Beer in RSL's stadium?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Blitzz Boy, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2453603

Governor-elect Jon Huntsman, who is also a friend of Dave Checketts, has promised to look into reforming Utah's wacky liquor laws.

What this might mean to MLS fans, if the rumor is correct, is that beer might be served in at least one section of Rice Eccles Stadium.

No, I wasn't the first in line to by season tickets. But who's up for camping out all night to be the first one to buy a legal beer in Rice Eccles?

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I know beer isn't allowed in college stadiums, but does that restriction carry over when the stadium is being used by a pro team?

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Here's an idea for The Loyalists...... make sure the only beer stand in the entire stadium is located in the Loyalists section..... That will help grow the supporters club!!

4. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Even during the 2002 Olympics, the state did not allow alcohol in Rice Eccles Stadium. (But I have to imagine that a lot of people smuggled it in like University of Utah gridiron fans do)

But you could buy wine & beer on the grounds of Salt Lake City's City Hall.

Back in 2000, the USL Utah Blitzz were not even allowed to mention that they were being sponsored by a Brewpub and the Blitzz supposedly were in trouble because they played a friendly against Nacional de Tijuana, whose uniforms were plastered with Tecate logos. But a federal court decided that the First Amendment even applies in Utah and you can mention alcohol. (The 2003 USWNT friendly here had Bud Light banners on the field, but none for sale in the stadium)

Understanding Utah's liquor laws: It's not just a job; it's an adventure.

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    With luck you guys can get special laws like the Chicago Bears got when they were at Memorial Stadium while SOldier Field was renovated.

6. JoeDub83

JoeDub83 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    MISSOULA,MT 420
    I really hope they allow beer in the Loyalist section.....otherwise I guess I'll be smuggling it all in........Anyone know if you can be put in jail if you are caught? Im really scared the mormons will revolt if beer is served..... are mormons allowed to have a temper?

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Seriosuly.... look into this !

If you want to legally drink beer at the stadium, you have to join the Loyalists. :D

8. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be honest, I don't think we are going to have alot of beer drinking going on at RSL games.

I just see most people comming to the games as being Returned Missionaries that have fallen in love with the sport abroad, and families with kids that play soccer.

But if there is money to be made, there's got to be a beer stand somewhere in the stadium I'm sure.

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Your security is going to love it when DC and LA show up for a match.... :D

10. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    These are a couple of big "ifs", but both Pints & The Cup may be right.......

If Rice Eccles ever does sell beer, it would be in the South stands; which are separated from the other seating areas.

My idea was to have visiting fans in this area. They can shout YSA, stand all game long & drink beer and the Soccer Moms in the rest of the stadium might not even know they are there.

11. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Let's do it, Loyalists! Great idea, this one!!

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

depends on where the stadium is at... it's not uncommon for college teams to use pro-venues... and it isn't like a pro team hasn't used a college's venue before as well

case in point... chicago bears had to play at the u of i down in champaign (central, east side of the state)

now, this had to go up to the county board on whether or not beer could be sold at the bears games... it passed pretty easily

on the other hand... north central was all about screwing the fire and it was in the land of naperville... that would have been impossible for the fire to get alcohol sales in that stadium... so they didn't really try

besides, there were a variety of bars literally right across the street from the stadium... less than a minute from your seat to the seat at the bar (damn did i love those walks)

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    This isn't at any stadium, but I was in West Valley City on business last month, and could have gotten a beer at any place I went to eat if I chose to, and not just at the airport. Saw what I thought was a liquor store selling beer too, but I could be wrong. The laws are touch, but not as ludicrous as you think. And a lot of the clubs I drove by didn't even have the members only ($5 for 2 weeks) signs on the outside.

If there's no beer at all, my guess is it's driven by it being a college stadium as much, if not more than, LDS ideals.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    glad you liked my idea :)

15. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    They sell a wide selection of very good beers at Earthquakes games, in San Jose State University's Spartan Stadium.

16. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    If they served the same beer selection as at Home Depot Center, I'm not sure they would even qualify as "alcholohic" beverages, and if they charged the same prices, few people would buy them anyway. (I was shocked to be charged $7.75 for the priveledge of having somebody pee in a cup for me.)