Beckham

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Footstomper, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've just finished his book (excellently ghostwritten by Tom Watts). I came across it while trying to find a book on Nelson Mandela for a student and picked it up on a whim. I found it utterly compelling and wasnt able to put it down until I'd finished it. The guy is so simple and naive. He is just such a FAN, of the wrong team sadly, but his simple enthusiasm is so touching.
    This guy dreamed the dream of every football loving child and then went on to live it, while other people took care of his life. His love for his wife, his kids and his club just rings out of every page.

As a historian it was rather like reading the first two acts of a lost Sophoclean tragedy. In the third act of course the Gods take their revenge on the man who has outgrown his mortality.

PS Isnt it about time they made a movie out of 'Billy's Boots' from 'Scorcher' or was it "Shoot'?

2. norwaytips

norwaytips Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting little review Stomper. Two points, if I may. 1. If he loves his wife and family so much, why does he leap into the sack with every available and willing beauty that passes by? 2. Shouldn't it be an historian? ( same as hotel: an hotel.) He he.
    The man is an east ender. Why isn't he a hammer???????? We could do with a few of his goals. Gigging a lot lately? Tony.

3. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes it should be an Historian, but as a pedant, I hate the way it looks on paper. When I say it it comes out 'an 'istorian' which works pefectly. H is a constanant and not a vowel in any case.
    Beckhams from Chingford and his grandad was a sperm so we lose out either way