Beckham Wearing short sleeves now?

Discussion in 'Beckham Fans Forum' started by MRschizoid21, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I've read one too many psychology texts in my short life, but does anyone else think that Becks coming out in short sleeves for his first 2 LA matches this year represents him saying he truly no longer cares?
    I mean, he was always so concerned about his image that he would always wear long sleeves for just about every team and in every weather.

But now, with the book coming out and a bit of his image here in USA forever damaged, could this be the representative feature of a change in his mindset for the rest of the season? As in "I don't give a f-- anymore, I don't care if I piss anyone off anymore, I'm leaving anyway and you know it."

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The short sleeves

I think you're assuming that he wore long sleeves to cover his tatts.

I do not believe that is the case. I believe he has always said it's just a matter of personal preference/style/superstition, whatever.

But something has changed, and someone should ask him about it.

He did say he just got a new tatt of ten roses for his 10th wedding anniversary, and I don't know if they're visible below the elbow or not, but perhaps it's more to show them off than anything else.

Again, I don't know. But he should be asked. And I don't believe it's been a matter of covering up tatts before. I believe you may be reading too much into it.

3. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He did used to wear long sleeves to cover his tats, it's a well known thing although why he did that I really don't know, it's not like people in society are offended by tattoos. He has been quoted in the English media as saying thats the reason why he wears long sleeved shirts.

Why he's suddenly stopped wearing the long sleeves I wouldn't want to hazard a guess, watching that footage of Beckham and the fans was weird, I've followed Beckham ever since he first broke into the Manchester United team and it was so out of character, it shocked me. He says he wasn't calling the fan out, that he wanted a word with him to try and reason with that end of the stadium but still...weird behaviour.

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Maybe it's just the opposite and it represents him "rolling up his sleeves", i.e. really displaying his "commitment" to LAG.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But he wore long sleeves when he was 17, before he got the tattoos.

In fact, you can rarely find a photo of him from any point in his career where he's not (the occasional one does pop up from time to time).

But if it's a "well-known thing," it should be easy to point to an article where he actually says that's why he's done it, right?

I've heard both, that's why you'd think someone would have the definitive answer, wouldn't you?

6. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia

Maybe it's just because it was hot.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe they've already sold all the longsleeves they think they can sell and now they're trying to push the short-sleeve version to the Pacific Rim. :)

(BTW, this thread so belongs in General.)

8. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/england/newsid_2014000/2014573.stm

Theres your source, but I think I came across wrongly, I didn't mean that was the sole reason for him wearing the long sleeves, merely that it was well known that it was one of the reasons.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What happened here? Is this a real thread? Gotta move it somewhere . . .

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still no quote from him.

And he wore long sleeves loooooong before the 2002 World Cup.

He's long been a very valuable and lucrative commodity in Asia and the Pacific Rim. Letting that bit of info out (whether it was true or not) couldn't have hurt in that regard (didn't seem to be hurting before...then again, as I said, he's been wearing long sleeves forever).

11. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But it wasn't his first summertime match with LA. He didn't do it his first two seasons. He might have been the only field player in Germany 2006 wearing sleeves also. I am almost certain that marketing plays some factor in his decision to nearly always wear sleeves. Example, if he was thinking about a Middle Eastern payday a couple of years ago (before thinking of MLS of course), I'm sure he would have known that Muslim society looks down on tats.
    I originally wanted to make this topic Friday morning after the Red Bulls match after seeing how weird it was to see this guy running around with his tforearms displayed during a game. I know I wasn't the only one to think, "wow, when was the last time we've seen this?"

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It may be a part of it now (in which case...he's risking that right now, isn't he?), and that would be fine if he didn't nearly always wear long sleeves before he became a global brand.

13. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I would think it's analysis, but feel free to disagree.

14. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Beck's latest Tweet:

"Now in short sleeves! When did they start making these? Brilliant."

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Think news and the analysis thereof. :)

16. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop giving Sasha Cohen ideas for his Bruno character.:D

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Home > Soccer Forum > USA > Major League Soccer > MLS: News and Psychoanalysis

18. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You may be right. Perhaps, though, it's something entirely different. (Shout out to all the Trekkies/ers) Perhaps this is evil/mirror universe bizarro-Beckham. (Watch out if grows a goatee!!!!) Can't you see the real Beckham wandering the streets of Napoli, lost and confused... :p

Better still, What if it's a conspiracy created by bizarro-Beckham, the Rossi family, and Mexican gangsters to destory MLS and US Soccer from outside and in.

...just sayin', all the signs are there.;)

But seriously, I noticed the sleeve thing in the RBNY/LA match. I my first thought was it must be crazy hot in the swamp, Beckham's got short sleeves! :D

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he went to sleeves to intimidate LA Riot Squad members

20. roggie15

roggie15 New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've heard a few reasons for Beckham wearing sleeves.

First, to cover his tattoos.

Another was that when he was that when he was young he would grab onto the ends of the sleeves during games and it gave him a confidence boost/made him feel more comfortable. I thought I heard him say this in an interview on FSC a few years ago, but I can't find it on the internet anywhere and I might be completely making it up... :/

The last reason I heard was that he started doing it because he admired Ryan Giggs while coming up at Man Utd. I found that in an old thread here on BS. (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583166&page=4)

Like everyone else, I don't know for sure why he really does it . It could be a combination of all of these theories. Perhaps he got the idea from Giggs, felt confident/comfortable with it, and kept doing it throughout his career to cover his tattoos out of respect for other cultures and keep his clean image.

Why did he stop? Who knows... It'll be interesting to see how long he keeps it up.

21. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I prefer to wear long-sleeves. I just push them up slightly if it gets too warm during the game.

22. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Personally, I like my coffee hot, even if it gets too warm when I'm driving to work.

23. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (In case you haven't noticed, I think this is a non-issue)

24. pikeboy

pikeboy New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah it's weird because I noticed this too and somewhat shocking for some reason. It was 100+ degrees at the WC 2006 and he wore short sleeves against Ecuador than busted out the long sleeves in the second half. Why I remember this, I don't know. I read somewhere that he wears it for luck, but I do think that he doesn't care anymore.

25. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight makes it 3 for 3.