popular, and they would lose that whole "You can't get viruses for OSX" because people would now have a reason to make them.

20. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    In a thread about the iPod, you say that Apple is overpriced and that Apple will never learn that if they just lower prices, they'd make more money by selling more product. Of course, the fact that at the price they're charging, they're still MILES ahead of any competition in the portable MP3 player market, doesn't matter.

So your rationalization is that you meant all the other things Apple sells, and not the iPod.

So what you meant to say was, "Don't buy and iPod cause iPods are overpriced. If you need proof of iPods being overpriced, please don't look at the price of the iPod, cause that doesn't matter seeing as how it is blowing away the competiton and people don't cre about the price at all. Instead, look at the price of the computers they sell and it'll prove that the iPods are overpriced."

21. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Jeff said the iPod prices are too high, and I said everything Apple sells is expensive. Good quality or not, they would make more money if they lowered the prices. There are more people out there not willing to spend the money on an iPod than people who chose to purchase one. Personally, I would lower prices so more people can purchase it, which means, more revenue.

22. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sense to me.

iPod is hot right now, but that's due to marketing, hype, hipness, and being the latest fad. However, Apple has always had mostly a niche market, where there is a small but loyal group of followers that are willing to pay all that extra money to have Apple's superior quality (OSX is eons ahead of Windows in every way, and generally easier and more polished than Linux).

But I've always thought that if they offered a more budget line of products to complement their pricier models, they would bring in many more people into the Apple camp, and increase their market share. And many of the people who buy the cheaper stuff will upgrade to the pricier stuff, now that they've had a taste and want more goodies.

Maybe that will happen with OSX on Intel. Who knows. Or maybe Steve Jobs is happy as the leader of his little cult (he's plenty rich anyway).

But I would love to see Apple increase it's market share, even though I'm more of a Linux guy. Anything that increases competition for Microsoft is a great thing, for everyone (consumers, businesses, MS competitors) except Microsoft.

23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 499 for the mac mini is too expensive, then you are too cheap.

24. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $499 is not bad. But I can get a cheap Linux PC, with lot's of goodies and decent performance, for $200. I can also get a cheap Windows PC for $300.

But the Mac Mini is perhaps the best value Apple has offered, and has perhaps increased their market share a bit. It's a good start.

And just because I'm a stickler for value for my money, and I can spot egregious price gouging, it doesn't mean I'm cheap. I'll gladly open my wallet for what I want or need, especially for my kids.

For instance, my family and I are going to Disneyland in March for 4 days. We could have gone for the cheapest hotel option down the street from Disneyland, but we gladly paid more to stay at the Paradise Pier hotel (right across the street from California Adventure and the entrance into both parks). We stayed there last time, and it was worth every penny we paid more, because it was such a nice hotel with great service, and the walking distance convenience could not be beat. In short, spending the extra on the Paradise Pier hotel provided us with tremendous value.

It looks like the Mac Mini is offering a good value proposition, and I might eventually indulge. But alas, I'm still quite happy with my existing hardware, and using Linux. ;)