Beckham on SportsCenter at 6 ET

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by todda74, Jun 1, 2005.

1. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    They are hyping that "the world's most famous athlete" will be on Sports Center tonight and that "you might not even know him". So i'm guessing that it will be Beckham since he is in NY for this weekend's friendly.

Though I have no idea what time he will actually be on. Probably at the end.

2. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not near a TV, but it has to be Beckham. Anytime they say things like that ("you don't even know about this huge thing") on ESPN it means soccer. When they did the piece on Man U and Glazer they presented from the point of view of "you're never going to believe this, but..."

3. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well... considering most Americans barely realize there are other continents on the planet inhabited by people - what should they say? :D

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Exactly.

What the real deal why you can't connect
    Why you hating people that you never met
    Didn't your mama teach you to show some respect?
    Why not open your mind for a sec?

5. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll forever despise ESPN. The most famous athlete in the world is appearing live in the United States and not only can they not say the word "soccer" but they still have to throw in the usual joke about us not knowing anything about soccer as well.

F*** em all!

6. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I can't get ESPN but I've just had a quick peek at their website and they're doing something with Lance Armstrong. He and his sport of cycling are huge in Europe, could it be him they're talking about?

7. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo...I just tuned in.

Did I miss it or have they yet to get to him?

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah...they said the most famous athlete in the world. Lance is nowhere near that.

It's probably Beckham. I just hope they haven't done it yet.

9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I know. But it's that attitude of otherness that I think holds back the sport. If they just presented it like just another sports story, instead of "oh that crazy furriner sport where they can't use their hands", things might get better for soccer in this country. When they were showing highlights of the NCAA lacrosse championship matches they didn't present it from the point of view of "hey that game Native Americans invented with the funny helmets and shorts", you know what I mean?

So who's watching this? Was it Davey Boy?

10. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Let me know when it's been on guys. erm, please, nearly forgot the good old English manners there.

11. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    He was just on a few minutes ago. He came on about 20 minutes in and was on for about 5 minutes.
    Don't worry those of you who didn't see it. You didn't miss ANYTHING. I don't know the anchor talking to him but he was a complete tool. The tone he had was "why am i even interviewing this guy". They were just fluff questions.

12. MickeyMoney

MickeyMoney Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Northeast Ohio
    It's over it was quick and painless the main points was when he coming to MLS he says never say never he left Man U and never thought he would play anywhere else.Also pushing his new shoes.Good to see Becks tho on the SC.

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, so the usual treatment the sport gets from SC.

14. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Pushing the new shoes says quite a bit, don't you think? Just like an actor with a new film or a band with a new record. Still, I'm pleased with every bit of exposure the sport can get in the U.S. at the moment.

15. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    I don't know. That Rolling Stones vs. Beatles was a tough one.

16. MickeyMoney

MickeyMoney Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Northeast Ohio

I was surprised he choose right gotta roll with the Stones(Mick is half black!)

17. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
  18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Come on, it's Beckham. What did you expect? He'd discuss quantum mechanics and the works of Nietzsche?

19. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Mick Jagger discussed economics on Wayne's World, didn't he?

20. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Was he on the Budweiser hot seat? Those questions are usually pretty fluffy.

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The overneutron will eventually overcome the proton and the electron, but you cannot know when because of the Wagnerian uncertainty principle.

22. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I dunno so much, most footballers are really into cars but they tend to be red Italian sports thingys rather than eighties Audis.

23. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    No seriously, the interview may not have been perfect, I don't know as I've not seen it yet, let's just be happy at some U.S. media coverage that doesn't make us all out to be too soft to play any other sport.
    Hey, the more times guys like Becks get exposure, the more kids who play the game at school then get drawn into other sports at a professional level will realise there's an excellent living to be made out of soccer. It also can't be bad if young girls see a guy like Beckham is a soccer player, it's bound to attract new fan's.

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the amount of face time Becks is getting in the US and as often as I've read he's said, "Never say never" about coming to MLS, I'd put money on him showing up in the first few months of next season. He'll play this coming year in Madrid, not really do that well, and they'll allow him to buy himself out of his contract. He'll come over, make a ton from adidas, Gelette and all those other sponsors. He and Posh will become the new Labron James.

25. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    we'll see him when he's 36 and not a day sooner