Beckham's Ownership Move

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Skippysasquirrel, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll cash in that option but I don't think he will right now. Sounds like he still wants to play a little longer

3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't say he's retiring, that's true. Maybe he'll end up on the Cosmos :eek:

Mr.Smartypants repped this.
  4. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember where I read it (or if I'm just imagining things) but I thought Beckham's expansion deal kept him out of any new team in New York. Is that right? With all that is happening with AEG being sold, I can't help but think the Galaxy might still be in his future.

5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confident NY is out. They've got NYRB and the Cosmos (which may or may not be NY2, if not, then there's NY2 as well). He might just buy into a huge chunk of Galaxy, but who knows? San Diego? OC? Miami even? Worth watching to see what happens.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA :p

SYoshonis repped this.
  7. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is my understanding the Beckham's owership option, allows him rights to purchase an expansion team for $10M fee. But this agreement excludes him from New York City and Los Angeles. It has also been reported that he has had his management, lead by Simon Fuller looked into possible locations. It is beleived that this list has been narrowed down to Atlanta, Miami and San Diego. In my opinion Atlanta and Miami look to be the best possibility. The reason is simple, in my opinion you would think that San Diego would be the favorite, with it being so close to LA. But, I think the league is reserving San Diego as possible relocation site for Chivas USA, in the event they are not able to secure a new stadium in downtown Los Angeles. Also, I think league officals will presuure Mr. Beckham into a southeastern location, because they have an Orlando francise almost ready to go. When going into a new region the league believes it would be best to go in with two franchies. Either Atlanta or Miami would play perfect into this senario. Also keep in mind that Beckham is on recored saying that a new SSS is not an issue for this ownership group, which afford to built it themselves. Which ever it turns out to be we will know soon enough. I think ihe s going to play only more season, then exercise this option. Which means the team would be granted by 2014 with play to begin in 2016.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see how these clauses aren't meant or can't be broken. I mean they've broken and made up other rules in the past to please or accommodate him so who is to say he won't or can't use in the future use his expansion option on NYC and who will contest it if he does?

9. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UGGGHHHHHHHH

And that ESPN article doesn't mention NASL at all. What is going on in NY?

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I myself like the possibility of Becks setting up shop in Orlando, but most people here don't agree. They think Phil Rawlins is the guy, and Becks would just wreck the current dynamic.

11. Soyrizo

Soyrizo Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS probably has more to gain by having Becks as a part owner of Cosmos/NY2, than they do by him paying the full expansion fee or being elsewhere.. Just what I see from how MLS is desperately trying to break into that Queens location & getting a rabid fan base/media in NY market.

12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about it, though: If you're Rawlins, and want in on MLS, wouldn't you be on the phone to Beckham? If you have the money to think about buying a franchise from MLS, which is to say in the $100 million range when you include startup costs as well as the franchise fee, wouldn't you rather partner with Beckham and his $10 million price guarantee than not? The investment required would be cut by tens of millions or dollars.

And if you're Beckham, you could leverage that guarantee into instant equity in a franchise, just by itself, by partnering with someone who would be willing to put up that $10 mill and even all or most of the startup costs.

13. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • "Beckham interested in Atlanta MLS role" (ESPN.com - Saturday, 11/28/12)
    [​IMG]
    David Beckham could be set to start franchise in Atlanta (Getty Images)

14. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

That'd be interesting, I don't think many of us saw that as a major possibility... But kudos to him. I know Atlanta is a market Garber has mentioned. I wonder what the Silverbacks (Chiefs?) have to say about it.

15. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chalk it up to wishful thinking on my part :D But he DID almost name his daughter Atlanta...

16. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    With 2 of the top Fashion cities it the world (Los Angeles and New York), 2 teams in NY (MLS-Queens1 and Cosmos) and 2 in LA.... Beckam will have his choice. I'd say he goes for a team in a suburb of LA. He has choices as Bakersfield, Riverside, Irvine and San Bernardino all have individual populations large enough to support a team (i'm guessing Chivas moves to Anaheim by then). Building a stadium in New York will be very difficult versus one of these choices. With the weighted schedules, west coast teams are not at such a disadvantage anymore.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe he will buy the LA Blues?
    [​IMG]

18. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It is possible, but I suspect that MLS would prefer to let D2/D3 develop as a successful pyramid.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You think? It didn't seem like it was all that long ago that they really cared about tiers 2-4. I guess things change though....

20. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think that MLS treats D2-D4 like a minor league of theirs.... but USSF needs to "put a foot down". Can they, who knows...

If Canada were to split off today, MLS would be down to 16 teams when the nation can support 32+ top tier teams. Pro/Rel would remove the need for "expansion" as all expansion cities would enter the pyramid at the lowest level, and as lower leagues conferences fill, you promote one year without relegation.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that Beckham's discounted franchise agreement specifically excludes the NY and LA markets.

22. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But does it exclude Anaheim..? hmmm??

Yeah I'm thinking somewhere a bit more random. I mean, maybe Orange County, but maybe Miami. Maybe San Diego! :)

23. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as ownership for Mr. Beckham's group and get the feeling at then will be buying into the Galaxy with the announced sale of AEG. Somehow I believe Papa Phil will break off the Galaxy from the sale of the whole AEG empire.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read NY but this is the first time I hear the exclusion is also for LA.

OK I just saw post #7 but is that confirmed?