Beckham to LA: how does this effect Donovan, Quaranta and Jaqua?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DannyUpper90, Jan 11, 2007.

1. DannyUpper90

DannyUpper90 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Maryland
    Donovan and Quaranta with Beckham: Good or Bad?

Will Beckham on the Galaxy hurt or help USMNT members on the squad? I think it ill be a good thing for Quaranta, but I think Donovon's hairline just moved back a quarter inch.

2. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Re: Donnovon and Quaranta with Beckham: Good or Bad?

Donovan's always wanted to be the big fish in a small pond.

With two big fish in the pond, I wonder how he will fair being the smaller of the two. At least he finally got married to the woman who didn't want him to go abroad, so that's one less worry in his life.

It might hurt his ego, but his overall performance can't be hurt by having Beckham on the roster. It might help get him better prepared for being a forward for the MNT.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

The definition of Big Fish just changed.

Hopefully, the end result of all this is that the pond gets bigger.

If Becks doesn't bring it on Saturdays, this could be awfully embarrasing.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

A more important question is how Bianca will react to Posh?

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Bianca has a way to go before she becomes the has-been that Posh is.

That is to say, she has to become a "been." Right now, she's a "who?"

When the articles said Posh wanted to come to LA to hang with stars, they damn sure didn't mean Bianca Donovan!

Regarding the Galaxy, they now have quite the battle on their hands for right mid: Becks, Cobi, Quaranta and Quavas Kirk. Man, that's gonna be some fight.:D

In all seriousness, if Becks has anything to teach, I hope it is too Kirk, a right mid (for LA) who would seem to be in position to really benefit from some technical and tactical lessons that Becks could provide. If any of Becks skills rub off on Kirk, I think most US fans will be thrilled.

6. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how funny/terrible would it be if Beckham comes and just stinks up the place?

the prospect of all these players together makes my mouth water though...should be very very insteresting.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Donovan will be a better MLS player next season than Beckham.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Probably, and my hope is that part of the reason Donovan will be better is that he will be the beneficiary of some fine Beckham passing.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm hopeful that Landon will be driven to a higher, more consistent level of excellence. I mean, Beckham was the English CAPTAIN. There was a reason for that.

10. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA

Did you just mention Cobi Jones? Talk about tail end of their career. He needs to give it up after playing a year with Beckham just to say he did.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham's arrival will probably hurt Donovan's ego, but it should be good for him as a player. Better service and another star to take the pressure off of Donovan. Too many MLS teams focus in on shutting down Donovan. They won't be able to do that quite as much next season.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Donovan's ego is going to be just fine.

And his goal scoring is going to be even better. Finally someone who can read the game and feed a pass when it needs to be played. And someone who's going to take some of the attention/pressure off of him - both on and off the field.

Quaranta, Sturgis, Kirk, Martino, Jaqua - they're all going to benefit with having Beckham on the team.

13. SiriusSoccerFan

SiriusSoccerFan New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR

Now, Donovan will understand the boy wonder that he COULD have been...

14. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999

I think it is a good thing. Now MLS can promote the greatest roster in the History of Sports. "Donovan and Beckham together! Ready to take on the world!"

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Yallop stated Becks will play in the middle ... that Jones/Kirk/Q axis was just too tough to overcome.

As to Pete Vagenas, his future doesn't look all that rosy.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

----------------------Jaqua--------------------
    -----------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------Donovan---
    ---Quaranta-----------Becks-------------------
    -----------------Sturgis---Vagenas------------
    -----------------------------------------------
    ---------------------backline------------------
    ----------------------Cannon------------------

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know about the Beckham ordeal, but how is this going to effect Jaqua's play? I think this is exactly what Jaqua needed to be competitive for the USMNT #1 spot in the target forward role. Reason why is i highly doubt that any coach would use 6-4 Jaqua on the wing when you have Beckham (and even to a smaller scale Quaranta...has a great cross).

Now Jaqua is going to be molded into the position that we need him to be, and hopefully we'll see him really blossom in LA.

18. Rob Base

Rob Base Member

Apr 30, 2003
    'Burque, NM
    Re: Beckham to LA: how does this effect Jaqua?

I had just finished a discussion about the Beckham signing with a co-worker and told him that the guy that should be happy about this is the big forward for the Galaxy. People can say what they want about Beckham, but the guy can deliver a sweet cross. I think Jaqua should be pretty fired up. Now the guy who thought he would be the right midfield starter from last year, not so much.

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

Actually I think his reasoning was that he wanted someone with his class and experience getting as many touches on the ball as possible.

20. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know what Jaqua's heading ability is ... but it would be awesome to see Cooper on the end of Beckham's crosses! :)

21. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess Jaqua's arrival pushes Gordon to the bench? Gordon looked like a pretty good target man to me, would they ever go with the twin towers up forward, esp now that they have a guy who is as proficient as Beckham at serving balls into the box? Or do they still line LD up at forward and Gordon is a late sub for Jaqua?

On another note, for a tall dude, Jaqua's not so bad with the ball at his feet - a little like Crouch...a dude who looks like he has no business dribbling the ball, and yet is better than you'd expect.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

wow....good call i didnt even think of that. I love love love Kenny Cooper and he better be getting a full 90 against denmark. But Beckham is going to make Jaqua look like a god. Jaquas national team chances just got enhanced extraordinarily with the signing of beckham. He was a distant second behind Coop before this.....but a season with Becks picking out his head all day, this could end up being a very competitive position! for the best i hope :D

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think its great for both parties! Beckhams gonna show Donovan a how to master that good old attacking midfield position, and might get some awesome feeds to boot! and Quaranta can hopefully take a few cues how to bend it like beckham from that right side and make himself competitive at right mid for the next go around

24. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, and I forgot about Quaranta completely. LA sound like they've got a pretty decent squad for next year.

25. LORDEYE

LORDEYE BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 22, 2006

If not, if he proves to be a master of none of Beckam's bends, then he will be the Jacqua of all trades:D