Beckham wants 4 months off?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by arsynic, Sep 5, 2007.

1. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    On PTI and around the horn, they've been hounding about how he's a fraud and has asked for four months off the MLS season... it doesn't make much sense because they say its "to play for England" as iif he can't do both....some english tabloid is saying this its true though

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/17942/Becks-seeks-home-loan

this link is better

2. captsapp

captsapp New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Albany, GA
    Smells funny to me. Not saying it isn't true, but if I'm not mistaken, the Express story used some old quotes to bolster a bollocks story.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garbage article. Nothing to it.

No way AEG would let Beckham do the same thing next year that happened this year (i.e. play in another league, risking injury, then show up midway through the league season).

This is just old quotes and an attempt to sell newspapers (or get web hits or whatever).

4. onlyifvickplayedsocr

Dec 30, 2004
    Yup. Saw this on "around the horn" too.

Not sure what to believe really.

They seemed to take the gossip seriously, but I know my wife probably knows more footy than anyone on that panel.

But they say, "where there is smoke there is fire." :confused:

5. TOJAS

TOJAS New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Canada
    The whole thing is ridiculous.
    This is just a rumor that started and got out of hand and, since Beckham can't play, is the only story they can generate about him.
    It's especially effective because it's truth mixed with lies--of course he wants his 100th cap, naturally he wants to play for England if he can in future, but there's not been a single source from Beckham saying he wants to be "loaned" out anywhere...
    And as arsynic said, there's no reason he can't do both (assuming he is healthy and gets called up by McClaren).
    Could be worse...he might've gotten a new hair style and THAT would be the big Beckham news story...:rolleyes:

6. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sweet googly mooglies

PTI and around the horn hate soccer (with the exception of Wilbon) so they are going to find any excuse to bash it.

They wont deal with Beckham backing up the MLS article etc but this they deal with..

EDIT: I see Wilbon isnt on it today so not shocking about the bashing

7. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW steel yourselfs for bashing until he takes the pitch again. They have there window now and will use it.

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan tried to go to the Premier League on a loan deal, and FIFA slammed the door shut on him, because he had to go, and return, during the transfer windows. (Side Note: I can't believe that was 4 years ago already!) He wanted to go January through May, but I believe he wouldn't have been allowed back into MLS until August.

http://www.phatblue.com/news8.html

Anyway, Beckham's injured, and anyway, he's in his 30's and will need a break. I'm sure he wants to play for his national team again, but a loan deal makes no sense. No one has written anything knowledgeable about this yet. The speculation articles about both Donovan and Beckham are out of control right now.

9. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw those Beckham commercials where he got all bummed out but came back and proved everyone wrong. This will be one of those. I know, i know, next season is so far away, but if that's what the gods decide, well then...